Home | About | Donate

NYT Touts Honduras as Ad for ‘American Power’–Leaving Out Support for Murderous Coup Regime

NYT Touts Honduras as Ad for ‘American Power’–Leaving Out Support for Murderous Coup Regime

Jim Naureckas

“How the Most Dangerous Place on Earth Got Safer” was the headline over the lead article in the New York Times‘ “Week in Review” (8/11/16), with the teaser reading, “Programs funded by the United States are helping transform Honduras. Who says American power is dead?”

The piece never really got around to explaining, though, how Honduras became the most dangerous place on Earth. That’s American power, too.

This looks like a rah rah for the US but maybe it's a spin to cover Clinton's hand in the coup that caused the problems in the first place.
People still remember that mess and how angry we were she condoned it.
Right before the election is a good time to try to erase the memory and replace it with a humanitarian face.

From the article, HRC: "In the subsequent days [following the coup] I spoke with my counterparts around the hemisphere,including Secretary Espinosa in Mexico. We strategized on a plan to restore order in Honduras, and ensure that free and fair elections could be held quickly and legitimately, which would render the question of Zelaya moot."

Maybe after the US elections, if HRC gets to the WH, we could take a page from her playbook? Could we whisk her out of the country and then "ensure that free and fair elections are held quickly and legitimately, which would render the question of HRC moot"?

Beta Caceres named Hillary Clinton as responsible for the coup. Berta was assassinated in her bedroom last March. A beautiful woman who had won international recognition, Beta will not be forgotten. Indigenous people die daily as they are driven off their lands for corporations. All thanks to the USA

Priceless commit. :smiley:

Thank you PatriciaTursi for keeping this front and center!

Thank you Jim Naureckas for sorting through this most important story and keeping it in front of us for evaluation. I too, was surprised to see this lead article front page in the Sunday Review meaning that it had received "top priority" by the editors. I naively believed that the Times was prepared to report the actual News but very quickly realized that it was yet another cheerleading campaign for More War. America has to wake up to this strong and self defeating propaganda or we will follow Rome step for step. Hillary cannot be allowed to direct this kind of deluded foreign policy. It is the Alan Dulles policy of overthrow for profit that must be exposed and abandoned...

This is close to my heart. She was so courageous and the US Empire must be stopped. Thanks for your comment

I totally agree PatriciaTursi and I will try to keep her front and center as well.