Home | About | Donate

Obama, Corporate “Free Traitors” and You!

Obama, Corporate “Free Traitors” and You!

Ralph Nader

The pro-big business President Barack Obama and his corporate allies are starting their campaign to manipulate and pressure Congress to ram through the “pull-down-on-America” Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), a trade and foreign investment treaty between twelve nations (Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, the United States and Vietnam).

You go, Ralph! The voice of America's conscience.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You did not mention my senator's amendment to this bill which would give 60 days prior to signing and ????? . Ron Wyden is telling us it protects us. ha! ha! ha! ha! like he's told us before, but I wish you would of written about it as I email him almost daily in opposition. He does still fool some of the people.

Everyone reading this should join the rising mass chorus against Fast Track and the TPP and TTIP. Go to the Citizens Trade Campaign site and add your voice. Thanks!

Excellent piece, a needed antidote to the Dave Johnson piece yesterday. I have little use for anything on MSNBC but Ed Schultz is to be complemented for this piece:

Yesterday's Counterspin has a great segment on TPP / TTIP with Karen Hansen-Kuhn.

At the top I was finally going to register the complaint that Ralph like everyone else seems just to focus on the effects on America. Then he simply explained the obvious, that the ordinary inhabitants of the other trading nations have ever had little to lose by this. Make no mistake though, this is the play of the millennium, and the forces of darkness are in deadly earnest. A new world awaits; a hard, cruel, dirty, and violent world, where a few live like gods and the rest fight for crumbs, and dignity, if it is even still recognizable.

My fed rep is tea-partier Bill Johnson of Ohio, whom I mostly despise for being the obedient magpie that he is. I'm going to message him and tell him doesn't have a hair on his tea-party ass if he doesn't oppose this in the House. Not that it'll do much good; I'm convinced the man is a programmable drone, a drill-thrall, and just another corporate lackey.

Good article, Ralph. But I think I would like to be referred to not as a consumer, but rather simply as a citizen. To be called a consumer seems to imply that my role here is simply that, to to buy and to consume. To be referred to as a citizen seems to carry additional implications, such as that I belong and have a voice. To be labeled as a consumer seems to shrink and limit my role in the republic.

Thank you Ed. I had about given up on MSNBC and have on MSM. Thank you for calling out Obama on this and with passion, too. Obama has proven himself to be a fraud and a coward. I was a delegate for him at the CO state convention in '08; worst mistake of my life.

Strether's frame is spot on: TPP / TTIP as the apotheosis / culmination of the process of enclosure to the whole planet level; the total expropriation / "primitive accumulation" of everything and everyone in a giant gulp into the maw of the coalescing capitalist project.

Talking with my housemate this morning about how hard this is for people at various levels of the political economy to grasp. Whether you are a Guatemalan peasant resisting or fleeing the expropriation / destruction of your village by a transnational mining corporation, or you are a "middle class" functionary in a corporate hierarchy at a US tech corporation submitting to the tender mercies of the "human resources" department, "reality" seems to militate against grokking the totalization that is in process, the connection of everything to everything else, the central driving force of transnational corporate capital that drives the crystallization of its ideological imperative in every interstice of society, the economy, and human consciousness.

The Guatemalan peasant surely has a better chance of grasping this totality than does the "middle class" corporate functionary. But as a "middle class" functionary myself (at a co-op not a tech corporation), i keep trying to get the attention of the people i work with and live with...

Great article. Thanks Ralph.." Free Traitors". That, in a nutshell, says it all!

How can a government with around a 5% approval rating for its legislative branch, 20% for its judicial branch and around 40% for the executive have any legitimacy to govern?

Until we undo three decades of corporations and the politicians they own decriminalizing corporate crime and financial fraud under the guise of deregulation, it will be hard to label the Clintons, Bushes and Obamas criminals.

Effective propaganda and a military/ police state with unlimited resources keep fascism expanding in the US.

There used to be an expression for getting fed up with something: 'blowing a gasket'. Imagine my delight when I came upon the 'Serpinski gasket'. Arising through the algorithms for fractals, it takes a triangle/pyramid and extracts the middle portion with an inverted 1/2 scale of it's initial form.

I submit that this is worth using as a visual image for corruption. Note that the 'extraction from the center' does NOT disturb the outer edge (perception) which it bisects in the middle (guts it). With each iteration the number of areas is trebled that can be subjected to gutting. From the presence of ideas to colonization of them and subsequently any being or land, fractional reserve banking... the list goes on. Eventually the initial form is reduced to an absence of any relational coherence of 'points', (if you get the point). Perhaps illustrative of the 'reductionist' disease that has plagued "western civilization".

Just a thought

Because it has a 100% approval rating from corporate America.

mcp

A lie detector would instantly meltdown if it was hooked up to traitor in chief Obama.