Home | About | Donate

Obama Expands Surveillance Powers on His Way Out

Obama Expands Surveillance Powers on His Way Out

Kate Tummarello

With mere days left before President-elect Donald Trump takes the White House, President Barack Obama’s administration just finalized rules to make it easier for the nation’s intelligence agencies to share unfiltered information about innocent people.

I wonder if hundreds of thousands of folks sent emails out, but just pasted a string of keywords on the NSA's "red flag keyword" list arbitrarily at the end of each email -- I don't know if it would make their computer network crash, but maybe it could give NSA employees a LOT more work to do. Maybe with an extra message at the bottom: "NSA, if you're reading this: f*ck you."

I feel very strongly that we are going through a 'western culture' crisis that has been accelerated by advertising, memes, a legacy of extractive narcissistic violence and the aggregate consequences permeating perspectives through the language we use and choices made.

There is little counter-lexicon... yet. First we need to awaken to the stunning depths of negativity in the rhetoric and " issues".

As an example here is one look at > the lexicon for love. It is rife with violence so quotidian as to be invisible. But it need not be that way. And imagine... this is just one example that can awaken each of us to a form of empowerment that cannot be taken away.

If you think about it, this makes perfect sense. if you are going to precipitate an economic and social crisis with your policies, you put in place the mechanisms to control civil unrest before implementing the policies that will create the crisis.

Conflicts between "intelligence," "spooking," and "enforcement" in the last election cycle surely underscored the motives of rulers to make shadow government more monolithic to keep internecine squabbles from causing releases of information about public figures and public policies and to get an accord about which information sources are to be hunted down and killed or otherwise eliminated.

CIA ya' later!

It's getting scary.

https://www.rt.com/shows/on-contact/373730-us-report-russian-hacking/

Peace
Po

Quite the legacy seeker.

" the stunning depths of negativity"

Aha...reminds me of “the nattering nabobs of negativism” deplored by a former US vice-president. I think it’s more a global phenomenon - the craving for quick fixes for the world’s problems, especially in the socio-economic arena, is parallel by a linguistic turn towards thoughtless cliches, empty catchphrases, resulting in an artificial, manufactured, reification of disconnected and unconnected thoughts that are often passed off as “deep, critical, thinking."

For bipartisan Obama, stupid gets equal time.

"With mere days left before President-elect Donald Trump takes the White House, President Barack Obama’s administration just finalized rules to make it easier for the nation’s intelligence agencies to share unfiltered information about innocent people."

...assuming facts not in evidence...

("You have no rights." -George Carlin)

disconnected and unconnected thoughts that are often passed off as “deep, critical, thinking."

I tend to think that is not an accident, but rather a method being assiduously pumped in an attempt to generate anxiety, uncertainty, imbalance and vulnerability. This past year felt like 365 continuous days in a squash quart/court.

Tummarello sez: "With mere days left before President-elect Donald Trump takes the White House, President Barack Obama’s administration just finalized rules to make it easier for the nation’s intelligence agencies to share unfiltered information about innocent people."

What's the problem? I mean, Trump's just going to overturn all of Obama's executive actions ...

... right?

I had something like that that I had used 8 1/2 years ago when Sen. Obama voted to expand surveillance powers.