Home | About | Donate

Obama in Hiroshima, Memorial Day and the Iran Deal

I hoped for change to peace. :frowning:

Right, Obama hugs a Hiroshima survivor and reaches an agreement with Iran not to go nuclear, even as he pushes for a trillion dollar, long term upgrade of his own nuclear arsenal. No push to get Israel to disarm their nuclear weapons, of course. Somehow, I just don't feel any safer.

Obama, STFU already.

Meanwhile, his Administration proceeds with the 1 trillion USD Nuclear Weapons Modernization program.

EnemyofWar, I love it when people "talk dirty about Empire" ---- because Empire is; dirty, murderous, deceitful, sneaky, hierarchical, elitist, lying, hidden (like a cancer), and disguises itself as our former country.

What is generally referred to in government and military circles as "lessons learned" were not learned in Obama's visit to Hiroshima --- and as George Santayana reminds us, "If we do not learn from history we are doomed to repeat it".

Visiting the end place of the Second World War of Empires (which is what WWII should always be called), was a perfect place for Obama to deliver his most important 'learning moment' that all Empires are Evil --- not just the next to the last Empire, which Reagan deceitfully described as a uniquely "Evil Empire".

Yes, Obama could have achieved a truly powerful Pacific Pivot, and he could have pivoted off Bernie's most famous slogan, "Political Revolution" if he had just completed Bernie thought as a complete sentence (with an 'object') and taught the world that all Empires are Evil, and pointed out that the current 21st century unique form of Empire has metastasized into a hidden cancer of Disguised Global Capitalist Empire which must be 'exposed' and publicly 'called-out' by firing a loud, clear, but non-violent "Shout heard round the world" to ignite a world-wide "Political Revolution against Empire" by all ordinary 'citizens of the world' in order to eliminate not only the nuclear weapons of war, but the very concept of wars which only benefit Empires and those few sociopaths whose minds have been poisoned by the "Empire-thinking" of domination.

For, as Zygmunt Bauman hauntingly puts it, “In the case of an ailing social order, the absence of an adequate diagnosis…is a crucial, perhaps decisive, part of the disease.”

Berman, Morris 2007 "Dark Ages America, The Final Phase of Empire"

"Having conceded that nations can originate in "internal" conquest, including the ethnic cleansing of indigenous peoples and the expropriation of their land, let us still observe the custom of reserving the term empire for a territorially extensive structure of rule that usually subordinates diverse ethnolinguistic groups or would-be nations and reserves preponderant power for an executive authority and the elites with whom this power is shared.

Thus an empire is characterized by size, by ethnic hierarchization, and by a regime that centralizes power but enlists diverse social and/or ethnic elites in its management."

[To which I added this note: Maier's great insight in definition of this 21st century post-nation-state DGCEmpire with varied, but aligned global ruling-Elites of global commonality in their primary allegiance to the economic ideology of Capitalism, rather than to any ethnic, racial, national, religious or patriotic commonalities.]

Maier, Charles 2006 "Among Empires, American Ascendancy and its Predecessors". Harvard University Press

"The U.S. state is a key point of condensation for pressures from dominant groups around the world to resolve problems of global capitalism and to secure the legitimacy of the system overall. In this regard, “U.S.” imperialism refers to the use by transnational elites of the U.S. state apparatus to continue to attempt to expand, defend, and stabilize the global capitalist system. We are witness less to a “U.S.” imperialism per se than to a global capitalist imperialism. We face an EMPIRE OF GLOBAL CAPITAL, headquartered, for evident historical reasons, in Washington."
[Caps substituted for italics in the original]

Robinson, William I. (2014-07-31). Global Capitalism and the Crisis of Humanity
(p. 122). Cambridge University Press.

What Americans and all people have to understand is the warning that the late great Jewish intellectual and academic expert on all empire presciently tried to warn her own German people:

"Empire abroad entails tyranny at home"

Obama wants a world free of Nuclear weapons only because it means the United States of America will be the only country left on earth with those Nuclear weapons and will drop them on everyone else.

You see, Mr Obama and others like him believe the United States of America is the worlds exceptional nation, the worlds one indispensable nation and none of the rules that apply to the lesser nations apply to the United States of America. This made evident in their every action as they support coups the world over, bomb nations that do not follow their dictates, torture peoples and call it "enhanced interrogation" and perform every single crime they accuse other nations of doing.

As long as there a United States of America existing as it exists today, there can never be a world free of Nuclear weapons because no matter the willingness of other nation states to give up the same, none of them can trust the word of the Government of the United States of America.

You got it. I call it the Democratic Shuffle. It's kind of like Michael Jackson's Moonwalking, where he looked like he was stepping forward but he slid backwards. In the Democratic Shuffle they look like they are moving to the left, in fact they do it so convincingly that low information Democrats are fooled, but in truth they are moving to the right.

Obama is a master at this. He shuffles to the left on climate change, but in truth moves to the right and opens up more drilling. He shuffles to the left on health care, but in truth moves to the right with the biggest corporate deal ever. He shuffles to the left on supporting unions, but in truth moves to the right to break teacher's unions. He shuffles to the left on being for peace, but in truth expands war. He shuffles to the left on being against nukes, but in truth shuffles to the right to increase our nuclear weapon system.

The US - "the worlds exceptional nation, the worlds one indispensable nation and none of the rules that apply to the lesser nations apply" - is joined at the hip to the other, Israel, and its extremist/terrorist pathology that has subverted whatever shreds of decency left in American politicians and media. Together thy make the true "axis of evil" and self-proclaimed exceptionalism on earth......

Naomi Klein is a brilliant analyst/commentator who speaks stark truths in the linked article everyone should read, as her other writings. The record of Edward Said should be more widely known and read as well.
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/palestine/resources/edwardsaid.html

Obama is his usual hypocrite self selling feel-good rubbish and deceit while spending a trillion upgrading/rebuilding the US nuclear arsenal and presiding over the most repressive, war-monger, corporate/banker-whore regime - arguably the most despicable, double-faced president of my lifetime.

Regardless his so-called "troubled relationship" with the Zionist terrorists & Netanyahu, they still exert great destructive influence on US policy and our treasonous political/Congressional lap-dogs, including Obama. They, with their nuclear arsenal, their subversion of US politics and foreign policy, pressing for more annual 'tribute" from American "aid", war-criminal "allies" like the Saudis, and "religious" expansionist pathology is the most destructive, deadly threat to the ME and wider world beside the US war machine.

I don't think Juan Cole deserves such harsh condemnation for this piece, he has a steady record on ME policy and writings including this piece........when Cole writes the immediacy of calls/subversion for war with Iran were forestalled for now he is correct, regardless the decimation of Syria.
As Cole writes:
"The Military-Industrial Complex is so powerful in both parties that sooner or later they will get a candidate into the White House and a pliable Congress, and they they will want to turn some ramshackle third world piggy bank upside down and shake out its billions into their accounts. The MIC made trillions off the Iraq War."
Cole doesn't kiss-up to Obama just tells it like he sees it........

Thanks EOW. I don't know what about Eisenhower you might be referring to, but I do remember him as Prez - mostly always golfing. I may have been too young, only 10 in 1955.
His words of experience as WWII General, and as prez, warning about the MICC and the horrors of war generally, and how war affects a nation in the most destructive ways, now seem from another world - somewhat reminiscent of Maj-Gen Smedley Butler. I refer to Eisenhower's words because no one today has his background or apparent moral viewpoint - at least verbal.

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

"We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron"

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity."

Presidents since have not touched on/spoken of, the inhumanity of war as Eisenhower. Obama kills without ever living the horrors of war, and his military actions, and funding, especially the trillion dollar nuke upgrade are as Eisenhower put it "a black crime against all men." - and women and children.........
https://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/all_about_ike/quotes.html

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/ike.htm