Home | About | Donate

Obama Must Declassify Evidence of Russian Hacking

Obama Must Declassify Evidence of Russian Hacking

Jeremy Scahill, Jon Schwarz

Here are two of political history’s great constants: first, countries meddling in the internal affairs of others (both enemies and “friends”); and, second, bogus charges from a faction in one country that foreigners are meddling in its internal affairs to help another faction.

Both are poison for any country that wishes to rule itself.

So if we’re serious about being a self-governing republic, we have to demand that President Obama declassify as much intelligence as possible that Russia may have intervened in the 2016 presidential election.

My GUESS is that it is highly likely that there was Russian involvement. Why would virtually the entirety of US intelligence agencies go along with a made up lie? It would ultimately be detrimental to the future of the agencies and to the US. Releasing the evidence is very problematic. I would guess that some evidence could be released without creating problems, but perhaps not enough to satisfy most people. Certainly evidence should be released as soon as deemed to be unlikely to cause problems even if that means waiting longer for the info than most of us would like.

To resurrect an old commonplace: 'that horse has left the barn.' In fact, several horses have left the barn. Obama did nothing about the crimes of the Bush administration or the criminality underlying the crashing of the economy -- this is just a continuation of the plutocratic destruction of governmental protections of those who depend on law rather than impunity, and we can expect that Obama will be "looking forward, not back!"

Logic eludes you. From the article:
"Intelligence agencies hate, often with good reason, to publicly reveal how they obtain information, or even the information itself, since that can make it clear how they got it."
Therefore, your talk of "total nonsense" is silly. Some release of information is most certainly necessary. Will it be enough to allay the doubts of most? Who knows.

Good grief. The Exxon guy was not "just appointed to state department." I call "bullshit" that you have a grasp of reality.

There are so many Putin defending progressives (and, yes, they appear to exist) it's a little scary right now. You don't have to be blind to see that there are a lot of folks in intelligence who are likely putting their jobs at risk to get this information out there. I suspect many of them are worried about the regime who will be running this country. Trump is anything if not petty and vindictive; just look at what he proposes to do with climate scientists.

Yes, as the group Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity explain, this can be done without revealing sources and methods.:

"The various ways in which usually anonymous spokespeople for U.S. intelligence agencies are equivocating – saying things like “our best guess” or “our opinion” or “our estimate” etc. – shows that the emails alleged to have been “hacked” cannot be traced across the network. Given NSA’s extensive trace capability, we conclude that DNC and HRC servers alleged to have been hacked were, in fact, not hacked." Leaks are not hacks as this article explains.

https://consortiumnews.com/2016/12/12/us-intel-vets-dispute-russia-hacking-claims/

Wow, the trolls have really jumped on this story!!! US intelligence agencies report "high confidence" that Russia intervened in behalf of Trump -- Should we trust them??? Well, the Director of National Intelligence, James Clapper, lied to Congress in 2013 about NSA collection of data on American phone calls, President Obama should have fired him immediately, but instead he went after the whistle blower. Clapper is still Director of National Intelligence, still lying that he didn't lie to Congress, and doing the bidding of Obama, Hillary, and the DNC to spread doubt about the election.

Why did those same agencies go with the made up lie that was Saddams stockpile of WMDs?

Why did the media all report on that same made up lie?

Why in both cases, when some independent voices suggest there no such weapons in Iraq, both the Media and Government agencies go on the attack and try to discredit the same?

I would point out that in the case of Canada and those stockpiles of WMDS the Canadian Agencies did not come out and publicly pronounce their own findings that there no evidence of the same. This would have embarrassed an ally. This is how group think works.

I can give other examples of multiple agncies in the USA and in other Countries going along with a made up lie.

Rogue agents, that tend to release factual information that contradicts the offical Governmnet story, tend to end up exiled or in prison.

I place blame for the old WMD thing on George Tenet after he got LOTS of grief from Cheney and the whole Bush Administration. The current situation involves lots of different agencies and I find it unlikely that all these agency heads want to suffer the consequences of Trump's retaliations unless they are reasonably certain.

"Wherever Diebold and the other most well-known voting machine company Election Systems & Software (ES&S) go, irregularities and historic Republican upsets follow. Alastair Thompson, writing for scoop.co of New Zealand, explored whether or not the 2002 U.S. mid-term elections were “fixed by electronic voting machines supplied by Republican-affiliated companies.” The Scoop investigation concluded that: “The state where the biggest upset occurred, Georgia, is also the state that ran its election with the most electronic voting machines.” Those machines were supplied by Diebold. ES&S and Diebold would later merge and now count about 80 percent of all U.S. votes." Columbus Free Press, Bob Fitrakis, 10/31/13.

Do we really have elections any more, or do we all participate in a charade, a massive vote-flipping fraud to hand our country over to the right-wing? There is no question that the republican party nationwide has very publicly engaged in voter suppression, but the real question arises about the very private, massive, nationwide election fraud perpetrated by the right to engage in what amounts to a political coup. The part that astounds me is just how easy it has been. The very validity of our system of voting has been placed beyond any serious investigation, including the ease with which our voting machines can be hacked to flip votes, whether it be by the republican right or by the Russian state to ensure the election of a weak-minded idiot who thinks the sun shines out of Putin's ass. Jill Stein has just learned the hard way just how resistant to investigation our voting machines, and thus our system of elections, have become. Heads in the sand is the order of the day, as the right-wing marches rampant over the will of the people of this country by fraudulently flipping votes.

So, by all means, let's investigate our voting system to determine the validity of our elections. Right now, it does not look much like a democracy, but a passion play designed to both install the far-right and mollify us that we have actually democratically chosen them.

Thank you! Some sanity for a change. I've been feeling recently like I'm living in the 50's and 60's again, just replace the dirty Soviet commies with Putin/the Russians. Gawd. When my dad passed a few years ago, we found a Life magazine from the early sixties in his stuff--the whole issue was how to build an underground shelter, stow away emergency food/supplies, etc, for the coming attack by the Soviet Union. It was funny to read a couple of years ago, but now they might as well just republish it, since we're supposedly facing the same evil, only the name has changed slightly. Insanity reigns.

Well said.

Usually because they are told to, it seems.

Lying is what makes keeps secrets secret.

I agree, except Jill Stein is not learning this for the first time. She's teaching the public about it.

Of course it's "total nonsense" that people should rely on their government to always tell the truth or even half a truth. Yet, it is not in our nation's interest to reveal "the totality of the evidence" since it would obviously compromise future intelligence gathering. We do need as much evidence delivered to us as is possible, of course, and hopefully more as soon as possible. Of course, it is also true that our nation's intelligence agencies do not want to incur the full anger of Trump. They would/will pay a price.

catsma, apparently you are unaware of the very close call that the world barely avoided during the Cuban missile crisis. A Russian sub commander more or less saved the world.

https://consortiumnews.com/2016/12/12/us-intel-vets-dispute-russia-hacking-claims/

This article refutes our claims and points out fallacies in the "official" position.

As it makes clear the agency that has the tools to monitor such communications is NOT the CIA. This falls under the purvey of the NSA and associated agencies in the 5 eyes countries, All of these entities have the ability to monitor the flow of packets into and out of the USA. Their ability to do this is well known to Russia so the claims made they must keep secret these capabilities is bogus.

The NSA can offer clear proof via their packet sniffing technologies as to whether Russia was in fact hacking. In fact in a previous incident where they investigated hacking by a Chinese group , they tracked the hacks to an EXACT building in China and gave the hours the hacks occurred.

That they can not and will not offer this proof suggests to me they are inventing this out of nothing just as multiple agencies in the USA claim Russia has invaded The Ukraine.

Tenet operated under the direction of the Bush administration just as all of the other agencies did at the time. Tenet did not and could not give orders to those other agencies to join him in providing false intelligence. He did not have the authority, The order to cook the intelligence came from the top and was distributed to all agencies. These agencies do not operate independently. They are run by people that follow orders.

Not everyone is an order follower. Some have a degree of scruples. With a large number of intelligence agencies in agreement, I find it difficult to believe they are all lying. For one thing, it would come back to haunt them after January 20! Just because we, at one time, tracked hackers to an "exact building" does not mean we can always do that and even if we could, so what? They track it to an exact building in some area around the edge of Russia and what does that prove? Going for 100% certainty on this issue is difficult, but a high degree of certainty is plausible, perhaps.

Lol are you kidding? Why would the entirety of the US intelligence agencies go along with a made up lie?

Because that's their fucking job.