Home | About | Donate

Obama Quietly Establishes Controversial Anti-US Propaganda Agency

Obama Quietly Establishes Controversial Anti-US Propaganda Agency

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

In the final hours before the Christmas holiday weekend, U.S. President Barack Obama on Friday quietly signed the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) into law—and buried within the $619 billion military budget (pdf) is a controversial provision that establishes a national anti-propaganda center that critics warn could be dangerous for press freedoms.

Divest
quit using the dollar
move to a local currency
record everything
occupy the courts
Occupy city council meetings, first and foremost.
Especially if you don't have a job, make it yours.

This is direct proof the government has been serving the war mongers and no one else.
Break ranks with the establishment in any way you can.

This cannot stand.

The planet is not on Atlas, but knife edge.
Her skin has being broken, the bleeding is about to become a flood.

uh, ya think!

All the laws our elected terrorists pass have names that are the opposite of what they actually do ... we are in full-blown 1984, and the first Black President is responsible for much of it!

They want to force me to get news from FOXCNNPR, you know, fake news.

Peace
Po

They used to say, "The truth shall make you free!"
* Now, it may well be, "The truth shall get you a bunk in a concentration camp."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
Joseph Goebbels, MiniProp for Hitler’s Third Reich
1897-1945
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* And so it continues in the US Fourth Reich
;-})

This is very much in line with Israeli subversion and their efforts/pressure forcing governments to ban any criticism of the terrorist state and especially the BDS movement! Not to mention US spook agency, and political party secrecy and suppression of media, press and internet sources, as well as continued suppression and prosecutions/imprisonment of whistle-blowers, one of Obama's great "accomplishments"!

BOYCOTT, DIVEST, SANCTION!

I loathe the day I was a delegate for this guy at the 2008 Colorado State Democratic Convention. Obama will be rembered as the most spineless, forked tongue president in US history. Jan 20th cannot come soon enough.

Yeah, the fire is always preferable to the frying pan.

As for me, I was never fooled by Obama - he always looked to be pretty damn right wing to me going back to his 2004 keynote address. My memory of that evening of November in 2006 was one of sitting quietly in front of the TV, looking at all those people crying for joy in Grant Park and feeling like a kill-joy wondering why so many people are such dupes. And most importantly, why so many people look to voting for charismatic "leaders" as the source of their empowerment rather than instead of organizing, organizing, organizing.

Of course, Obama is not skeptical of a bill introduced by a (to say the least) dubious Republican.

Common Dreams says:

The new law comes weeks before the New York billionaire assumes the presidency, amid national outrage over the spread of fake news and what many say is foreign interference in the election, both which are accused of enabling Trump's victory.

National outrage?
Don't you mean US-govt-mass-media-manufactured "outrage" ?

I seriously doubt that anyone but political operatives are "outrage[d] over the spread of fake news and what many say is foreign interference in the election." The only real "outrage" is among those of us outraged over the whole manufactured "fake news and foreign interference" propaganda meme. It is outrageous.

You memory is failing - Obama is just continuing the the USA PATRIOT Act the AUMF and other vile stuff pushed for and signed by GW Bush. I seems that most commenters here have completely forgotten about this guy - yes, still alive, and still a fugitive from justice on his 1600 Acre "Prairie Chapel Ranch" near Crawford, Texas.

Over a long number of years, countries targeted by US propaganda (or worse) have learned how, and developed the means to counter that propaganda by disseminating truthful material worldwide.

That growing ability has the DC neocons furious and terrified.

Das Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda is their response.

Keep in mind this same President under the NDAA signed into law a Bill that authorized US Government agencies to use propaganda directly against US Citizens.

This was done in 2012. Now they are signing a law they claim to limit foreign propaganda.

If you read the various press releases by the persons who first sponsored this bill they claimed it will help ensure "freedom of the press".

This IS 1984 and the Ministry of truth.

According to the following link.

The Egyptian Government recently arrested 5 people inside of Egypt for manufacturing what they called "propaganda videos" These were videos of peoples claiming they Syrians trapped in Aleppo and being bombed by the Russians and Syrian Government.

The peoples making the films were using Children to make the videos.

This did not appear anywhere on the MSM in the USA. These are the kinds of articles the US Governmnet does not want the people to see.

The Ministry of Truth. Obama's Xmas present to Republicans.

Or try the New York Times or the Washington Post -- the biggest propaganda rags around. The oligarchs just can't stand being exposed as liars.

It doesn't matter one bit. If there are no ice caps on the planet, habitat collapses. If the droughts continue, so do the wars and the refugees.

This is just an attempt to appear powerful, when in fact they have not one clue about what to do next.

Your memory is the one that's failing. NDAA has been signed with additional freedom restricting amendments every year since the 1950s...

Power has tolerated the internet up until now because it hasn't stopped the steady succession rituals of elites and their rule.
That's finally changed, so a draconian response to that was inevitable.
Up until now, many people were worried about net neutrality.
This new set of laws makes that an irrelevant debate. They're not just going to limit access to these sites, they're going to criminalize them.
So I guess congratulations are in order, right? We're China! (well, without the industrial output)