Home | About | Donate

Obama Should Pardon Edward Snowden. Today We’re Launching a Campaign to Make It Happen

Obama Should Pardon Edward Snowden. Today We’re Launching a Campaign to Make It Happen.

Anthony D. Romero

Thanks to Edward Snowden’s act of conscience, we’ve made historic strides in our fight for surveillance reform and improved cybersecurity. That’s why today, ahead of this week’s release of the Oliver Stone movie “Snowden,” we’re unveiling a major effort calling on President Obama to pardon the NSA whistleblower.

Won't pardoning Snowden foil Clinton's commitment to the military industrial complex (MIC) to restart the cold war with Russia ?

Happy to sign the petition as well. I didn't realize until I read this and followed the links that the specific reason that Snowden can't come back is because he is being charged under the Espionage Act rather than under a law that would allow for a whistleblower defense. Thus, changing the charges and letting him have his day in court is the solution that probably works better than a pardon.

imo, the MIC will never allow much to be revealed in a court trial, so therefore, they will probably not allow a trial.

How's that 'feet to the fire' thing been working with Obomber the past 8 years?

Perhaps not - though Snowden would be able to put up a fine whistleblower defense with material that is already public so nothing new need come out.

Chelsea Manning should be pardoned first.

First. I love to read your posts Mark.

Could I add that the sting ray surveillance towers that allow the police to capture cell phone information are manufactures by the Harris Corporation among other companies. The former CEO of its China subsidiary recently settled a FCPA sec suit for bribing Chinese public officials.

http://www.fcpablog.com/blog/2016/9/13/former-ceo-of-harris-corp-china-unit-settles-fcpa-offenses-w.html

I'm still mad at Ron Wyden (my senator) who knew about this and decided to keep it to himself instead of using his privilege as a Senator to release the information on the Senate floor. It's Wyden's failure to serve the public that left Snowden to put his life on the line for the public good.

I feel like she's in the most immediate danger, so if it was up to me, I'd start with her. I suppose there are practical and strategic reasons for activists to start with Snowden.

Vote for Jill Stein so we don't have to triage the political prisoner emergencies.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
T. Jefferson

“One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.

“Protest beyond the law is not a departure from democracy; it is absolutely essential to it.”
― Howard Zinn

“It is not always the same thing to be a good man and a good citizen.”
― Aristotle, Selected Writings From The Nicomachean Ethics And Politics

“Colorful demonstrations and weekend marches are vital but alone are not powerful enough to stop wars. Wars will be stopped only when soldiers refuse to fight, when workers refuse to load weapons onto ships and aircraft, when people boycott the economic outposts of Empire that are strung across the globe. ”
― Arundhati Roy, Public Power in the Age of Empire

“If the injustice is part of the necessary friction of the machine of government, let it go, let it go: perchance it will wear smooth--certainly the machine will wear out… but if it is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong which I condemn.”
― Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience and Other Essays

Thanks for that, at the risk of getting you going, I just want to mention afgj has a list, some of whom are listed with Amnesty Int'l, and they have this tidbit:
"The U.S. has 5% of the world’s population, but 25% of its prisoners."
Good thing our pres is a Nobel Prize winner or it would be worse, right?

Chelsea Manning should be pardoned TOO!!

i think you made a great insight and analysis concerning the "...make me do it" canard.

I remember that when W. was squeaked in and proceeded to immediately push the government to the Extreme Right as if he had a mandate, there was no "feet to the fire" necessary for him to do what he wanted to do, the other fifty percent of the voters who voted against him be damned.
It exactly is a bogus, misdirecting excuse.

You can't really blame them...

Snowden is in Moscow, tweeting, giving interviews (you don't get that just because Putin has a good heart), Russian hackers are all over US networks (probably using NSA tools), then you have articles like this one, showing a well planned and organized extraction. Some people are bound to put two and two together and think he was an FSB asset from day one.

Outstanding quotes...inspiring! :flag_us:

Or imprisoned and tortured thirty years for whistleblowing. These are the real heroes.