Home | About | Donate

Obama's Fateful Syrian Choice

Obama's Fateful Syrian Choice

Robert Parry

There is an obvious course that President Barack Obama could follow if he wants to lessen the crises stemming from the Syrian war and other U.S. “regime change” strategies of the past several decades, but it would require him to admit that recent interventions (including his own) have represented a strategic disaster.

I hate to say it, but the wrong choice will be made. So that the nation can save face.

I think President Obama has the rhetorical skill needed to defend making the right choice, but there is no price if he goes along with those who are demanding regime change. Unless, of course, a hot war breaks out between NATO and Russia.

I am actually surprised that Turkey hasn't been convinced to invoke one of the NATO accords and demand that the west send military help for them to secure their borders against the threat from Daesh.

The decision has already been made. Just like Saddam and Ghdaffi, Assad must go! That has been the standing policy of the Obama administration for years. If Hillary, or JEB! ultimately win next year's election , so what?!! Assad must go.

The chronicle of US foreign policy and actions reads like a Dr Seuss child's story. In fact it reads like the classic Marvin K. Mooney, written by Theodore Geisel in 1972 and adapted by political humorist Art Buchwald (with Geisel's consent) and published as a column in the WAPO two days before Nixon's resignation.
So here in memory of both Buchwald and Geisel is my adaptation of that classic and it is best read aloud for maximum impact.

Bashar al Assad will you please go now!
The time has come.
The time has come.
The time is now.
Just go.
Go.
Go!
I don't care how.

You can go by foot.
You can go by cow.
Bashar al Assad will you please go now!
You can go on skates.
You can go on skis.
You can go in a hat.
But
Please go.
Please!

I don't care.
You can go
By bike.
You can go
On a Zike-Bike
If you like.
If you like
You can go
In an old blue shoe.
Just go, go, GO!
Please do, do, do, DO!

Bashar al Assad
I don't care how.
Bashar al Assad
Will you please
GO NOW!
You can go on stilts.
You can go by fish.
You can go in a Crunk-Car
If you wish.

If you wish
You may go
By lion's tale.
Or stamp yourself
And go by mail.

Bashar al Assad
Don't you know
The time has come
To go, go, GO!
Get on your way!
Please Bashar al!
You might like going in a Zumble-Zay.
You can go by balloon . . .
Or broomstick.
Or
You can go by camel
In a bureau drawer.
You can go by bumble-boat
. . . or jet.
I don't care how you go.
Just get!

Bashar al Assad!
I don't care how.
Bashar al Assad
Will you please
GO NOW!
I said
GO
And
GO
I meant . . .
The time had come
So . . .
Bashar WENT."

http://uprootedpalestinians.blogspot.ca/2015/09/russian-intelligence-exposes-diabolical.html

Another revealing article as to what goes in here. The author suggests Russia aware ISIS a US proxy and that the ultimate goal of the USA is to insert ISIS into central Asia to use against Russia .

This has been the goal since the USA supported the Mujahadeen. They have never stopped pursuing this straegy.

Yes, we've got to keep teaching those Russkies a good lesson or two, or three, or four.... :scream: And, they have more potential national wealth in the form of food, energy, minerals and what have you than the U.S. does. Yes, we'll both go broke, teaching each other a lesson on how to ruin a beautiful planet, in less than century or so, too. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the rest of the world hopes the are not sacrificed completely to American Empire. ( Insert Smedley's " war is a racket " quote here. ) I sure wish them luck with that: hope after all, dies last, I'm told. Maybe somebody ought to reassure them about that, though.

I am disappointed that the essay omits Richard Perle, et al, and their two polemics. The first was "A Clean Break: A New Strategy for Securing the Realm". This was written in 1996 and presented to Benjamin Netanyahu at the beginning of his first term as prime minister. Richard Perle was a member of the board of directors of the Jerusalem Post at the time. It called for replacing the regimes of all Arab states that supported Palestinian rights with ones that would recognize Israel and drop any support for Palestinian rights. Iray, Libya, Syria, and Iran were in their crosshairs in the polemic.

Retitled as 'Project for a New American Century" it was pushed in Washington.
I believe it is this document and its authors and fellow travelers who are behind the regime change mantra in D.C. Outing them needs part of the discourse to end these endless wars.

Interesting link SuspiraDeProfundis, something important is going on, possibly President Obama is finally ready to place a wedge between the White House and State. We'll see. Separating from the neocons would be a very bold move.

I have read some of the things Lavrov have said before and this guy as a way of stating thngs in such a manner that you can not help but realize something much deeper goes on and that Russia is fully cognizant of it and that Russia will not stand idly by as the Western powers pursue that agenda.

I don't think there is any doubt that Putin is "...aware ISIS a US proxy and that the ultimate goal of the USA is to insert ISIS into central Asia to use against Russia." But I don't see how where you can infer that Parry suggests this - in fact, I see him suggesting all sorts of nonsense that does nothing but attempt to steer readers away from this inference.

Parry talks about the way the West created "al Qaeda", but further on he supports the official narrative - that "al Qaeda" is our Frankenstein that escaped our control when "Saudi extremist Osama bin Laden and his
Al Qaeda band enabling them to plot terror attacks against the West,
including the 9/11 assaults on New York and Washington."

This is utter BS, a fact that has been clearly demonstrated in numerous ways, the most dramatic of which was the testimony of former FBI translator and whistle blower Sibel Edmonds in which she revealed the contents of classified documents showing that Osama bin Laden was a CIA asset up until he became too ill to continue - three months after 9/11.
(google global research three-months-after-911-u-s-and-nato-worked-with-bin-laden-and-his-top-lieutenant-report/5333767)

Totally agree!

I was referring to the link i included in my post and not the Parry article. read the link.

Parry is correct, as usual, but he shouldn't hold his breath waiting for Obama to crawl out of the bed he occupies with the usual suspects from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey and Israel, the folks who really dictate U.S. foreign policy in the Mideast. Also as usual, the war in Syria is all about economics especially the huge new gas deposits in those conspirator-nations that need their pipelines to go through Syria to most efficiently reach Turkey and the Mediterranean. Wasn't it odd that all the key players virtually ignored the Assad regimes for decades, but once those pipeline routes became all important, the "Assad must go" campaign was launched at full volume? Of course, the Democratic and Republican parties are eager to kowtow to those big money interests and adjust their rhetoric accordingly. It's all very disgusting and unseemly, and only the Russians hold any moral high ground on this issue. So if Obama can change America's disastrous policy on Syria, more power to him and he finally will have earned his Nobel Peace Prize.

See Vladimir Putin press conference here: http://www.voltairenet.org/article188611.html

"arguably the worst blunder in the history of U.S. foreign policy"

Correction. "Arguably the worst blunder in the history of the USA's foreign blunders policy".

Turkey hates Kurds.
Daesh hates Kurds.

Ho hum........say no more.

Yes, but the problem is far broader than Syria; the "regime change" demands by our Government apply to any nation which shows any inclination to pursue its own goals (witness Venezuela, Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Ecuador -- much less Cuba, Russia, China) despite the contrary policies of our Government. Obama is just as much a promoter of US "exceptionalism" as any of our Presidents have been, whether Democratic or Republican. So long as we continue to elect Presidents whose primary message is "We Are Number One," we will continue to promote world wars, economic depradations, etc. And unfortunately I don't see that sad spectacle changing in the foreseeable future, given the basically callous, selfish people we are.

Rec'd for Great Wall of Seuss.

But the Syrians who have been passing through Austria lately are saying that they have fled from Assad's terror campaign, not from IS. That argues against any alliance with Assad.

No more big business types in the White House, cabinet, the Fed or congress. No more think tank types in the cabinet, pentagon, treasury or State Department. The best place for these types is Super Max, or on the front lines of the next war that they advocate for!

Who controls the media in this country Stan? Syria, Libya, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen, Greece, Spain, Portugal or Ireland. You hear, read or see what the government and the elites want you hear, read or see! Or as the Firesign Theater use to say,"Everything You Know Is Wrong"!