Home | About | Donate

Obama's Push for Corporate Rule: A Moment of Opportunity

Obama's Push for Corporate Rule: A Moment of Opportunity

David Korten

Only a few months ago, President Barack Obama was at loggerheads with Republican members of Congress intent on destroying his administration. With bewildering speed, Obama has since turned against his own political base to form an alliance on trade issues with those same Republican members of Congress.

No surprise here. He is doing exactly what his CIA shadow government masters installed him to get done. Finish the Bush/Cheney 24/7 police state and secure financial hegemony for the oligarchs.

Anybody who is "stunned by the emergence of this unholy alliance" (Obama and the GOP) must not have been paying attention to Obama's Cheshire Cat grin in November 2010 when the GOP won control of the House of Representatives. Obama could not stop gushing about how much he was looking forward to "bipartisanship" in working with the GOP.

"Bipartisanship" in Obamaspeak means selling out to the GOP and chastising his base when they complain about it.

Are you saying he's not a Marxist Muslim? I'm shocked, I tell you...

Why is it that almost all of the large corporations support gay marriage?

One thing we do know, however, is that corporations really, really, really hate labor unions.

Aren't labor unions a minority group today? At 13% of the slave market, it seems that they are.

"We could do nicely with a far smaller federal government, if we limited the size of corporations and structured their ownership to assure that they are accountable to the people of the communities in which they do business."

If we limit the size of corporations we lose their economies of scale.

We need to fetter the insanely greedy to enhance civility and prevent environmental destruction. But this can only be accomplished direct democratically, not by corporate politicians making the rules.

We can do it by setting a cap on personal net worth in yearly referendums and electronically distributing personal wealth excesses to each citizen equally.

The mistake these corporations are making (which they avoided for decades) is that now they have become so greedy that they try to turn their employees into quasi-slaves and use what little they were offering as benefits to line their pockets even more. So we are reaching the time when American workers have nothing to hold on to--no full time work, no benefits, no pension, no mutual loyalty...The end of corporate rule seems inevitable just because greed has clogged the brains of the top layer; just as it did the aristocrats of 18th century Europe. They will push their agenda until the people push back.

In the 2016 election if we end up with Corporate candidate A vs. Corporate candidate B I will write in the name of the late Howard Zinn as a protest vote and hope others find their own way to register a protest. I wish we had a system that allowed a third party to exist, but we don't and they only become the spoiler in our current system. To abstain from voting only sends the message that one is too apathetic to take the time to vote. Until we get elections that corporations can't buy, I will cast my protest vote. Hopefully if others do likewise, the world will see what a farce our elections have become.

Same sex marriage costs corporations nothing and even provides added profit centers for some corporations.

Unions negatively impact corporate profits.

It IS that simple.

Without Instant Runoff Voting or some time of rank voting, we run the risk of the 2000 election all over again. I know Ralph Nader didn't give us George W. but the perception is there and it hurt the Green Party.

I don't think so.
They support homosexual marriage mainly because they are trying to reduce world population.

I know that it is easy to imagine a shadow government pulling Obama's strings, but I think that Mr.Korten is more on target when he describes corporate power as "a robotic system" that operates simply to extract profits, no matter what the cost to the rest of the planet. There is no master plan at work, simply a host of executives exerting the power of money to make even more money. The people working in the CIA, NSA, Pentagon, Congress are for the most part only building their resumes and connections, for later cashing in when they move on to the corporate world. Nobody, and certainly not the president consider themselves responsible for the "way the world works." May as well make a buck while they can seems to be the totality of their philosophy.

Thomas Jefferson wrote a couple of things which I think are definitely apropos here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.”

Thomas Jefferson
				1743-1826

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Apparently, the chains became too rusty and were broken, but that does leave the second one. I think the tree is looking pretty bleak, needs manuring.
;-})

Jill Stein...read her platform. This is a progressive.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The incestuous ties between the CIA and corporate media are well documented in "The Brothers" As well as their ties with the rich industrialists and State Department. Obama was groomed and installed to deflect the wave election caused by the 2000 coup and BushEconomics and illegal war of opportunity. Obama has a CIA pedigree in his work record which is why a lot of it is hidden.