Home | About | Donate

Obsessing About The “Thin Blue Lines” While Elite White-Collar Crime Runs Rampant

There are at least 3 tiers to this strategy:

"Why is it that our police forces, which are massive, not “thin,” rarely investigate elite white-collar crime and refuse to even collect data on it? Why do Sparrow and Friedman conflate “street crime” with “crime” – implicitly excluding elite white-collar crime? A candid discussion would demonstrate two uncomfortable truths documented by criminologists. The criminal “justice” system is rigged in favor of elite white-collar criminals because of their political, economic, and cultural/class power. The same system is often rigged against disfavored minorities and poorer Americans."

Part 1 is to push the narrative that crime is endemic to the inner city (Black) community without mentioning the dearth of jobs and the sub-standard public school education too frequently offered.

Part 2 involves the IRS. Ralph Nader (and others) have pointed out that the IRS has been deliberately under-funded, and the result is far less audits. Typically, it is NOT the rich who are audited, either. Mr. Nader has shown the profits to be made from MORE I.R.S audits, particularly when they are aimed at those who make more than $100,000 a year.

Part 3 involves the offshoring of tax monies and related responsibilities, an act turned into a sophisticated art by imaginative attorneys who have learned how to retain the most amount of money for their clients leaving crumbs for the tax man and all that taxes are in place to fund.

The items I've mentioned contribute to the culture of impunity allotted to the already comfortable while punishments are ruthlessly meted out to others... especially those with the greatest needs.

Not only are the middle class audited far more often than the wealthy, the auditing process has changed whereby it costs more to be audited because you can no longer walk into an IRS office with your original documents and show them to an agent, you must copy every document and mail it to the IRS. The cost of copying can easily run into the hundreds of dollars when you consider the labor it requires. Add $20 to $30 for postage and the value of the deduction is quickly eliminated even if you prevail in the audit.

Back in the late eighties, enough people with some semblance of power were directly impacted by the Savings and Loan fraud scheme that Professor Black investigated. Those found guilty faced some jail time(a thousand bankers, no less). Even then the people who really profited from the scandal were never under scrutiny, and there are no criminal cases against these people.

(Please see the book by Brewton and interviews with him for full details
https://www.amazon.com/Mafia-CIA-George-Bush/dp/1561712035?ie=UTF8&ref_=asap_bc)

No bankers went to jail for the illegal Banker activities that caused the great depression.

Now the collusion between the powerful and perpetrators has a depth of enmeshment that seems inseparable.They are one and the same organization. Parts of the Senate and the house are the mafia, and most of the attorneys who became senators and representatives are there to make money for themselves through the criminal activities of the banks.

If you are not part of the cabal, then you have no power.
You are just shroomed to believe that you live in a democracy.

Don't expect slave drivers to punish the owners of the plantation.

And to Professor Black's point, today's announcement regarding Hillary's emails.

In Illinois former Governor Dan Walker pled guilty to bank fraud and perjury at the peak of the late 1980s savings and loan crisis. After a year and a half in federal prison he was released. Are you referring to other people than people like Dan Walker who "really" profited and got away with it?

Good timing for this article with the announcement that Hillary will not be charged.
A perfect example of white collar crime excused. Mistakes were made but not intentional, blah, blah blah. No there are two sets of laws, ours and theirs and theirs always win. Nice arrangement since the election was stolen, she used criminal behavior with the emails, lied and so on, but no charges for her she's royalty.
But Sterling is in jail with no proof of anything intentionally done.

Please refer to Mr. Brewton's work.

I really respect and appreciate William K. Black.
He helped to convict and imprison about 1,000 fraudulent bankers in the S&L crime scandal of the late 1980s.
(In contrast, Prez Obama and AG Eric Holder refused and failed to convict EVEN ONE Wall Street banker!)

But as the final sentence of this otherwise good article, Mr. Black writes:
"Hillary Clinton could, and should, embrace that restoration of the rule of law."

This statement is absurd and astonishing!
Mr. Black surely knows that Hillary Clinton WILL NOT restore the rule of law.
And Mr. Black surely knows that Hillary Clinton is one of the criminals (and has been paid big bucks by even bigger criminals than she is)!

I wonder why Mr. Black would say such nonsense -- instead of saying that Hillary Clinton is a white collar criminal.
(Let's all define "is" for Hillary and Bill Clinton!)

Absolutely right.

Thanks for this Zero,

I'd hadn't seen this! Fascinating stuff. I hadn't know that Iran-Contra was tied into the S & L crisis. What a tangled web!

This evening I heard a homeless man interviewed, regarding the current program of "sweeps" by a large number of police officers clearing homeless people out of East Village, the gentrified area of San Diego that used to have old warehouses and lofts populated by artists, who got booted out once the investors came in on the heels of development money showered on contractors connected to building the new baseball stadium.

That community of artists, community garden tenders, etc, lived among, and largely sympathetic to the homeless population that stayed close to the few resources available located near East Village.

Now, that area is essentially a playground for the wealthy. Sure, there are some high priced galleries, but the more interesting artist compounds, etc are long gone.

In come the police tactics to corral the homeless.

Whenever there is a major convention, like the upcoming Comic Con, and upcoming All Star Baseball game, San Diego police start harassing the homeless population in East Village by doing once a week sweeps of the area, confiscating belongings, issuing tickets, and of course incarcerating anyone that has the nerve to talk back.

It is an ugly ugly scene, beating up the already downtrodden.

The guy interviewed said that in just two days he received two tickets for having illegally blocked the sidewalk he was sleeping on. Now he is faced of course, with tickets he can't possibly afford to pay, which will grow to hundreds of dollars each, and each will eventually become warrants for arrest, and of course institutionalized incarceration for the horrible crime of being dirt poor.

Incredibly unjust, incredibly sad.

Thanks TJ/EOW
Reposted by others on subsequent discussion after my post.

Sorry for not giving you credit. I'll try to mention you next time I use it. That's just kind of how we do it here at CD. CD's kind of a collective commune for information. I think you are on to something important that probably went on also in 2008, but we just don't know about what that TARP loot was used for.

History repeating itself, right down to the same crime families.

Cheers

TJ

No worries at all, TJ - I should have left out the last bit - it is after all freely available to all, and you are absolutely correct about the Creative Commons Collective (term established by Professor Lawrence Lessig)

As people who are awake, I feel like we should be constantly connecting the dots. Unfortunately the type of journalism on display by Professor Brewton is now virtually non existence, in no small part to the deliberate opacity of the criminals.

Your mention of the 2008 prompts me to cite the documentaries 97% and the four horsemen- You are probably aware of both.

regards
Zero

No, I'm not familiar with that one either:

"97% and the four horsement?" Was that "t" at the end a typo?

t=typo
(yes)
two seperate docs, by the way

I miss disqus sometimes