Home | About | Donate

Ocasio-Cortez Calls for Furlough of Congressional Pay Next Shutdown

Ocasio-Cortez Calls for Furlough of Congressional Pay Next Shutdown

Common Dreams staff

US Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) on Saturday called for congressional salaries to be put on hold during the next government shutdown.

The US government went into a partial shutdown at midnight on Friday after President Trump refused to sign a spending bill that did not include $5 billion for his wall on the U.S.-Mexico border. He had long claimed that Mexico would pay for the wall.

Furlough congressional pay THIS shutdown. You\ll see how quickly the shutdown ends.

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez is a woman of substance and ideas.

I wish she wouldn’t waste her wonderful abilities to seek equality for the masses on the Democrats.

She could be a fantastic addition to the Green Party.

Love it! And how about including Trump and Pence in the equation!

And also, how long before the GOP criminals say they can no longer fund the people that receive SSI?

Wasn’t it Trump who shut down the government? I don’t care if members of Congress get paid or not, I just want them to stop the Wall. Good job to those who voted against funding the government if the funding included additional money for the Wall that would be symbol of intolerance and hate. I would not want a member of the Congress to vote for funding the Wall just to receive their paycheck. The Wall must not be built!

Me, I was sorta hoping the TSA would go on strike, shutting down the airports. But not sure if they’re union, and even if they are, what sort of backbone it has for the frontline workers.

Talk about getting some ‘angry reaction’ to this nonsense.

And I’ll second PonyBoy’s remarks re AOC wasting her abilities and going Green.

Eff’n A!

Unfortunately, Bernie suffers from the Trojan Horse Syndrome.

The new House should be able to end this charade when they convene on Jan 3rd.

Great song BTW.

I will disagree with everyone here…AOC and Bernie and all the rest are right where they want and should be, it’s the population that needs to be educated!!!

Furlough ALL White House pay from admin to President, and all Congressional pay including admin staff beginning retroactively to midnight Friday. The admin people will pressure their critters to get to a deal.

Also stop paying Congressional expenses during furlough period.

[quote=“CommonDreams, post:1, topic:58721”]
US Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), here is a question I’d like you to take to the floor of the house, or wherever you might feel it would get a hearing:
*“Why is it that the only salvation for starving children in this world is to take the money that could pay to feed and house them and give it to the arms merchants for bombs to kill them?”
;-})

Instead of a Congressional furlough during a shutdown, I would rather see them all work every effing day until it’s resolved. President and staff included.

There’s no full session scheduled until the 27th. Yes it’s the weekend. It’s Christmas. So what? People all across this country work weekends, Christmas, and other holidays when they probably would rather not. Why not our pampered reps?

Great suggestion Abi.

This Representative is absolutely awesome, how did she end up in the same party as Pelosi and Schumer. and Clinton, and Obama, etc.etc.etc,( not to mention Trump - all of the aforementioned basically on the same sheet of music) Lets back her up 10000000 percent, send money, send letters of appreciation, attack vigorously and unrelentingly all her opponents in both party’s, let her and everyone else know without any question that Cortez’ political views are where the majority of america stands politically - not with the status quo!

I understand where Ocasio-Cortez is coming from, but don’t like the allocation of responsibility to “Congress.” The issue starts with Trump, who reneged on a bipartisan deal, and ends with Paul Ryan being a dick. Congress did it’s job until these assholes wrecked it. Here are the facts:

1. The Senate passed a funding bill that had the support of all sides, including the president.

2. The White House agreed with this approach initially until Trump had a temper-tantrum when he realized he looked like a loser.

3. Trump bitched out Paul Ryan, who then introduced a wall-funding measure that made it through the House.

4. The House measure failed in the Senate, with even some Republican Senators frustrated at Trump’s temperamental idiocy.

Remember when folks here were mad that Schumer offered up $1.6 billion of border funding? That was part of the deal. Trump shit on it, then Ryan took away the diaper. The mess is their mess.

I want to add, Ocasio-Cortez is not suggesting anything new here. The catch is the Consitution bars Congressional pay adjustments during a current term per the 27th Amendment, actually an anti-corruption provision.

It’s a great question and one that SHOULD and MUST be asked.

But I can answer it: war is profitable; saving lives is not (at least to the Merchants of Death and their loyal TOOLS in Congress and the White House and Pentagon).

Never forget Smedley Butler’s prescient 1935 book: War Is A Racket.

Corporate Pelosi is doing her utmost to marginalize Ocasio-Cortez and the other new progressive House members, the same way the Corporate DNC stole the 2016 nomination from Bernie, who would have defeated the Evil Orange Idiot.

The Department of Offense and “intelligence” agencies should have been shut down…unethical and traitors to the Constitution…

Sanders for President 2020, Cortez for Vice President, Cortez for president 2028!