Home | About | Donate

Ocasio-Cortez Forced to Explain Marginal Tax Rates to 'Far-Right Former Governor' Scott Walker

Ocasio-Cortez Forced to Explain Marginal Tax Rates to 'Far-Right Former Governor' Scott Walker

Jon Queally, staff writer

In response to a tweet by the former Republican of Wisconsin, Scott Walker, Rep.

5 Likes

Scott Walker has always been owned by the Kochs. He allowed them to resume pollution of a river the day he took office. He never had any respect for education and destroyed what was an excellent system in Wisconsin along with anything good for people.

15 Likes

He knows better. He makes arguments on the assumption that those that are silly enough to vote for him don’t. Publicly shaming him won’t make him feel shame, cause sociopaths don’t feel shame, but it makes him look like a fool, which he is. A smarter person could at least do a better job of spinning bullshit.

25 Likes

Walker never was the sharpest pencil in the box. And add to that the fact that, like most conservative cronies, he’s blinded by his ideology.
This is where we are in today’s USA. Stupidity is a sacrament. Trump is president. And we will never recover from it.

15 Likes

And he graciously gave AOC the opportunity to spread the word - it’s our current tax laws that are insane!

8 Likes

Love how she’s changing the conversation!

11 Likes

Read “Rebooting the American Dream” by Thom Hartmann. In it he discusses that in 1953, during the Eisenhower administration, the marginal tax rate was 91 per cent. That money percolated down to the middle and lower classes, stimulating the economy It happened earlier in our history too. Reagan cut it from 70 per cent to about 35 and depressed the economy.

Somewhat off the topic, although increasing the minimum wage costs businesses more at the low end, it also increases business activity; i.e., stimulating the economy .

7 Likes

frequently only those who have have had to work for their income can explain the facts of life in simple terms.

7 Likes

I think the video should of started with more realistic brackets as I can see where some of my friends would be confused i.e. the guys makes $100 and pays $32 to taxes that is outrageous. Some people cannot see thru the forest thru the trees.

Otherwise a great reminder and I guess some people did not know that. Like Scott Walker.or of course he knew that but is a liar.

2 Likes

Oh of course we will. Sheesh, the drama way exceeds the real threats, most of which are challenged and dismissed. Nothing is forever. Not even 45POS.

1 Like

This guy was Governor of Wisconsin for 8 years. Can you believe it? 8 years of having a right wing ignoramus as their Governor. No wonder when you think about the best Midwestern State you think Minnesota and not Wisconsin. Too much beer and ignorance over there next door to cool Minneapolis - St. Paul.

2 Likes

But the question always remains in my mind: is he stupid, or is he a liar? I’d give 60-40 odds that he is lying here, and really knows how the marginal tax rates work.

2 Likes

It’s our tax policy, what we have is billionaire policy, it’s becoming more favorable to them as they gain more and more power, expressed through Democrats and especially republicans. Funny story, I lived through the original revolution. With a two year Electronics Associates Degree two years out of high school working for Minuteman earning enough with overtime to buy TWO Chevrolet Corvettes a couple of years later. This is the kind of prosperity that existed, thanks to Truman and Ike. All that prosperity was drained away, by so many with so little to contribute. WE were all Republicans in those days, Eisenhower Republicans. Ike’s marginal tax rates were 90% as I remember. Parents in those days were Korean Vets 1960 roughly. All the money was returned to the people. Then wages quit tracking productivity, and suddenly my republican friends began turning into what they’ve become today, the fascists their parents hated. Pardon the rant, there is so much bullshit sometimes things need saying.

12 Likes

Sadly, I know people that think he’d make a great president.

1 Like

Yikes. Remember that call that was taped, where he thought he was talking with one of the Kochs?

6 Likes

Sadly, the Washington Post reporter got it wrong too.

Because the 70% rate is only applied marginally, only money made beyond $10,000,000 would be taxed at that rate. Whatever.

6 Likes

So tell me, how’s the recovery from Nixon going? How have we fared since the disasterous Reagan presidency? Or in the post illegal wars W era?
When they move on Clarence Thomas later this year (and they will) and replace him with another younger federalist wacko, and god forbid RBG dies, the SCOTUS will protect every fascist decision made in this corrupt administration for the next twenty years.
How we going to recover from that?

4 Likes

Yes, but I forgot until you reminded me. Trump is a terrible president, but we’ve been fortunate in some ways he’s a selfish idiot who doesn’t invest a whole lot of thinking into policy. Walker would be much worse in that regard.

1 Like

Hey, Scott, you won’t always be surrounded by low-information voters…it’s time you quit with the BS and started acting like an adult, moron.

3 Likes

Jon, if you want a proofreader, I’ll be glad to take the job…for a modest fee. It’s painful to read this article.