Home | About | Donate

Ocasio-Cortez Ties Concerns Over Unregulated Facial Recognition Technology to 'Global Rise in Authoritarianism and Fascism'

Ocasio-Cortez Ties Concerns Over Unregulated Facial Recognition Technology to 'Global Rise in Authoritarianism and Fascism'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Wednesday tied "the political reality that there is a global rise in authoritarianism and fascism" to concerns about the threats that facial recognition technology poses to Americans' civil rights and liberties.

"I don't want to see an authoritarian surveillance state," the New York Democrat told reporters on Capitol Hill, "whether it's run by a government or whether it's run by five corporations."

Excellent comments by AOC. Stop to think about how these systems will facilitate political repression if the slide into fascism isn’t stopped.

1 Like

Is it 1984 yet?

1 Like

Yes, it is 1984. We all dreaded the arrival. It came. And most haven’t even noticed.

4 Likes

How easy to implement China’s Social Credit System. Everything is private, private security, private armies, etc. Commenting on sites like this could lessen your chance of getting a job or being accepted into institution of higher learning. How will we even know?
As for 1984, well, how much corruption can a system take before it collapses completely.

slide from 1984 to Fahrenheit 451

1 Like

More like 1933 + 1984

1 Like

AOC is my hero! I love her! You go girl!

Most people have no idea how far along the AI technologies are and how much power and money are behind the further and accelerating development.

I invite those who don’t know much about this, start watching youtube presentations from the movers and shakers in that development community. Warning…hang on to your hat.

4 Likes

I just learned today that it’s being used at a convenience store down the street from my place of employment. Crazy! The article has sketchy details, as the store owners are not talking with press. Very disturbing! https://www.kiro7.com/news/south-sound-news/tacoma-convenience-store-uses-facial-recognition-technology/950979811