Home | About | Donate

Ocean Acidification Behind Greatest Mass Extinction Event Earth Has Ever Seen: Report

Ocean Acidification Behind Greatest Mass Extinction Event Earth Has Ever Seen: Report

Sarah Lazare, staff writer

In case you weren't already worried about the rapid acidification of the world's oceans, a new report by leading scientists finds that this very phenomenon is to blame for the worst mass extinction event the planet earth has ever seen—approximately 252 million years ago.

The findings, published this week in the journal Science by University of Edinburgh researchers, raise serious concerns about the implications of present-day acidification, driven by human-made climate change.

Thirty percent more acidic? What? Acidity is measured on a logarithmic scale (pH). Thirty percent? Tell us that it went from what pH to what new pH. Give us facts, not recycled crap. Give us journalism as if we are intelligent for goodness sake. Tell us at what pH typical shells dissolve. The problem is real. This journalism is bullshit!

"Not with a bang, but a whimper". Listen closely and you will hear the last of the coral reefs dissolving I fear. It might not be next week, but in some human year, the last of the sea animals will disappear. The folly of a few hundred years will erase what it took millions for the Earth to rear. You and I will be long gone when at last the siren's song lulling humankind along extinction's path reaches a crescendo of eco-collapse as ones who remain look-up at the orange sky with wonder and whimper am I too to die.

Exactly. Ocean acidification is actually the far larger threat than a warming climate. The trouble is, many of the consequences are too delayed by inertia in the system to take organized collective action against under our current political economy. Under Capitalism, bourgeois parents really do steal food from their own children to buy their SUV's and big-screen TVs.

We're well on our way to becoming the fossil fuels of the future.

WiseOwl wrote:

'Thirty percent more acidic? What? Acidity is measured on a logarithmic scale (pH). Thirty percent? Tell us that it went from what pH to what new pH....'

No, acidity is a measure of hydronium concentration. (More precicely, of thermodynamic activity.) The pH scale is one of several measures of that quantity. "30% more acidity" is a completely appropriate quantification.

pH is a log function, the ocean pH has changed from about 8.2 to 8.1 over the past 200 years.
A pH decrease of one tenth of a unit represents a 26% increase in hydrogen ions, hydrogen ions being a measure of acidity.

The pH is the standard metric for acidity. A 30% increase is almost a 0.5 shift downward in pH, which is a big deal for solubility issues. But what is the pH that is being addressed. This change is surely not applicable everywhere as the seas are not homogeneous. I still find the article lacking in rigor.

FWIW, in 2014 the Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences reported a change in pH around Bermuda from an average of 8.10 to 8.05 between 1983 and 2012. Carbon dioxide concentrations changed from an average of 350ppm to 375ppm. That pH change represents about an 11% increase in hydronium ion concentration in two decades.

The reasons they didn't say this, I'm betting, are .1. to get people to read it, this article and CD's average article is very short and there's no room to put such details. The information is available many places, and is very accessible for those who want to read more. (It would always be nice on these short pieces to have links to more) 2. the change is about .1 on the pH scale, and it sounds insignificant expressed that way. Most people would read that, say what the hell, why am I being told such a trivial thing? and move on, not thinking another thought about it. 30%, just as accurate, gets them to realize--maybe--what a drastic change this is.

http://ocean.si.edu/ocean-acidification

http://www.nrdc.org/oceans/acidification/dive-into-the-science.asp

https://theotherco2problem.wordpress.com/what-happens-chemically/

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/07/the-acid-ocean-the-other-problem-with-cosub2sub-emission/index.php?s=acidification&submit=Search&qt=&q=acidification+site%3Awww.realclimate.org&cx=009744842749537478185%3Ahwbuiarvsbo&client=google-coop-np&cof=GALT%3A808080%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A34374A%3BVLC%3AAA8610%3BAH%3Aleft%3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BLBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BALC%3A66AA55%3BLC%3A66AA55%3BT%3A000000%3BGFNT%3A66A%5C%0D%0AA55%3BGIMP%3A66AA55%3BFORID%3A11%3B&searchdatabase=site

WiseOwl wrote:

'The pH is the standard metric for acidity. A 30% increase is almost a 0.5 shift downward in pH, which is a big deal for solubility issues. But what is the pH that is being addressed. This change is surely not applicable everywhere as the seas are not homogeneous. I still find the article lacking in rigor.'

pH is NOT a measure of acidity; it's essentialy a measure of hydronium concentration. And a 30% increase in that concentration equates to a pH drop of 0.114.

Back to no future?

I stand corrected. I miskeyed my calculator earlier. Apologies.

Yes, this explains why Obama wants Shell spilling massive quantities of crude in the Chukchi Sea: to assure the Sixth Great Extinction takes all humans with it.

Notice the Congressional (both houses) Democrats are on board this, en masse.

Notice also that Hillary doesn't see anything wrong with this picture.

Excellently put...

Ha! Good one...

I do feel uneasy about the religious faith of many of our leaders. Which tradition do they really follow... the tradition that says we have responsibility to care for nature (creation) or do they believe we have dominion over nature (creation.) I use their attitudes towards the rest of the humans that share this planet as a guide to what they feel their place in nature is, and am not reassured.

Sorry my screen name appears hostile. It is intended as a statement of fact. Wealth doesn't trickle down, it is sucked up.

What you should do is go have more children and then go shopping.

Didn't have time yesterday to comment much on this article... but here it is.... So, yeah. ... I've asked this before and I do not think I got an answer... how many here are aware of Tim Garret's study 2009 , civilization is a HEAT ENGINE..... and, Guy McPherson... I have gone on to read some of the critiques of his work and have looked up some of his material... but, it seems to me that he is mostly right .. that we are done by about 2040 or so... the "perfect storms" of Climate Change, economic collapse, conflicts. etc... not to mention any nuclear issues... will bring us to our knees....
I think I remember somewhere that even IF industrial civilization comes to a halt tomorrow..... we would still go to about 4 C... ?.... so, WHERE ARE WE?....

Do you, presumably someone with a HS diploma, really not know what a logarithm is?