Home | About | Donate

Of Animals and Bees and Flowers Wild as Earth Day Nears

Of Animals and Bees and Flowers Wild as Earth Day Nears

Arshad Khan
Nature cheers us. Animals can be powerful, beautiful, sleek, graceful. A field of wild flowers chanced upon can take our breath away. Wordsworth so moved by 'a host of golden daffodils' put pen to paper, and we are richer for his poem. So it's distressing when scientists confirm our gut feelings about the human footprint on this natural environment. Wild Animals are no longer free to roam. Bordered by encroaching human populations they have been forced into shrinking invisible cages, leading inevitably to shrinking numbers. It is not a rosy prospect, while pollution and m

It is not ironic that we bring death up to the surface of the planet in the forms of fossil fuels that in turn cause so much death; it is tragic.

This article, and similar ones, are critical to our awareness of very real existential issues. Thank you Common Dreams, for posting these. We need to stay informed on these topics, depressing as they are.

Trump is temporary. Environmental degradation is permanent.

“Of Animals and Bees and Flowers Wild as Earth Day Nears”

As one corporate fascist said to another during their secret evil board meeting…Fuck’em.

I guess they "forgot " they are human , breathe air and drink water.

The ocean has been heating at a rate of around 0.5 to 1 watt of energy per square meter over the past decade, amassing more than 2 X 1023 joules of energy — the equivalent of roughly five Hiroshima bombs exploding every second — since 1990.

this as been going on for many decades though most no nothing about it. Look up aluminum and bee toxicity – see what comes up

geoengineering which is going on world wide uses aluminum as one of the main ingredients

Money trumps wildlife at every opportunity. The US should change its motto to kill kill, I wanna kill. Because that’s what they do best.

“The human footprint”?

“Overpopulation”, that which must not be mentioned.

In the trade war that the US engages in against China one of the measures China uses in retaliation was to indicate that they would stop receiving other nations garbage. This stuff is generally loaded up on ships and shipped to China where it dumped for recycling. Mountains of junk and garbage exist across China.

THIS measure sparked some of the greatest concern in the West with political leaders suggesting it was unwarranted. In the UK a group indicated that it was of the greatest concern that the UK Government send a delgation to China to negotiate in the hopes China would revers this policy . They are all too willing to “negotiate” when it comes to “You must accept our garbage” while when it comes to negotiating peace across the world and an end to the arms race, it off the table.

The United States has threatened to take this ban to the WTO with Canada joining in as they gravely concerned that the Chinese will stop importing this waste and junk . Garbage and scrap is the 6th largest export of items from the US to China.

Without bees- nobody eats. Without nature nobody lives- not even the monied.

Why can’t it be mentioned.? I’ve done tablings for population connection, and I will continue. This is the old zpg- so you can get involved or just pretend.

Trump is temporary but he and his ilk continue to do permanent damage.

I too support ZPG, NPG, Population Connection, Club of Rome, Limits to Growth and so on.

“Overpopulation” has been a loaded word that reeks of genocide, ethnic cleansing, holocaust, etc., so it is often substituted by nicer sounding words and phrases like “human footprint”.

Sort of like substituting the nicer sounding “conservative” for “authoritarian”, “autocratic”, “dictator”, “war monger”, “fear monger”, “coward”, “superstitious”, “reactionary”, “greedy” and “stupid”.

Or like substituting “Trump Administration” for “Trump Regime”. Or “earnings” for “profits”. Or “Defense Department” for “War Department”, etc.

I agree with you whole-heartedly about the word “overpopulation”. If “human footprint” refers to the same thing now, then I would feel the same way.
But I am old. I have heard it in the past in reference to reducing natural environmental damage. For example, reducing the human footprint in forest and parks by carrying out every everything you carried in. Reducing environmental damage regardless of the human exposure level to an environment.
I believe that with only two people on the planet, they could destroy the earth. That is how stupid people can get about conflict. So population is not the main problem with the earth.

Packaging, material selection, recycling, these are real issues which can be addressed.
I remember reading about some ancient city where the garbage was dumped in the street, and when it was high enough, or sickness came, the city just moved itself. That is what we are doing with our earth. Talk about moving to another planet is hilariously sad.

I woke up this morning to a chemical induced white out. Yes, they sprayed again this morning - before the commuters got up so we didn’t get to see the jet make the trails and then watch the trails turn from what look like jet stream to spreading all the way down as the chemicals fell and created the white out. I’ve watched them so many times now. I recognize that white out when I looked out my window this morning.

I hope you have been to the geoengineering website that I posted above. All the environmental groups are silent about this. That is the best site on the subject,

I agree entirely with your post with this exception. The earth can tolerate only so many elephants without destroying all the trees and so many humans without destroying just about everything else.

I live in China. I see daily the issues with reducing birthrates–students with peer to peer difficulties, shortage of young workers, a huge elderly group. I see cities with apartments up to the clouds almost, and no trees. Thankfully, I have been able to find small cities with less than half a million to work in!

However! If it were in my power, I’d reduce individual packaging, and encourage people to use their own shopping bags. In the US, dump the cars, develop public transit, work from home, bike or walk.