Home | About | Donate

Of Course Guns Have Nothing To Do With It. Nothing.

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/11/course-guns-have-nothing-do-it-nothing

1 Like

What a great column and absolutely accurate in its righteous indictments. Thank you Mr. Tristam and, thanks CD for putting this up.
Somewhere in there we are all being called out. Deservedly so, too.

8 Likes

Of course toxic masculinity and mass trauma have nothing to do with it. Nothing.

5 Likes

… Congress that hasn’t passed a gun-safety law in over two decades.

Well, hey, it’s not like they haven’t done anything. Congress did let the Clinton era assault weapons ban expire in 2004. A lot of Congress-creeps got paid, handsomely, by the NRA on that one.

4 Likes

The “United States of Gunrangia” is a the perfect breeding grounds for mentally challenged individuals or groups to thrive in.

Fear, hate, death, and destruction are easily facilitated by the government of the land, who exercises this deadly foursome as a domestic and foreign policy agenda.

4 Likes

And if you watch the Sunday morning corporate “news” shows it is democrats saying there will be some action on guns when the Senate returns from one of their many vacations. How pathetic-------do democrats have any clue how pathetic they look???

Adverse drug reactions are estimated to result in approximately 1.5 to 2.7 million hospitalizations each year! And though following a doctor’s orders and medication labeling instructions can reduce harm associated with taking prescription drugs, simply taking prescribed drugs as directed can expose a person to significant risks. Risks that have resulted in estimates of 128,000 people dying EVERY DAY from people taking Rxs as prescribed by their doctors, according to a relatively recent study–that’s nearly 5 X’s the number of people killed by overdosing on prescription pain medications and heroin combined!! Where’s the public outcry?! Where’s the media coverage?! Oh…that’s right, the same financial entities that control the largest shares in the pharmaceutical industry/Big Pharma also exert massive influence over MSM as well as Washington. The MSM is constantly adding to the storyline of the most recent senseless killings…all the while directing the narrative (ex., several videos available for those who wanna run a search, where eye-witnesses have clearly stated there was more than one shooter at the WalMart), making it a racial issue (even though the psycho shot his own sister & opened fire on American citizens), conveniently providing a “manifesto” allegedly composed by a 21-yr old that no-one questions? And most Democratic parties couldn’t even wait for these people to have proper memorial & funeral services before pushing their agendas. You can label so-called, “gun nuts” as paranoid all you want, because the aim to disarm Americans has been well established. Creating more legislation will not help. Murder is and has been illegal…by any means. It has never stopped the criminals or madmen before and it will not now or ever. But, it’s everywhere you look…you just can’t escape it. And my heart truly does go out to those affected by this tragedy. It really does. I agree that severely mentally disturbed people should not be able to own/possess firearms. And I’ve been saying for some time now that this nation has serious mental health crises that aren’t being addressed. Biden openly declaring he’s coming after “assault weapons” means he’s pushing for a gun ban as ALL guns can be declared as “assault weapons!” Who do they think they’re fooling? Has anyone here actually read the US Constitution, the contract that those who SERVE WITHIN our governments are required to keep? No person who serves within any of our governments - federal or state, has lawful authority over the Americans and their weapons, type, how many, etc. None. No. Not. One.

How many here know that it is those who serve within our governments that are supposed to be disarmed, unless the Congress declares war? That it is the PEOPLE, trained as the Congress requires the military to be trained, armed with the weapons of war. Try reading Tenche Coxe. Tench Coxe, Delegate to the Constitutional Convention of 1787: “Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other TERRIBLE IMPLEMENT OF THE SOLDIER, ARE THE BIRTHRIGHT OF AN AMERICAN… The unlimited power of the sword is NOT IN THE HANDS OF EITHER THE FEDERAL OR STATE GOVERNMENTS BUT, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.” It’s not more legislation that is needed. The nutjobs that went on a killing spree made their intentions known as we are learning. And they had troubled pasts, too, from what I’ve been able to gather from various news sources, so, ask yourselves how more legislation will help to curtail these scenarios. I am deeply saddened & aggrieved for those victims as well as their loved ones. If someone in the system failed to do their job, you don’t implement further legislation. You focus on fixing it so that it doesn’t continue to happen. And this requires active involvement & reporting from doctors as well as family members, loved ones & friends taking a more proactive role(!). If you know someone that has discussed wanting to harm or kill people…especially large numbers of people and you fail to report it, then you are just as responsible(!!). And, Yes, the large majority of legal gun owners in America are law-abiding, if they weren’t you’d definitely know about it, since they are the majority. This is my first visit to your site and while I respect & defend freedom of speech and your right to voice your opinion (even though I disagree with it) I find it hard to believe that your intentions are purely motivated. I hope that I’m wrong. Everyone that declares that they want to make a difference should…starting today. It’s not about policing your friends, family, etc., insomuch as reporting behavior that contains evil intent towards others. I am sure that I will get trolled for stating the above, but it needed to be said.

((Agree to disagree!!))

Perhaps the best answer this morning is to simply have local deputies and police KNOW our current law and enforce them. Guns are not removed here in cases of domestic violence or folks who are out on bail, on probation, etc. I do hope they are where you live.

The category “prohibited person” includes anyone who:

• is a felon
  • has been convicted of any crime punishable by more than a year in prison (whether or not they were ever sentenced to or served a day in prison)
  • is under indictment for any crime punishable by more than a year in prison
  • is a fugitive
  • is an unlawful user of any controlled substance
  • has been adjudicated as a mental defective
  • has been committed to a mental institution
  • is an illegal alien
  • has a dishonorable discharge from the military
  • has renounced their U.S. citizenship
  • is the subject of a restraining order restraining the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or the child of an intimate partner, or
  • who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
1 Like