Home | About | Donate

Offering National Model, This New England Town Just Banned Natural Gas and Oil in New Home Contruction

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/11/22/offering-national-model-new-england-town-just-banned-natural-gas-and-oil-new-home

Loved this town –

Evidently the wealthy haven’t yet been able to buy all of Brookline!

2 Likes

How will they provide electricity?

1 Like

Was wondering that too. Has to be Solar, the word never comes up in the article.
Problem is it appears, from that picture, that they will have to cut down a lot of trees to make Panels work

1 Like

I’m on the west coast where we have problems with electricity as well. A lot of people are converting to
solar here as nuclear is not an option and we have an abundance of sunlight. It would be interesting if they included what that transition would be. Yeah, those are beautiful old trees.

3 Likes

Good question. How do we produce enough electricity to add home heating and water heating to an antiquated grid. Sounds awfully expensive for us northern states that heat our homes in part six months of the year. Solar collectors won’t be sufficient.
Perhaps we could get the politicians in Washington to blow their hot air through pipes.

4 Likes

Yep, they must have a plan, certainly they wouldn’t just outlaw something. We also have geothermal, and hydroelectric (when we have water) Efficiency and conservation will have to improve considerably. Political renovation aside, I’m glad they are doing something.

1 Like

Well there seems to be a problem Houston. The republican’s in Washington want nothing to do with efficiency or conservation. Nor regulation, nor alternatives.
Looks like a period of Dark Ages may be in our futures.
And what fun is a battery powered hot air balloon?

Maybe if we allow coal to become expensive it could be some how burned clean with capturing soot, chemicals, and carbon. I only suggest that possibility because of the abundance of the resource.

2 Likes

In our town, the solar panels are also on the trees for lighting, etc.

But the new Dems in town/Board objected to solar panels being put on one house
given its location as “unsightly.”

Actually, every home and every building should have solar panels on it – then,
no need for PS&G, maybe … if we’re lucky.

4 Likes

Nice in theory, but in practice? The implication is conversion to all-electric, but what happens when the power goes out? How is the electricity to heat all the homes going to be generated? We have a large solar farm in our area, but it doesn’t produce nearly enough to serve the whole co-op’s customers.

I live in the mid-south, and we have frequent ice storms. And wind and tornadoes. We’ve been without power for over a week a couple of times. Down here, most of us have propane backups. If there’s no gas allowed, then we will have woodstoves. The gas is cleaner, believe me. I grew up in an era of woodstoves.

This may be mostly a symbolic vote. Brookline is a “town”, but not like Bedford Falls. “Town” refers to its form of government. (Source: Wikipedia)

It’s also densely populated and very urban. Wikipedia: “The overall density of Brookline, which also includes suburban districts and grand estates south of the D-line, is still higher than that of many of the largest cities in the United States…” Brookline is bordered by Boston on three sides.

That all suggests that new construction won’t be single-family detached housing, but I don’t know for sure. High rise apartment buildings are often all-electric anyway. Maybe someone from the area can fill in the details.

I also don’t know whether Charlie is still riding the MTA.

Gandolf, I live in Montréal. Québec is mostly north of New England (though I believe parts of Maine are northeast of Montréal) and we have weather more similar to Burlington Vt. Almost all our heating is hydroelectric, and we also export hydroelectricity to our neighbours in New England (alas that also means unsightly high-power towers and cables in beautiful places to our south in Québec and New England. Yes, Brookline is an old (and from what I can see, very affluent) inner suburb of Boston.

Yea, My local town won’t allow panels where they can be seen from the Street for the same stupid reason.

phat –

When Enron’s corruption became know, it was wind which provided electricity for
new homes being built – and in just something like 3-4 months they were replacing
the energy needed to service those homes.
If I recall, this involved something like 174,000 families.
But see below for some further details.

And what is happening now in California? These fires have been blamed on many
different things starting them, but it now looks like what has been happening is the
power lines are “sparking” and causing the fires. THAT’s why the electricity has to
be turned off for some many homes in California!

And what happens here in NJ for just another instance – we have increasing storms,
hurricanes, winds knocking down trees and power lines. Actually knocking out the
power stations which are somewhat local. How long does it take to repair these lines
which should have been put underground long, long ago? In the case of “Sandy” it
was weeks where citizens here were without power. Meanwhile, these 29 FOOT poles
with heavily laden wiring now do NOT provide enough electricity according to PSE&G
and they’ve been trying to replace them with 69 FOOT poles with ever heavier wiring.
We all know these power lines need to be put underground as the effects of Global
Warming continue to increase. Above ground wiring just wont do it safely.

Right now, we have had immense pressure on three of our connecting towns to accept
this increasing monopolizing of power/energy and citizens and Mayors are saying, “NO.”

Questions of energy and labor must be a matter of the will of the people – in ending
monopolies, keeping energy under control of communities – and in providing full employment.

As for efficiency – look at the these 69 FOOT poles multiplying – and the increasing GRIDS.
What is that about except increasing the monopoly on power. Rather, we should have town/
community/citizen control over our power. Not corporations with a monopoly on energy
supplying it to state after state.

If you’re complaining now about SOLAR not supply enough energy –
Think about every building in every city – every school – every administrative building –
government building – and every residence having SOLAR on their roofs.

GAS may be cleaner at the point where you receive it –
but safety and actual availability of the gas are other questions.

Our natural resources have been plundered basically – whatever the resources it now
costs more to find and gather it up – and more effort has to be put into making it useable.

PLUS, just look at the ExxonMobil ads all over TV right now assuring us they are good,
reliable guys who are worthy now of curing the problems with fossil fuels/Global Warming
BECAUSE they lied to the public for 50 years and more. They spent $50 BILLION over
50 year on a campaign of lies to fool and confuse the public about Global Warming.
And they’re continuing on doing the same thing now. Someone is paying for that at the pump.

Fast Facts about California Wind Energy | CalWEA
www.calwea.org/fast-facts
Fast Facts about California Wind Energy. Wind energy projects totaling at least 5,454 megawatts (MW) of capacity are operating in California today, 1 providing enough electricity to power more than 2 million California households. 2 This represents more than a tripling of wind energy capacity since California’s Renewables Portfolio Standard (RPS)…

You mean…continue to blow off mountain tops.