Home | About | Donate

Omar Khadr, Former Child Prisoner at Gitmo, Granted Bail

Omar Khadr, Former Child Prisoner at Gitmo, Granted Bail

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Omar Khadr, a Canadian citizen who was 15 when he was shot and captured by U.S. forces in Afghanistan in 2002 and sent to Guantanamo Bay, was granted bail on Thursday after a judge in Alberta rejected a final effort by the Canadian government to keep Khadr in jail.

Court of Appeal Justice Myra Bielby granted the bail after announcing on Tuesday that she would need more time to make a decision on whether to release Khadr, now 28, as he appeals his Guantanamo Bay conviction.

Wonderful news! It's about time.

Among the bail conditions imposed were that Khadr wear a tracking bracelet, live with the Edneys, observe a curfew between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m., and have only supervised access to the Internet.

Who supervises his internet. Is he allowed to tell the truth about what happened? Oh, and can you really call that freedom?

So very glad for you Mr Khadr. I have been following your story for many years. I wish you well. Also I am glad that you are a Canadian because in the US you would doubtlessly no get a fair chance. And finally, I wonder if any of the American soldiers who killed with their grenades, bullets, tanks, jets and drones see the irony of imprisoning you for doing what you thought was the honorable thing to do in war. We bless you.

How surprising the USA has finally decided to join the 1st world... Since only 3rd world cesspools lock up children without trial. The scum responsible should be deported to syria or saudi arabia they would be welcomed there.

This case exemplifies that utter contempt that the US national security elite has for the law at any level - as well as the alarming support for anti-justice among the US media and public.
Makes me embarrassed to be a gringo.
Veterans For Peace

Omar was called a terrorist, war criminal for purportedly throwing a grenade and killing an U. S. soldier. True or not, he may have been at the wrong place at the wrong time but we all know that the real war criminals are in Washington D.C.

Yes, excellent reply!

Omar was a child soldier, and should never have been prosecuted. He did not throw any grenade because he was crumpled in a corner of the bombed compound. the soldier who found him pumped two bullets in his back. He was arrested and charged because he was the only Muslim they could find, and sent then immediately to a hospital to be treated for his wounds. no evidence of his alleged crime was ever presented. His "confession" was obtained after all that torture, and also was part of a plea bargain.
nothng just or fair ever happened in his case.

" Omar is a decent human being."
Yes, and being a child at that!