Home | About | Donate

On Black History Month, Dr. King, and an End to ‘Whatever’

On Black History Month, Dr. King, and an End to ‘Whatever’

I am often deeply disturbed by our remorseless witness. We are all implicated; we share responsibility for our witness of well-defined evil.

It has been a deep disappointment (and certainly counter-productive) that media have virtually erased the Poor People's Campaign from all discussion about Dr. King or that era.

i like the way the author calls on each of us to "wake up and rise up," stop buying the crap they are selling us, name the evils that we see, put our lives on the line, and make demands:

"We are all implicated; we share responsibility for our witness of well-defined evil...

"I have hope that people... will wake up and rise up, will speak up and stand up; will turn for a moment from entertaining ourselves, buying things... and insist on a world where...

"This month we will celebrate many great African Americans... rather than set them apart, let us learn from their example and respond as they would have responded... The time for “whatever” has long since passed—it’s time for a collective and unbridled demand for justice."