Home | About | Donate

On Bullet-Riddled Bodies

On Bullet-Riddled Bodies

Astonishingly, our gun-fuelled bloodshed goes on, and the news gets worse. Seems toddlers shoot someone, often themselves, almost weekly (WTF?) and only a tiny fraction of police departments - 224 of 18,000 - bother to report their often-murderous shootings. One victim's mother thinks it's time to get real - to brandish before legislators the bone-blood-and-muscle image of her dead daughter, her head blown off by an AK-47. Many don't want to see. Nardyne Jefferies doesn't care. “I can’t (talk) about gun violence," she says, "without showing what gun violence is.”

The war machine won't show its dead and mangled not in fear of offending our sensibilities, but knowing people would rise up to stop it.

The NRA, the addle brained gun lovers, gun fetishists and prattling parrots of 2nd amendmentism are oblivious to rationality, sanity and shame. Their answer to the mayhem and slaughters is always more guns, more conceal and carry good guys with guns and more armor piercing bullets.

These accidental children -shooting their brothers and sisters is bad enough.

But to top it off - I have noticed over the years of reading about these incidents in the news is that when white kids are involved, it will be concluded that it was a tragic accident; and condolences offered all around. But when the kids are black, a criminal investigation will ensue, leading to the arrest and prosecution of the preteen or barely teen kid - sometimes trying them as an adult!

I actually don't know a single gun fetishist (and I do know a few) whom I would call psychologically balanced. Intense, yes. Rational--not so much. Indifferent to other people's pain, oh yes.

This horror from 4-5-14 in Philadelphia:
Police say a 2-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his 11-year-old sister in their Philadelphia home while their mother was just down the hall in the bathroom.
Investigators say 11-year-old Jamara Stevens was killed when she and her three siblings, a 14-year-old boy, 7-year-old girl and 2-year-old boy, were playing with a .357 caliber handgun with an 8-inch barrel in their Mantuna home on the 3800 block of Wallace Street just before 10 a.m. Saturday.
Read more: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/11-Year-Old-Girl-Shot-Killed-Inside-Home-254033111.html#ixzz3ohYKopin
And the gun lovers say that guns are not the problem. That plus irresponsible gun owners of which there are many.

Don't forget that one of the reasons that the War in Vietnam ended was the ability to see the death and destruction every night on the tv. They showed more gore, I presume, or the sensitivities of the population were much more delicate back then.

I did not want to read this, but I'm glad that I did.

The lady is right. Show people what guns do.

When one knows and owns the violence in their heart is when they will change.
Hiding it, is like any other denial, it only allows the addiction to continue.
And this addiction requires an intervention.

I presume you're using the term "fetishist" loosely, as a synonym for someone who thinks guns are their own reason for existence, like butterflies.

Real "gun fetishists", or those who fetishise any weapon, "fetishise" meaning "have as a focus of or a requirement for sexual satisfaction", are much further off-plumb than your acquaintances. But if you know someone who really does fetishise guns, in your place I would probably mention it to some trained person at the public health office, and then slowly and quietly let the relationship lapse.

The guns are not the problem. The people who leave them lying around where kids can get at them are the problem, as in that tragedy you mention.

If I ever own a gun, I'll keep it where I can get at it easily (not much point otherwise) but nobody else can, not even the cat.

Every time you hear the NRA guns don't kill people rant, notice that guns did kill people. Keeping saying this repeatedly till people actually see that guns do kill people, every day, every hour, every minute in America. Guns kill people - we can prove it !

But never on their own. They require intervention by a person, who might be a dog or even a cat, by accident, but a person. The gun never acts on its own.

It is against the law to live with a child in an apartment building above ground floor without having window guards. Gun owners with young children in the house should be required to keep a gun lock on the weapon that prevents it being operated by anyone else especially a child.

But the gun performed its function and delivered the bullet that killed the person. The gun killed the person albeit with a person's help. Can't talk your way out of the gun delivering death.

Not possible.

Sorry, but intent and reasonableness are everything when determining fault. Guns are volitionless and un-self-motivated. To try to blame them is quite like blaming A for what B dreamed about her doing, as frequently happened before Enlightenment.

You support a cat or seventeen, I presume :smile:

Not at all - it is undeniable that the bullet from the gun killed the person. Logic can't change what we all perceive as true.

And we are all in mortal trouble because so many people believe something that's simply not so. I bet it would hardly take you any time at all to think of ten things that people "perceive as true" that just plain aren't. I'll start you off: anywhere near the earth's surface, perception says Earth is flat. But it's not flat.

When you try to push an idea that's untrue, you're on the wrong side. Even when reality isn't palatable to you, it's still reality.

Three cats, actually. And what does that have to do with it?