Home | About | Donate

On Earth Day, Trump Gives Giant Pro-Capitalism 'Middle Finger' to the Entire Planet

On Earth Day, Trump Gives Giant Pro-Capitalism 'Middle Finger' to the Entire Planet

Common Dreams staff

In a giant "middle finger" to the planet on Earth Day, President Donald Trump on Sunday put out a statement in which he called for an even deeper evisceration of environmental protections as he claimed a "market-based economy" was essential to protecting natural resources and also reaffirmed his commitment to "removing unnecessary and harmful regulations that restrain economic growth."

Once again CD gives the Tweeting Idiot of Orange power he does not deserve by implying that he’s responsible for what the imperial capitalist political-economic system is and does. This is a suicidal error.

Focusing on this pissant, a capitalist Weapon of Mass Distraction, makes it impossible to see what is actually going on. And it aint good. Time to grow up and wake up.

Once again you detract from this pissant, the most right wing jerk, a fascist who in tandem with the most aggressive push to eviscerate every regulation protecting US citizens that far exceeds anything that HRC aligned with Corporate State Democrats would have done.

Did I just apologize for Corporate State Democrats own actions in ceding power to corporations when it comes to regulations on polluting industries, banks, and the rest? No.

This meme that this Administration’s actions should not be focused on, and countered at every turn, and that doing so somehow is detrimental to movements opposed to such corporate governance e.g., distractions apart from what might otherwise be done, is ridiculous.

Once again CD gives the Tweeting Idiot of Orange power he does not deserve by implying that he’s responsible for what the imperial capitalist political-economic system is and does.

This assertion is just so ridiculous on the face of it. Considering all of the articles published here critical of Empire, the duopoly, oligarchy, corporate governance, and the rest of the sorry mess, it is apparent the narrow focus you must have.

It’s not like Trump isn’t a part of the sorry mess. It’s not like this is the most right wing Administration in generations or anything like that. We must not focus on the rightward lurch of this Administration on every single front! Look away else you will be distracted!

Thank You for your post!

I would like to wish everyone a Happy Earth Day…but I can’t. Today isn’t a happy day, it is a sad day. 47 years, what did we do during those 47 years? “Ravaged and plundered and ripped her and did her, stuck her with knives in the side of the dawn, tied her with fences and dragged her down”, The Doors.

“On April 22,1970, 20 million Americans took to the streets, parks, and auditoriums to demonstrate for a healthy, sustainable environment in massive coast-to-coast rallies. Thousands of colleges and universities organized protests against the deterioration of the environment. Groups that had been fighting against oil spills, polluting factories and power plants, raw sewage, toxic dumps, pesticides, freeways, the loss of wilderness, and the extinction of wildlife suddenly realized they shared common values.”

https://www.earthday.org/about/the-history-of-earth-day/

Yes,well said Tom! Implying that Trump is responsible for Fascist, Amerika, is suicidal. The analogy that comes the closest to me, is that blaming Trump ad nauseum for our imperial,capitalistic and military dictatorship is like blaming a mafia Don for what the mafia does!

One of the reasons such a groundswell of activism occurred, was the reporting done by the television networks ABC, CBS, and NBC. Way back when FCC regulations required that they didn’t make money for broadcasting news, but rather was considered their duty to the public for use of the public airways that allowed them to profit on their entertainment programming.

The 60 Minutes program on the pollution in Lake Erie was one example of that reporting.

Ah the times have been a changin’.

Well actually I do blame the mafia Don what the mafia does and I blame the US administration and the GOP for what is going on right now. Do I also blame the people? Of course but they aren’t actually holding the reins of the runaway stagecoach.

I repeat - confusing personalities with politics and political economies is useless, counter-productive and ultimately suicidal. Hitler (e.g.) was not Nazism. He was the face of powerful political and economic forces that dominated Germany and much of the rest of Europe and the U.S. post-WW1.

If personality politics is true, that means a few assassinations and things get better. What historical examples of that are there?

That’s why I work for and am a proponent of continuous non-violent organizing and actions to build enough power to survive the short term and eventually overthrow the patriarchal, white supremacist, global capitalist system that is rendering life for humans (and other species) in this biosphere impossible.

My argument goes beyond the “personality” of Trump.

And so do the countless articles published in CD.

Stick to your meme, if you must.

It’s always a smear to refer to a political position and/or observation as a “meme” whatever that is, in an attempt to trivialize it. Well done I guess. Red-baiters will probably be happy with this common trolling technique. Real people will see through it.

Trump looks upon the environment as simply for corporations to exploit for profit. It seems like the same bad attitude toward people, they are just there to exploit. So Trump formed a government of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations.

And you aren’t trivializing all of the efforts against this right wing fascist? Well done I guess.

Red-baiters? What the hell are you talking about.

Please post examples of my “red-baiting”.

Real people?

Bug off.

Oh…

Signed,

CD Troll

A F’n Men. That post is exactly why I cannot stand the misinformed (at best) nonsense coming from certain “progressive” quarters about the DNC lawsuit against the Trump campaign, etc. Personally, I think a lot of people are afraid of discovery.

Deep inside I have cold anger, deep sorrow. Outside, sometimes I show a little sarcasm or nervous laughter.

It’s important to say why. Eaarth’s crop yields are dropping and will continue to drop. Your grandchildren will inherit chronic food deficits.

We didn’t have to wait until this Earth Day to realize what a whore Trumpo the Klown is for “development” interests. He has installed two hard-core Earth-raping scum named Scott Pruitt at EPA and Ryan Zinke at the Dept. of the Interior. His regime has made it quite obvious that they want to drill in ANWR and “open up” the entire U.S. coastline to drilling. They also want to remove any pesky regulations that get in the way of the wholesale exploitation that is seen by our corporations as necessary for “growth”. Instead of following the wishes of the American people and protecting what is left of our natural world the Mango Mussolini is in lock step with trash like the Koch Demons and their ilk who care about nothing but money.
Remember that Trump was completely indifferent to the effects of the devastating fires in California. I think it was because of his profound immaturity and sense of revenge because the state didn’t vote for him in 2016. Classic Trump - when real leadership is required he resorts to what happened to him, the malignant narcissist. He is the worst kind of president when we consider how little time we have left to try and reverse the patterns that threaten our long-term viability as a country and as a species. And, like all of his massive fuckups he will create the damage and then walk away with no accountability.

It;s a sad day for me. I wrote a piece and posted in at Medium @jrallen1200. You must go to Medium 1st to get the link to work. Peace!

Tom Johnson is just another red (red in the non-USAn sense)-merged-with-brown leftist for Trump.

I reject most “conspiracy theories” but this strange, peculiarly USAn, conflation of the color red with right wing extremism (instead of the left) is looking more suspicious by the minute.

I am outside in the Az sun planting vegetables, flowers and shrubs around the grape vines in the community garden. For a project this year my goal is to see how many garbanzo beans I can harvest.