Home | About | Donate

On First Day in Office, Zinke Axes Rule Protecting Wildlife from Lead Poisoning

On First Day in Office, Zinke Axes Rule Protecting Wildlife from Lead Poisoning

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

On his first full day in office Thursday, newly-confirmed Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke rode a horse to work and proceeded to repeal a rule that protected plants and animals from lead poisoning.

I just do not understand why upon election of this president everyone goes crazy. There are always two sides of an issue and one of them is not crazy or insane. Lead fishing gear yes ban. Hunting larger game in woods where deflection is common I would suggest a fair amount of study being put into alternatives before a ban. People could get hurt.

Lead shot that remains in the cadaver of any wild animal shot and then not taken away by irresponsible "hunters" (and there are more than you would imagine/think) POISONS all the animals (carnivorous) that then eat that animal. Zinke is protecting the ammo manufacturers that make and sell lead shot/bullets. Another carney leading the public to believe that he is "one of them" just a common man riding to work. It would cut into profits to make lead free shot and bullets, after all.

There's been plenty of study on this issue going back decades.

Which means the key point of the article is this: "a policy put into place by former Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) director Dan Ashe on January 19."

So... the Obama administration basically did NOTHING for 8 years. Which is not surprising in view of its overall record, especially on wildlife issues.

And again that is only part of the issue. Harder than lead bullets deflect to a greater degree. Harder to hit what you are aiming for in cover. The bigger the chance you miss your target the greater the chance you hit something else.

It would be nice to get the lead out of everything. It will take time. DJT probably will not be interested.

No doubt part of his desire to make wildlands less "elitist" will be to open National Park Trails to "quads" and dirt bikes. Totally unacceptable.

hey, all that matters in this world is money.
wildlife don't have money...unless they're dead, and
hung on the wall or ground down for aphisiacs...then their worth something...
no appreciation of the beauty of nature and other living beings at all,
or real love of life in all its manifestations...just what is good for humans...
and then, such actions are really not so good for them either....
where is the nearest exist off this planet?

Look up the story of the American Condor, the bird that was driven nearly to extinction by lead bullets.
Lead stays in water and fragments stay in animals shot with it, slowly poisoning to death.

We have one planet, doesn't it make sense to take the very best care we can of it?

This dude is lucky his horse cant read :confused:

I agree Mina. I live in a heavily forested state and there are many hunters. I am not one. The issue as I understand it has to do with how different bullets travel in heavy woods. Also many jacketed (steel or copper coated) bullets if not large enough to down an animal such as a deer. It just goes in one side and out the other. Lead may mushroom and cause much more damage by slowing down or stopping in the animal.

This fall a neighbor was out on children's day and his daughter shot a buck. They had to trail it a ways but found it. It had been shot and wounded the previous hunting season but recovered. But it had a second wound that was fresh. It had been shot days earlier in the season and would not have lived that long. It was probably the reason the deer did not sneak away but waited hoping to be missed but had to jump and run in front of a hunter.

As you can see there are other animals and issues with hunting and ammo. We are not smart at all about ammo. We shoot DU rounds all over the globe. That should be a major crime. So when does a nation that has been at war 70-80 years straight think about the damage done?