Home | About | Donate

On International Women's Day and Everyday... We Are All Berta Cáceres!

On International Women's Day and Everyday... We Are All Berta Cáceres!

Jagoda Munic

Today, on International Women’s Day, we raise our voices in indignation at the brutal murder of our sister Berta Cáceres – indigenous Lenca leader, community organiser, grassroots feminist and environmental justice activist.

"In recent interviews, [Cáceres] once again encouraged us to rise up in collective solidarity, in the global South and North, against the predatory capitalist, patriarchal system in order to save women's lives, human lives and the planet." [my italics]

i join in this call, and ask people everywhere to continue and join the collective solidarity "against the predatory capitalist, patriarchal system in order to save women's lives, human lives and the planet."

We all need to be Berta Cáceres. In solidarity, consider the timeless question: "Which side are you on?"

Which side are you on, when you work? When you buy something? When you operate a motor vehicle? When you view media? What does "solidarity" mean? How does one "live in solidarity"? Is it easy or simple? Does it pay well? Can we eat? Can we feed each other? Does it involve risk, and struggle, and danger? How do people in different social and economic positions "in the global South and North" look at the challenge to "live in solidarity"? What is in play? What is at risk? What must change?

On International Women's Day: ¡Berta Cáceres, presente!

An excellent article which I can add nothing to as the author says it all.

No, women are as split by class as men, middle class vs. the poor. That's just reality.

Everyone, and especially the Latinos, should remember that Secretary Hillary Clinton was behind the murderous coup in Honduras, as she herself boasts in her book. And that she can repeat the deed elsewhere again and again.