Home | About | Donate

On Nassar Et Al: An Army Of Survivors and A Ferocious Judge Say "It Stops Now"

On Nassar Et Al: An Army Of Survivors and A Ferocious Judge Say "It Stops Now"

This week saw the just and overdue eradication of Larry Nassar, former Olympic gymnastics doctor and serial sexual assaulter, who was sentenced to 175 years in prison after a week of searing testimony by 156 of his accusers - "We are no longer victims - we are survivors" - and the fiery presiding judge. "You do not deserve to walk outside of a prison ever again (because) wherever you walk, destruction will occur," she seethed. “I just signed your death warrant."

Good to see that women on the left have joined the hard-right in their view of criminal justice and incarceration. What this man did was awful of course, but Norwegians don’t even talk of even Anders Brevik in the language used in this article.

All criminal justice should be focused at rehabilitation and public safety, with a eye toward social redemption, not inhumane punishment. Even Jefferey Dahmler found redemption, changed his ways, and would have been safe and productive citizen outside under proper psychiatric supervision (although he frequently contemplated suicide) but was murdered in prison instead.

It may be the case that, like Brevik, periodic reviews will find that it is not safe to ever let Nasser out of prison. But Brevik’s life is protected by the prison syatem, while Nasser will probably not make it 10 years before he be killed by inmates or guards under the brutal US prison syatem.

And do I have to remind people that pedophilia and similar sexual disorders (up to and including Daimler’s) are mental illnesses, not acts of free will (which is a dubious concept anyway)?

Brave comments.

Yeah, I expanded my point deeper into controversy territory after you wrote you comment. Should I keep the changes?

They are brave points, even for CD, I’ll say that. But you are hearing this from a neoliberal sellout, easily-led and propagated deep state fool.

They are “brave” in the US culture of smug self-righteous vengeance and violence, but are quite mainstream viewpoints in Scandinavia and some other parts of Europe. And they are the heart of Jesus’s teachings too so the ideas are not new.

One hundred and fifty six victim-survivors of this one man’s perversion and abuse of his power.

Let that sink in before bleating about what a ‘raw deal’ ol’Larry is getting.

It says a lot about the level of repression in American culture that a comment like that would have to be associated with bravery.

There have been far worse criminal monsters - including mass serial rape-murderers than this guy, yet the criminal justice philosophy I explained above applies to them too. And as Norway shows, it works.

And separately from the criminal justice aspects, the way these women here are trying to call this man’s sick perverted behavior a trait of men more broadly is tantamount to vile racism.

Is what I just wrote that “brave” too?

And to call it an “abuse of power” is entirely wrong. “Abuse of power” refers to the illegitimate use of power to obtain things that are broadly desirable - wealth and luxury. Men do not broadly desire to rape teenage girls. OK? To repeat, OK?

What this man had was a psycho-sexual disorder. He would have sought teenage girls other ways had he not been a physician.

I would hesitate to say, “these women here”, because there might be some who don’t hold the same opinion. Just like there are no universal male personality traits. But it is starting to be perceived that way.

Whether your last comment was brave or not depends on how people might react to it. But just because it might be brave to say it, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t have been said.

“It is not a judge’s function to get people healed.” What is justice if it is not concerned with healing the victims?

Malice.

Sorry, whataboutism or more-worserism in this case is not flyin’.
Nasser has abused over 350; the 156 were the ones that were willing to come forward. AND, they were mostly children, for pete’s sake! when this systematic, power predator abuse occurred.

Have I mistakenly logged onto Breitbart?

In addition to the 350+ abused with 156 coming forward, at least two people committed suicide. A young woman who had been molested years before and the father of a girl who had and he didn’t initially believe her.

Nasser, during testimony/remarks by his victims told the judge he didn’t think he could continue hearing the testimony. His “poor me” letter, as pathetic as it was, didn’t, get him any sympathy.

The judge was dealing with many dozens of women who had been abused and molested as children. They told adults who defended Nasser, USAG and MSU. They had to live with the effects of the abuse for years.

Thank you Judge Rosemarie Aquilina.

The criticism of the judge is valid. The sentence is entirely justified, and I would have imposed it too. But, as Orwell wrote after seeing a Jewish guard half-heartedly abuse Nazi prisoners, revenge is something that the powerless want against the powerful. Once we have the power, the feeling dissipates. Now we have the power over Nasser, and just look at him: he is pathetic. Revenge is sour.

Oh no, let’s remember where we are talking about–the USA–and we cannot f&^*ing talk about “mental illness” openly in this culture, because we are still pathetically practicing our puritanical past.

For those here who have never been in a #MeToo scenario (whether directly or indirectly victimized–let’s remember all rape victims have friends/family) you most likely have no idea what the PTSD alone from these experiences can do to a human being.