Home | About | Donate

On the Right Side of History

On the Right Side of History

For all its sparkle and privilege, last night's Oscars also offered a fierce, joyful, potent "middle finger to Trumpism" by rightfully rewarding the gifts and stories of black/ brown/ gay/poor people, Muslims and other "others" threatened by the current regime. The flood of speeches extolling tolerance along with the startling win of Moonlight - the searing, soulful coming-of-age tale of a gay black boy - represented the triumph of both empathy and "justice when that seems impossible."

It was very touching to see that this film won the Oscar for best picture of the year. It seems relevant to the times. I have not seen this flick,, but I do know of others who have who think it is great.

I was gratified to see that Moonlight, a film of SUBSTANCE with a riveting message based in reality win the OSCAR for BEST PICTURE. La La Land is a fluff piece of entertainment with only the second half of the movie providing any grit. Hacksaw Ridge should have won more awards...another incredibly moving film masterfully directed, prodigiously produced, and appreciated by audiences that clapped when it ended (when I saw it). I was happy to see Casey Affleck get the OSCAR for BEST ACTOR...he totally absorbed his character and made you forget the actor.

" last night's Oscars also offered a fierce, joyful, potent "middle finger to Trumpism" by rightfully rewarding the gifts and stories of black/brown/gay/poor people, Muslims and all other "others" threatened by the current regime."

Good point. Most of the winners were totally predictable. When they called La La Land it was kinda weird.

I liked the look on Beatty's face. He was like "La La Land, WTF?? The Academy is gonna get themselves in trouble over white privilege again"