Home | About | Donate

Once Again, Media Terrorize the Public for the Terrorists

Once Again, Media Terrorize the Public for the Terrorists

Adam Johnson

Another devastating terror spectacle and another media panic playing right into the script: spreading fear and sowing Islamophobia. Better writers than I have documented the latter, but not as much attention has been paid to the former—how in the wake of the Paris attacks 10 days ago, much of the media have needlessly stoked fears and acted, entirely predictably, as the PR wing for terrorists.

Your article is on point, By the way, what are we afraid of? What can they do to us that we don't already do to ourselves?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Instead of the FDR message after Pearl Harbor: " that all we have to fear is fear itself". We now have: ALL NEED TO FEAR THE TERRORISTS!

The terrorist attack that should make us think is the one that the media won't talk about for fear of hurting the industry. An attack on a nuclear power plant that would cost trillions, kill millions, poison our air and water and make the land permanently uninhabitable.

This is one of the down sides of having 24-hour cable news channels. Everything gets amplified (except for some reason climate change).

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Terrorists from all camps benefit from this scare mongering, as well as the mongers themselves.

Adam Johnson, you are spot on. This is something our so-called news media need sto understand immediately.

not to mention gun deaths and car accidents and pollution related deaths.

Yes, but we also need to fear the Trump followers that are so gullible. These must have been the same type of people that put Fascist Germany and Hitler into political power!

"Don't you tell US how to stage the news!" (Larry Speakes, in a classic mis-speak from the President's podium). "Just doing our job, folks! Be scared! Support the war! Now this. Go buy something, life is short and uncertain."

Now, instead it's really "all we have is fear."

This implies you think they don't understand what they are doing and the results are not what they intend. I can't agree.

The one sure way to end this terrorism we are constantly bombarded with is to vote the folks whose lack of honest representation in the People's interests out of office.

Cookie, a great analysis --- but instead of your sign-off being a Thanksgiving "Gobble gobble" it might be an Empire Thanksgiving "Goebbels Goebbels"

Yes, Andrew, the 'media/propaganda-sector' of this seldom diagnosed Disguised Global Crony-Capitalist Empire is now and will remain the most important weapon of the Empire --- until nearly the end of our suffering as 'subjects' of this Empire, when we will receive a brief change to the Empire calling on its final closer, the 'militarist-sector', in the final inning of the game.

Of all the six-sectors of this highly integrated (but well hidden cancer) of the DGC-C Empire; corporate, financial, militarist, media-propaganda, extra-legal, and dual-party Vichy-political --- the media/propaganda-sector is now supreme.

And yet it would seem to be the most vulnerable. One wonders why even a single transmission tower is still standing.

I don't doubt that some of the news editors are biased and intent on whipping up the emotions of its audience to sway their opinions. But in general, I think the news media has become just another business that does whatever it needs to do to keep the business profitable, which of course is not a good thing especially for an industry that's supposed to inform and educate people. As in any business, they need to pay the bills...but I think the news media has forgotten or is ignorant of what they are there for. I don't think it's sinister intent...I think it is just part of the American business model to go after sensationalist news to bring in more viewership for its sponsors. And that definitely sucks for people who want thoughtful, unbiased and intelligently interpreted information. Perhaps your opinion is closer to the reality than mine. But I like to think that most people want to do the right thing once they realize that they haven't been paying attention.

" Ignorance Is bliss?"

Yeah, the brown shirts in Nazi Germany probably thought the same way until their whole country was bombed to pieces!