Home | About | Donate

One More Warship: Remarks at the Launching of a ‘Stealth’ Destroyer

One More Warship: Remarks at the Launching of a ‘Stealth’ Destroyer

Dud Hendrick

(Editor's note: The following remarks were delivered on Saturday, June 18, 2016 outside Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine during a protest against the christening of the U.S. Navy's new Zumwalt-class destroyer battleship. The author, along with eleven other people, was subsequently arrested during an act of peaceful civil disobedience outside the shipyard's gates.)

Thanks Dud(e) -

Sorry I could not resist.

I'm in Vets For Peace too - and as you know we have our own navy - the Golden Rule peace vessel.

Keep on keepin' on 'ol Dud.

The ultimate example of "Lip Service":

"I’d like to quote President Obama. During his recent visit to Hiroshima he said, “We must change our mindset about war itself to prevent conflict through diplomacy and strive to end conflicts after they’ve begun. We must see our growing interdependence as a cause for peaceful cooperation and not violent competition. We must define our nations not by our capacity to destroy, but by what we build. And perhaps above all, we must re-imagine our connection to one another as members of one human race.”

Amazing that the same President admonishing the need for the great "we" to change its mindset is the ONE most positioned to lead that change. However, after delivering these palliative words, this same President has earmarked $1 trillion (to be spent over the next 10 years) to fortify and regenerate the nation's nuclear weapons arsenal.

Nothing says "peace" more than such a vapid investment, right?

As I stated, it's merely "Lip Service," leadership catered to the 1-minute T.V. Spot... actual policies with lasting effects are a whole different matter.

And there definitely are signs of karmic blow-back to this:

"It is an extreme irony isn’t it, that Admiral Zumwalt’s son, a young lieutenant who himself served in the Mekong Delta during the spraying, who died young, and his son, the admiral’s grandson, born with congenital anomalies, were evidently among the victims of the poisoning? They, too, were human beings. Something about reaping what one sows."

It doesn't get any "truthier" than this, from a soldier that 's been there.

The link was an interesting read. Tend to be skeptical of the total veracity of these types of articles dealing with the capabilities of currently deployed military hardware. Usually some ulterior motive prevails, often thinly veiled pleas couched within the texts for more congressional cash allocations. This piece may be no exception. Consider:
" Fundamentally, the Navy’s lack of an all-aspect broadband stealth jet on the carrier flight deck is giving fuel to advocates of a high-end Unmanned Carrier Launched Airborne Surveillance and Strike (UCLASS) aircraft that can tackle the toughest enemy air defenses.
Without such capability, the Navy’s carrier fleet will fade into irrelevance, the former official said."
Can't have that!
So, anyone willing to ante up for the latest upgrade is attack drone technology?

Not doubting that part of it. It's the admission to F-35 vulnerability...
Everyone knows the F-35 is a boondoggle and a dog, but it does have one appealing sales point for the 'liberal interventionist' hawks now finding their ways into upper command, and that is the F-35 so-called 'stealth' capability of delivering the B-61 tactical nuke bomb. I believe the only other supersonic aircraft that can do so is the B-1---interestingly, according to press reports the B-1 fleet has been recalled to the states and is presently undergoing a major avionics upgrade. My guess is the military is salivating over the prospects of a drone also capable of carrying a B-61 payload.
As often mentioned, here, current military doctrine no longer embraces Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD), rather the current policy of Flexible Response now dominates strategic thought.
Put those pieces together as you will...

You might find this an interesting read:
http://eng.globalaffairs.ru/number/Between-MAD-and-Flexible-Response-15242

This, too, might be worth a read:
http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/apj/apj97/win97/parrin.html

from above link:
"Since the seventeenth century, wars have progressively become more destructive and inhuman, no doubt the result of an industrial revolution that put a weapon in every peasant’s hand. Democracy has been no cure, and in fact may have added to the inhumanity by fomenting intense nationalism and partisanship as in the American Civil War, when six hundred thousand fellow countrymen lost their lives over the democratic question of states’ rights. World War I saw 10 million men killed in the trenches of a senseless stalemate egged on by nationalistic pride. World War II saw another 50 million perish, most of them civilians in bombed-out cities and concentration camps, justified in the name of “total war” that was started by a free and democratically elected chancellor of the German Third Reich. If the world is to reverse the tide of history and survive the atomic age, we must soon recognize the incompatibility of weapons of mass destruction with the political nature of warfare. Only then will we begin to change the counterproductive strategies that threaten us all."
---Mutually Assured Destruction Revisited/Strategic Doctrine in Question
COL ALAN J. PARRINGTON, USAF

Thank you sir for expressing the thought of hundreds of millions of the humans who are tired of living in fear of US policy. No I am not from a country they have bombed I am from Canada where my children live under the same threat that I have lived. An arrogant US policy that could destroy mankind.

German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier has called NATO wargames, "Warmongering."

www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-18/suddenly-nato-imploding-alliance-member-germany-slams-nato-warmongering-against-russ

To quote Pogo, Mr. Hedrick:. "We have met the enemy, and they is us"!

Given nuclear warheads on cruise missiles with a range of 2500km and nuclear-tipped torpedoes, may I suggest respectfully that the USA's carrier groups are well and truly obsolete, irrespective of "stealth jets"?

Germans tend to be sensible, despite (or possibly because of) their history of the last century.

Not democratically elected; it was considerably more convoluted with the electorate having no say in what went on. He was appointed Chancellor by the President. The Nazi Party did not have a majority in the Reichstag at the time, although it had the greatest number of representatives.

Now, if the Russians can capture drones electronically, they can also redirect them to other targets. Interesting, if drones ever carry nuclear warheads.