Home | About | Donate

'One of Most Disturbing Articles I Have Ever Read' Scientist Says of Study Detailing Climate-Driven 'Bugpocalypse'

'One of Most Disturbing Articles I Have Ever Read' Scientist Says of Study Detailing Climate-Driven 'Bugpocalypse'

Jake Johnson, staff writer

When a scientist who studies the essential role insects play in the health of the ecosystem calls a new study on the dramatic decline of bug populations around the world "one of the most disturbing articles" he's ever read, it's time for the world to pay attention.

"Climate warming is the driving force behind the collapse of the forest's food web."
—Bradford Lister and Andres Garcia

2 Likes

“Unfortunately, we have deaf ears in Washington,” concluded Louisiana State University entomologist Timothy Schowalter, who has studied the Luquillo rainforest for decades."

Representative democracy mostly represents capital. Capitalism and its system of representative politicians employs periodic voting for choice of representatives. People call voting democracy but that is a mistake.

Democracy is a tool to focus distributed intelligence. Representative democracy is an opiate for the masses.

8 Likes

And then you read the other headlines here and understand why we have 9 years or less.

5 Likes

Here in S. Minnesota I’ve only noticed 2 odd insect population changes. The last couple of years we have had very few mosquitos while having relatively wet summers. We do have the world’s largest bat house–our house has vinyl siding and shutters and the bats find their way under both. Nicotinoid insecticide is used on virtually all corn seed and a lot of soybean seed also. That may be causal also. Box Elder beetles seem to be non-existent at our place for the first time in decades.

Unless humans utterly change their money and greed driven “system” of life and interaction with both Gaia and Her creatures, great and small, we and all Mother Earth’s creatures that have zero input to the mechanisms of human depravity are in for a certain apocalypse.

When I see a walking stick it brings me joy. When I see a barred owl perching it does likewise…“all those moments will be lost…like tears…in the rain” - and all human’s with the sense of wonder and joy at those small things not wealth-driven will be bereft, including very much myself.

Nothing can really be said except that the life-system of vulture capitalist greed that values money, greed, self-interest, profits and destructive ambition above all else, the consequences many see now and for the last half century, will be our death knell…the likes of truly evil people and “religious” extremist depravity and racist exceptionalism are cancers, now metastasized to more places and people than not it seems. When truth and scientific, moral leadership and people are sidelined to serve wealth and its trappings above all, there is little hope for the future.

" Just find a place to make your stand and take it easy." and fight like our lives depend on it…

9 Likes

Syrphid flies and other early pollinating flies have disappeared from my area of Portland, Oregon. Haven’t seen a syrphid fly in 3 years here. I have seen them in a semi-rural non-agricultural area about 70 miles northwest of Portland. That means I am getting no peaches and plums only from hand pollinated blossoms.

3 Likes

But none of this is ‘human caused’ and it will all ‘change back’ according to His Grotesqueness.

The Roman civilization used to add lead to their wine to sweeten the taste and this is one of the reasons given for the fall of that civilization.
Today we ask “How stupid could they be?”

Our civilization sprays cancer-inducing poisons such a Round Up in massive quantities on our food supply, affecting not only our own health, but species such as bees on which we depend.
In the future, when humans are extinct and intelligent cockroaches rule the planet, they will ask “How stupid could they be?”

But this quarter’s stock dividends look like they are still on track, so that is all that is important.

8 Likes

You don’t understand.

I am 80 years old and have accumulated hundreds of billions of dollars. When it all collapses in thirty years or so, I’ll be gone. I was the richest man on the planet, and I will die before the planet does.

I win.

7 Likes

When I was in Mazatlan, Mexico I witnessed this first hand. ABSOLUTELY TRUE!

1 Like

OTOH, pine bark beetles have been doing exceptionally well in Colorado for the past decade or so, as winters are apparently no longer cold enough to kill most of them off each year.  Thousands of acres of pine and spruce forests are now mostly dead due to the beetle infestation.

2 Likes

So go the bugs, so go humans.

3 Likes

Here in climate zone 7A (coastal New Jersey), my early spring flowers—snow drops and crocus—finished blooming more than a week before I spotted the first honeybee. The seasons, to borrow from an old acquaintance, have “bruised arms and broken rythym,” which bodes ill for plants in general, as well as for the creatures that depend on them.

3 Likes

I was just talking to a guy the other day who said a large area of New Mexico had their trees wiped out.

1 Like

The most prevalent source of bodily lead in ancient Rome was likely from the lead pipes, plumbing (which takes it’s name from the Latin for lead, “plumbum”), and cooking/storing /eating & drinking vessels. It appears that the use of such lead vessels improved the taste of wine (instead of making it harsher, as copper vessels did), lead acetate then came into more common use as a sweetener.

The “how stupid could they be” question will probably be even more fairly applied to our current civilization; for unlike those Romans, we have far more advanced science and knowledge of human biochemistry and ecology…but still persist in violating the tenets of self-preservation.

6 Likes

Mankind is not here for bugs it is here for Cadillacs.

> David Wagner, an invertebrate conservation expert at the University of Connecticut, said…

Yes, but making a bold public statement does require some backbone.

1 Like

A summer trip from Detroit to anywhere in northern Michigan by car in the 1960s to the 80s would require a tedious cleaning of the bugs on the windshield at every stop for gas. Today, the need to scrub any bug residue from the windshield is quite uncommon for long periods and many miles.

Ticks were never an insect of concern throughout Michigan. My first encounter in the north was about ten years ago, and each year beyond that time, there has been no relief from exposure. An occasional walk through the woods is no longer enjoyable. Having to work in forested areas requires protective clothing, protective sprays, tools to remove embedded ticks, and continuous tick checks, not only on your body, but any pets that spend any time outdoors.

So in one way, helpful bugs, though seemingly annoying in large quantities, are being replaced by useless, dangerous bugs that carry disease and could cause untreatable or incurable plagues.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed the absence of fireflies, fewer crickets that used to sound in the summer evenings, those I miss, but even misquitos seem less around.
Of course I can just imagine what the Fox News types would say about the treehuggers who worry about disappearing bugs.
Just as foolish, I can also imagine what the “duopoly” types would say, blaming Democrats equally for the climate problems.

2 Likes

We had a lot of fireflies here for awhile. When soybean aphids are sprayed, they all die. I was surprised this year when my fireflies totally disappeared since I did not spray my aphids. And there were a lot of aphids around. The University says to spray them if there are 250 aphids/plant and increasing. I had 250 on a lot of plants, but not on all.

1 Like