Home | About | Donate

'One of the Best Reforms We Can Make' to Improve Democracy: Ranked Choice Voting on the Ballot in Massachusetts

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/09/one-best-reforms-we-can-make-improve-democracy-ranked-choice-voting-ballot

4 Likes

Kudos to the citizens who’ve initiated this measure. It is truly one of the most important reforms needed to make ours a more democratic nation. If Democrats actually believe what they say about supporting democracy, maybe some of its leadership will endorse this measure. If not, maybe their silence will expose their hypocrisy.

4 Likes

i wish i had more faith in ‘democracy’. independent investigators like greg palin have long documented how elections can be and are rigged, by tactics such as voter suppression, a long time favorite of the GOP. still, RCV is obviously a great idea. i wonder how the green party would do in national elections in america if it was in effect. it would certainly help if radical progressives didn’t feel compelled to vote for the lesser evil that stands a chance of winning.

1 Like

Ranked Choice Voting (or more accurately, Instant Runoff Voting) is surely an improvement over plurality voting, but almost any other voting system would be as well. But are there better alternatives?

Well, it depends on what you want to accomplish. If you are satisfied with retaining the polarized two-party duopoly but you want to make it work better by avoiding the possibility of a minor party invading the election and throwing an election to the least popular of the two candidates from the major parties then you should be happy with ranked-choice voting. But if you actually want to disrupt the two-party duopoly there are better alternatives among the balanced voting systems.

Unfortunately on this web site, links to other sites are not permitted, but you can find an extensive series of articles on balanced voting at OpEdNews.

1 Like

I’m sure you meant Greg “Palast”. He’s doing great work.

2 Likes

Thank you for your interest in this.
I’ve been trying to spread the word about it for years now - with some, but not great success.

1 Like