Home | About | Donate

'One Racist Down. Hundreds in Office to Go': Applause as Bigot Steve King Ousted in Iowa Primary

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/03/one-racist-down-hundreds-office-go-applause-bigot-steve-king-ousted-iowa-primary

1 Like

Does this mean the Tea Party will go back to being the Party Lincoln “incrementally”? All those “moderates” in the Democratic Party can go back to their natural home? Yet such incrementalism will not solve the urgency of the environmental crisis nor the threat of nuclear war, now will it? A complete and utter reversal of the status quo is in order, no?

6 Likes

Steve King is the poster boy of white supremacy–not that bright and coming from a place where he may not have dealt with people of color in positions of rank similar to his. When I think about the great teachers that I had that included spics, nigs, lesbos, hebes, and probably some other slurs I am not remembering, I only remember them for their teaching. ONLY. As it should be. Those vile terms evaporated from my mind as a result. Sorry to use them, but needed to for effect, I felt. I know too many of my generation who are captive to the bigotry of the past and fall into the spell of hate media. Some are in many ways good people until the idea that all people are people comes about. That has to change. It can only happen through education, formal or otherwise.

1 Like

maybe a re-education camp;
A person is not born racist or white supremacist; that is taught to them, there ought to be someway to forcibly teach them to see and think and feel wholistically. I say force, because, as we have seen, racial inequality is economic inequality, it is educational inequality, it is environmental inequality, it is healthcare inequality, it is financial inequality, it is occupational inequality, and probably much more yet. Society can not tolerate racial animus, it is inherently treasonous to the body politic to allow and foster this disease of racism.

1 Like

Feenstra will prove to be a more polite clone of King.

The district is brimming with whiteness.

1 Like

True. It is likely that his replacement will just be more covert in his racism.

1 Like

Will King walk into a $2 million K Street job or become a celebrity on faux noise or OAN in January ? \

So many choices for retired corporate Congresscritters.

2 Likes

I don’t think re-education camps are workable. It seems to me that the millennial generation is the least racist, least homophobic, least prejudiced generation this country has produced, so I think we are moving in the right direction due to the remaining vestiges of progressive concepts in our education system and, more substantially, the impact of the internet and social media in showing young people worldwide that we are not all that different in the challenges before all humankind. We would do better, IMHO, to preserve the remaining progressive teachings in our school system that are under attack by conservatives, and to re-instill those progressive teachings that the conservatives have managed to excise.

1 Like

The message of this and most articles about his loss is, “Republican voters in Iowa are wonderful people who stood up to bigotry by voting King out.”

Horsecrap. They voted for him repeatedly in the past, didn’t they? A CNN article says it was because King had been stripped of his committee asssignments and so no longer had influence.

1 Like

Agree, teachings are important, but more so IMO, is good old fashioned human contact, especially with children, when it comes to defeating racism. I don’t have any data to back up my hypotheses, just 47 years of observation in one of the racist states in the country. I’ve watched this area of the state improve 500%, while the rest of the state has only moderately improved, in race relations in that time. I attribute it to 3 things:

1. Integration of schools, kids interacting with one another, helps overcome many social issues. This is IMO why the rest of the state lags behind, many whites send their children to segregated private schools in other parts of the state.
  2. Home to the largest employer in the state (28 thousand at one time), this brought in many people from all over the country (my family included). Those families mostly brought their non-racist views with them and spread those values to the native population.
  3. Home to 3 military bases, that also brought in people with progressive views about race to the area.

Don’t get me wrong, there is much more to be done on this topic here, but the improvement has been something the people here should be proud of. I wish I could say that about the rest of the state, but I can’t, there are areas where you feel like you’ve stepped back in time 75 years, it’s infuriating and sad.

1 Like

It’ a primary after all. Iowa’s not finished yet.

1 Like

I’m a bit afraid that after an appropriate period he’ll be reinserted into an influential government position where he can’t be touched by election.

The King is dead. Long live the king (Feenstra). The electoral system is dead but people are still living in the delusion that it will make a difference who is in office answering to Wall St. Look at Bernie, AOC, Pressley, Omar, and Pocan, all toeing the company line. When you dance with the devil, you don’t change the devil, the devil changes you.

1 Like

he wasn’t nearly racist enough Tom Metzger