Home | About | Donate

Online Voting Revolution Coming to 2020 for Dems—Starting in Iowa, Biggest Changes to Nomination Process in 50 Years

Online Voting Revolution Coming to 2020 for Dems—Starting in Iowa, Biggest Changes to Nomination Process in 50 Years

Steven Rosenfeld

Iowa’s Democratic Party is leaning toward offering party members the option of participating in their 2020 presidential caucuses via internet and telephone balloting. However, recent experiences of Republican state parties elsewhere with online voting suggest that Iowa faces formidable challenges to make this work in 2020.

1 Like

Having started computer programming back in '76 I can attest that there are no genuine impediments to the development of an accountable online voting system. It might be as simple as each vote cast is keyed with a unique identifier (like a serial number) that is published along with the vote and a password known only to the voter. All votes are searchable by each and every voter to verify the results. Each voter can verify their vote by using the unique identifier and their password. Such a system would be transparent in nature. (Note, the above model surely needs safeguards not mentioned at this time. Let’s not squabble over details. I do not claim to have a complete solution.)

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter if the technology is developed but is not accepted by the voters. Such cultural evolution takes time and concerted educational efforts. It is time to take voting out into the open and out of the hands of contractors with the ability to use glitches in “problem precincts” and other nefarious tricks for their cause. Furthermore, voting doesn’t mean squat if the voters won’t do their homework before casting their ballot. As we have seen, “reality” TV ain’t homework.

2 Likes

I would be (am) extremely skeptical. First primary or caucus election in the country, sets the stage for the whole campaign season, private software developer, most likely with a patent and no way to review the code, DNC uptight over recent limitation on superdelegates, DNC’s recent history of what should have been a huge scandal of Hillary’s friends helping her out in the 2016 primary, state party with total control over the system. . .

What could possibly go wrong? Hey, you get an email confirmation of your vote, so if you’re naïve enough to think they couldn’t put Candidate B’s name in your email and candidate A’s name in their own database, I guess everything’s perfectly fine.

3 Likes

And so it begins: another two years of failure to understand that caucuses are more in line with the Constitution than are publicly funded and organized primaries. None of the parties are in the Constitution, so should be not only allowed, but forced, to select their nominees on their own. Caucuses are closer to that than primaries.

1 Like

Good grief, what’s wrong with old fashioned, non-hackable, paper and pencils?

1 Like

The difference between what we have, gerrymandering, superdelegates, voter suppression, lost paper ballots, 50% voter turnout, and cellphone blockchain voting is between night and day. The Ruling Class is gunning for it and dissing it with “expert” opinions because cellphone Democracy is its greatest threat.

Pardon my skepticism, Steve R, but online balloting isn’t going to work in the Iowa caucuses.

It looks like an excuse to rig the caucus results, as online voting has rigged elections for over 20 years. The primer read is Bev Harris’ Black Box Voting (2003), and there remain serious problems to this day.

Thankfully, Dubuque County uses paper ballots, for as long as I’ve voted here.

The standard for the Iowa caucus is show up, raise your hand and be counted, in the caucus.

2 Likes