Home | About | Donate

Only 'Nays' from Democrats as GOP Members on Judiciary Committee Approve Jeff Sessions

Only 'Nays' from Democrats as GOP Members on Judiciary Committee Approve Jeff Sessions

Jon Queally, staff writer

Followed by shouts of "Shame! Shame!" in the gallery, and with no Democratic members voting in favor, Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday voted to recommend confirmation for Jeff Sessions to become the next U.S. Attorney General.

If this country is going to only represent one party, then maybe it's time to Occupy GOP. Imagine thousands of progressive folks joining the republican party to infest it with a bit of sanity. In reaction the republicans will spend their resources trying to weed out the truly sane with a war on sanity. Bring the war to the inside of the GOP.

The vote was 11 - 9. The committee consist of 14 Republicans and 12 Democrats. Six abstentions. The nominee confirmation votes make me think that the Democrats are complicit. Just look at the Pompeo vote. The Democrats are boycotting now. Do you think that there is any chance that the public outrage that is buffeting them is the only factor giving them backbone?

A known pronounced racist, homophobe, misogynist, and bigot for US Attorney General. And an avowed practiced Shylock for Secretary of the Treasury. Now those are message from the depths of Hell.

The GOP marching in lock-step fast approaching "the final solution...."

Who voted against Sessions? and who abstained? I can't get the names by Googling! Some Dems abstained!!!

If you will check the official Senate Judiciary Committe website, you will see that there are 11 Republican members and 9 Democratic members TOTAL.

Chairman
Chuck Grassley (IA)
Republican Members

Orrin G. Hatch (UT)
Lindsey Graham (SC)
John Cornyn (TX)
Michael S. Lee (UT)
Ted Cruz (TX)
Ben Sasse (NE)
Jeff Flake (AZ)
Mike Crapo (ID)
Thom Tillis (NC)
John Kennedy (LA)

All Repugs cast aye votes for Satan Sessions

Ranking Member
Dianne Feinstein (CA)
Democrat Members

Patrick Leahy (VT)
Dick Durbin (IL)
Sheldon Whitehouse (RI)
Amy Klobuchar (MN)
Al Franken (MN)
Christopher A. Coons (DE)
Richard Blumenthal (CT)
Mazie Hirono (HI)

All Dems cast NAY votes against Satan Sessions

See my reply to TellTheTruth.

What does one expect from a crapo and a flake.

Too funny. Sen. Crapo of Idaho pronounces it Cray-po...over and over again. My son was a member of Idaho Boys' State and visited the capitol while Crapo was in town. He (my son) inadvertently called him by the way his name is spelled: Crap-oh. And the senator's face turned red and while gritting his teeth corrected the pronunciation of his name. Crapo also went on to pontificate about how Social Security was rapidly going into financial ruin and should be privatized to save it adding that by the time he retires, there may not be any to pay him. Typical GOP BS.

Senators don't even get social security - they have a sweetheart pension deal instead. Crapo sent me a letter explaining that 'my' benefits would remain in place because of my age, but younger people would have to make adjustments. I sent him a list of ways SS could be fully funded, if and only if, he's not in the pocket of TPTB. Don't imagine I'll hear back this time...

That's not what it says here. It says 26 members:
United States Senate Committee on Finance - Wikipedia

|
|
|
| | |

|

|
|
| |
United States Senate Committee on Finance - Wikipedia
| |

|

|

If you will check out the following website concerning Reps and Sens retirement benefits, you will find that both do indeed receive SS payments. Since 1984, both pay into Social Security and are thus eligible for retirement benefits.

Website of US Senate (a more credible source than Wikipedia): https://www.senate.gov/reference/common/faq/retirement_for_members.shtml

Why that is nice. The Wall Street Ds have a lot farther that this to go if they want their party back. They abandoned us from 1992 until 2017.

Ignore them until they decide to become actual democrats.

Some of the stuff is amazing to read on here. Why aren't folks happy about Tillerson? He's buddies with misunderstood good-guy Putin. Why aren't folks celebrating neoliberals being out of power? We've got a hard right revolution happening, but some of you wanted that at all costs, right? It puts us one step closer to the grand progressive revolution now. That's the BS I kept reading before the election.

And those minority Senate Democrats are terrible aren't they? They just sell out every time. I mean, look how much power they have without the gavel:

Thank god we taught them a lesson this last election.

The thumb sucking strategy.

What does the finance committee have to do with the sessions vote?

Since you don't know what you're talking about we can't say you're telling a lie.

I stand corrected. I confused the Finance Committee vote with the Judiciary Committee vote.

That's just silly. The West Coast is 60/40 Democratic. I voted against Hillary by voting for Stein. It's the redneck peckerwoods, aka Conservadems, in worn out and exhausted places like Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio that put in place this ongoing disaster. They're a bunch of coal rollin' whiners whose inability to foresee that being in a union is a privilege, not a birthright. They only really cared about their own interests and got the shitty end of the stick for all their white selfishness. Now, they're where they deserve to be, living in Trumplandia with their racist, homophobic, paternalistic, wife beating, coal rollin friends on a bar stool in Dogpatchville.

I wish it were silly. I'm tempted to go back and read responses to my comments prior to the election. Progressives were arguing Trump would be better on "trade," wasn't a "warmonger," and concerns over things like the Supreme Court were just "fear voting." Putin was just a misunderstood good-guy too. All of it stupid and even stupider now. Sorry.