Home | About | Donate

'Open-and-Shut Federal (and State) Crime': Members of Congress Demand Prosecution of Trump for Election Tampering

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/01/04/open-and-shut-federal-and-state-crime-members-congress-demand-prosecution-trump

8 Likes

Now this is election fraud! And backed by 140+ GOP officials in the House and Senate and close to half the population. Some sobering thoughts…

23 Likes

But nothing will happen except more theater.

The real question is: how many of the next 4 years will be taken up by Dems obsessing over Trump while BidenCo screws us over.

14 Likes

“The recording alone is certainly enough to launch an investigation. It’s likely probable cause to issue an indictment.”

Just do it.

12 Likes

desperation on trump’s part.
wondering if this will effect the georgia senate run off election
will this sink in to the thick skulls of the kkk types who are
on their way to DC to protest on Trump’s behalf Jan. 6th ??

Trump’s crime with not wearing a mask or encouraging folks to wear one is a mortal sin.
Maybe 100,000 people would have not become infected and died so far.
This phone call is minor.
Who leaked the audio?

2 Likes

If Pelosi blocks impeachment, as she did for Dubya et al, she will be an accessory after the fact. If Biden doesn’t prosecute, then he will be an accessory after the fact. Both want to drive the getaway car.

If Trump tries to pardon himself, we’ll get the opportunity to establish that self-pardons are not within any President’s power.

From the article:

Biden questioned whether attempting to prosecute Trump for crimes committed during his four years in the White House would be “good for democracy,”…

Gerald Ford + Barak Obama = Joe Biden.

17 Likes

Impeach the bastard by the end of this week in the House. Let the Senate vote on removal next week. Enough Republicans join the Democrats and Trump is forever defanged and his loyalists are on the Senate floor with their pants around their ankles. While I don’t adhere to the principles of the traditional Republican party (unless we go back to Ike), the party has its best chance at legitimacy. Does it really want to be the party of the Proud Boys? I think not. Crush DJT politically forever along with his sycophants. It’s a great chance to expunge fascism for now and in the foreseeable future. This can all be done by the 15th, but my preference would be at 11:59 AM 20 January 2021. No time for Pence–oops.

17 Likes

As the wsws noted about Trump’s criminal actions:

"Trump used the language of a Mafia gangster in referring to a female election worker in Fulton County (Atlanta), who has been demonized on right-wing social media and repeatedly threatened after false allegations by the Trump campaign that she had triple-counted a stack of ballots from the heavily Democratic area.

After Raffensperger reiterated that there was no evidence of such actions and that Trump was mistaken, the president responded:

‘So what are we going to do here folks? I only need 11,000 votes. Fellas, I need 11,000 votes. Give me a break. You know, we have that in spades already. Or we can keep it going but that’s not fair to the voters of Georgia because they’re going to see what happened and they’re going to see what happened. I mean, I’ll, I’ll take on to anybody you want with regard to [name of election worker] and her lovely daughter, a very lovely young lady, I’m sure.’

This is nothing less than a threat of physical violence against the election worker—whose name has been withheld—and her child, coming from the president of the United States, the ‘commander-in-chief’ of a vast military and police apparatus, as well as the leader of the Republican Party, which is increasingly taken on the coloration of a fascist movement.

Who leaked the tape of the telephone conversation has not been made public. It could well have been officials on the Georgia end of the call, seeking to insure themselves against Trump putting his violent threats into practice. Equally likely, the leak could come from within the military-intelligence apparatus itself, which monitors all US telephone conversations and previously leaked Trump’s phone call to the president of Ukraine, which led to his impeachment a year ago.

Whatever its source, the tape is ample evidence—if more were needed—for the indictment and prosecution of Donald Trump for conspiracy to overthrow the US Constitution and establish a presidential dictatorship. His co-conspirators would include White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, who participated in the call, and several Trump campaign lawyers and aides."

Now Trump’s heinous actions should logically mean that he, along with members of his administration, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. But as I mentioned on another post, Trump has absolutely nothing to fear because of the simple fact that he has the Republicans in his back pocket and that he understands that the Democrats are pusillanimous, with Biden having no desire at all to hold him accountable for his actions, as he is hoping that the American people forget about this as soon as possible so that things can get “back to normal”. One would think that extortion of elected officials and wanting to cause harm to an elected official and her daughter would be a very big concern to both major political parties. But doing the right thing these days appears to be an antiquated and outmoded concept. Trump also knows that he and his administration have no reason to expect any repercussions at all from his adversaries because, as Noam Chomsky has stated in the title from one of his books:

What We Say Goes

11 Likes

A weird and dumb question. Who said it was a leak? Whenever a news organization gets hold of anything it must be an illegitimate “leak” I guess – as everyone knows it’s illegal to provide the people of USA with anything factual. That’s why the question is manifestly weird. Perhaps even you can guess why the question is stupid. Who do you think provided the recording to the US American people? (Hint: It probably wasn’t the dictator. Hmmm…)

At least we don’t have to pretend we are shocked at trump’s behavior.
I have speculated over the past few years that the nation has been in a test pattern. That we might be seeing a national test to see how far we would allow a tyrant to take this country into the swamp of dirty politics and self serving policy.
If the dems drop the ball on prosecuting wrong doing I’m done with any active political involvement. What’s the point if we are going to let the crooks run the show.

10 Likes

I don’t expect anyone will prosecute on the federal level, no one on either side of the aisle wants to open up the election fraud can of worms, nor do they want any investigation on this subject matter. They know better than anyone how corruptible our voting machines are, it’s the reason they were put in use, and both parties benefit from them. Our only hope is charges filed at the state level in GA., I’m not sure how much of a chance there is of that either, since the gop controls every agency in the state.

3 Likes

In regard to the releasing of the tape an article from Salon points out that:

"President Donald Trump intends to sue Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger for recording their phone call on Saturday in which the president demanded he commit a crime and ‘find’ votes to turn Georgia red ahead of Jan. 6.

Georgia Republican Party chairman David Shafer tweeted Sunday that Trump has filed two lawsuits for recording the phone call he said was a ‘confidential settlement discussion,’ which it wasn’t. He claimed that the conversation was about pending legislation in the state. In fact, the recording makes it clear that the call was a shakedown from Trump demanding that the Georgia Republican ‘find’ votes."

Georgia is a “one-party Consent state”, which means that only one party on a phone call would have to be aware of the recording. Since Raffensperger and his lawyer knew of the recording, this then means that Trump’s lawsuit is going nowhere. No if only our political leaders and its top prosecutors can be convinced that Trump should not get away with this and that he needs to be prosecuted [perhaps under the RICO act] as soon as possible.

8 Likes

This is one of the several reasons I continue to believe that Donnie will resign and flee the country for political asylum with the loot from his post-election “fraud” fundraising claims before Jan. 20, with a federal pardon from President Mike Pence. The rest is just distracting noise to keep the money coming in from his stupid supporters.

4 Likes

“Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), chair of the House Judiciary Committee, said in a statement late Sunday that Trump may have “subjected himself to additional criminal liability” by threatening Georgia election officials in his effort to overturn his loss and remain in office.”

sounds to me as if Nadler would be open to an investigation/charges - I’m writing him a letter ! Writing one to GA also encouraging them to press charges-

I enjoy reading the comments as much as articles ! thanks for all the clear thoughts/ideas !

1 Like

As Irish Times columnist Fintan O’Toole has written, " … those who want to rebuild American democracy will have to put a stake through [Trump’s] heart" in order to ensure that Trump does not cause further harm to this country.

4 Likes

Another example of the rich and powerful getting away with criminal activity while that poor woman in Texas is jailed for not understanding she couldn’t vote after a felony conviction.

9 Likes

From the BBC this morning:

“Come nightfall on 6 January, the party of Abraham Lincoln will be no more. Instead, the specters of Jim Crow and autocracy will flicker. Messrs Trump, Cruz and Hawley can take a collective bow.”

Trump’s Republicans have dumped Lincoln – they’re the Confederacy now
~https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/04/trump-republicans-electoral-college-sedition-secession-lincoln-confederacy

Here we are almost 57 years after JFK.

Well, I’ve been thinking, as the spiral dive continues, can we pull out ?

If not, what are the options ?

The world will still spin, people will still go about their daily pursuit of food and water and a bit of happiness.

A wise man once said: “And this too shall pass.”

But that silver lining is not shining very bright.

But we do have transparency just now. Maybe the subtitle under the Washington Post is a cause for hope:

"Democracy Dies in Darkness"

4 Likes

This MF is a walking imbecile. He should have been put in jail long ago, oh but wait, this is america and he is white, male, fake billionaire.----------- He has a life time Free get out of jail chances…

9 Likes

It’s not about him Joey -

Trump tried to call the Georgia Secretary of State 18 times –
and but for the honesty of the GOP in Georgia in regard to the election,
where would we be?

Look where the GOP in Congress are trying to take us –

This is a very aggressive fascist movement and if Georgia State officials had been
in the least interested, Trump might have succeeded.

This isn’t one incident – it’s a White House team that’s been working to win the election
by any means possible – beginning with the appeal to Ukraine President for dirt on Biden’s son
which led to a failed Impeachment where Trump/GOP refused to honor requests for testimony for
any of the administration – and where House subpoenas were meaningless given the lack of
Court response.

Consider how many pieces of this coup on democracy fell in place here with Trump –
and how successful his ability to stonewall the Impeachment –

The GOP is from here headed to new heights of fascism – not into remorse. Obviously those
GOP members were recruited based on their aggressiveness and the GOP has promised to
recruit even more aggressive and bold new members. Let’s ensure that this attempt is totally
shut down – and that there is no opportunity for a future attempt for fascism.

8 Likes