Home | About | Donate

Open Letter From College Professors Urges Educators Worldwide to Cancel Class, Join Global Climate Strike

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/30/open-letter-college-professors-urges-educators-worldwide-cancel-class-join-global

2 Likes

when I was a teacher I wouldn’t have minded a “strike” - aka a day off to demonstrate for my favorite cause - and the students wouldn’t have minded either. But I’d be much more impressed if by “strike” they meant for the day no driving, no eating meat, no no flying, AC, no procreation, and maybe even no electricity use. Now that would be strike!

4 Likes

Sure wish this mind-set had been active 10 20 30 years ago, we might have had a chance.

2 Likes

Nothing is more important that responding to the cause of children
calling for us –

Had parents begun to join the Vietnam War protesters they would have
understood more, earlier – and the movement may have had more
immediate success.

Today, we adults need to follow the children –

5 Likes

These strikes are a good beginning and if the mind set of those in power does not change we up it to total, non cooperation. Love to Greta and all our youth!

2 Likes

yes, ratchet up the pressure.

1 Like

So you speak to me of sadness
And the coming of the winter
Fear that is within you now

It seems to never end
And the dreams that have escaped you
And the hope that you’ve forgotten
You tell me that you need me now
You want to be my friend
And you wonder where we’re going

Where’s the rhyme and where’s the reason
And it’s you cannot accept
It is here we must begin
To seek the wisdom of the children

And the graceful way of flowers in the wind
For the children and the flowers
Are my sisters and my brothers
Their laughter and their loveliness
Could clear a cloudy day
Like the music of the mountains
And the colours of the rainbow
They’re a promise of the future

And a blessing for today
Though the cities start to crumble
And the towers fall around us
The sun is slowly fading
And it’s colder than the sea
It is written from the desert

To the mountains they shall lead us
By the hand and by the heart
They will comfort you and me
In their innocence and trusting

They will teach us to be free
Could clear a cloudy day
And the song that I am singing
Is a prayer to non believers
Come and stand beside us
We can find a better way.

John Denver, Rhymes And Reasons

3 Likes

As a retired community college teacher with two graduate degrees in economics and a BA in physics, I conetend that no amount of classroom instruction–valuable as it is, and I’ve got lots–is any match for the real world. Greta gets a lot of crap to the contrary.

1 Like

Stop giveaways to fossil fuel companies, too. [That means, GET MONEY OUTTA POLITICS!]
nO MORE FRACKING
nO MORE PIPELINES TO HELL
RADICALLY CHANGE THE US BUDGET–AWAY FROM THE MICC
CLEAN UP OUR WATER
DOWN W/MONSANTO-BAYER [chemical cancer causing fertilizers and weed killers]
Not only our planet is teetering on the edge; so is our democracy;lots of noise for months about "Russian interference in our elections BUT THE REAL THREAT IS FROM THE DNC : they are smearing Bernie and Tulsi & pushing corporate candidates like the murderous KHarris, biden, et.al. They are playing by the ruinous playbook of their donors; they will “sell u the rope which to hang them.”-- trying their damndest to rig the “debates” AND THE 2020 election
I am thrilled by this letter

1 Like

Thylacine –

Thank you – (and John Denver)

And the graceful way of flowers in the wind
Could clear a cloudy day
Like the music of the mountains
And the colours of the rainbow
They’re a promise of the future

Common Dreams, Fix the freeking jump on the page tops . .get with it . .

Those would be effective ways to get the elite thugs attention real quick.

We have been waving banners since time immemorial, but you don’t listen .The cries of our young people to change the world are never heeded . When they see their cause is lost -that you will have it your way no matter what- young people who are not stupid , will do the next best thing. If they cannot beat you they will join you.
They will copy what you are doing ,being violent, materialistic, acting crazy, all manner of negative traits and behaviours exhibited by their elders .They see the hypocrisy ,and they try desperately to change it.
The problem is they have never been allowed to critically analyse what their elders have been doing, destroying the only home we have ,using the profit survival motive as a guiding principle. We have only been allowed to memorise it.
What you memorise, you memorialise .

The time has come for critical thinking truth ,awareness and responsibility to be apart of the young’s education system.