Home | About | Donate

Opening Gitmo to the World

Opening Gitmo to the World

Robert C. Koehler

To read Witnesses of the Unseen: Seven Years in Guantanamo is to run your mind along the contours of hell.

The next step, if you’re an American, is to embrace it. Claim it. This is who we are: We are the proprietors of a cluster of human cages and a Kafkaesque maze of legal insanity. This torture center is still open. Men (“forever prisoners”) are still being held there, their imprisonment purporting to keep us safe.

I hope lots of CD readers respond to this piece by Robert Koehler. One gets so passive and tired of being ashamed, and impotent to change the unspeakable and yet actual crimes against our common humanity and the Constitution that our government has and is committing. And still, we need to call it out, and call them out, and try to change it.

And this story is the story of hundreds of thousands imprisoned in U.S. prisons and jails primarily for committing the crimes of being people of color and/or poor. About 2.5 million are locked up at any given time, many without charges and/or because they can’t afford bail - a crime in itself. The most on Earth.

The next step, if you’re an American, is to embrace it. Claim it. This is who we are: We are the proprietors of a cluster of human cages and a Kafkaesque maze of legal insanity.

Thank you, Robert Kpehler! Your efforts at keeping us grounded in the reality of our country’s crimes, are both greatly appreciated and greatly needed. On the basis of what our government has done, and continues to do, I think we qualify as the greatest threat to this planet and all living things upon it.

after reading your article this morning, mr. loehler, i joined my friend, becky, for coffee. i don’t know why but becky mentioned the horror of beheadings in the middle east. i do not support capital punishment. after all, if we agree killing is a crime, then we cannot allow the state to commit murder. because your article, bob, was fresh in my mind, i told my friend about the treatment of these two innocent of crime men. now, a lot of people may be shocked by what i said next, but this is what i think. i do not condone the practice of beheading. it’s meant to strike fear in people, but if the swordsman has his sword sharp and aims well the victim feels little or no pain. as soon as the spinal cord is severed the nervous system cannot register pain. becky pointed out that “our” method of administering an injection is more humane. so i told her about the problems states like arkansas have had. actually, there exists no humane method of killing another person unless that person asks a dr. kavorkian type assistance in ending a life of excruciating pain.

I read in Wikipedia about the many units of Guantanamo. I don’t get a match up when I compare the description to other press articles. Wiki states that there are a number of different facilities, including one a distance off the base. Press articles talk only about the “detention center”, which is I presume, Camp Delta. If all of the facilities are not included, I wonder if the count is all inclusive.Also there is Camp Bondsteel, in Kosovo. Almost never mentioned in the press. And I hear there are many others around the world. What goes ?

oops! that should read “mr. Koehler”