Home | About | Donate

Opening the Door to Possibilities

Opening the Door to Possibilities

A belated requiem for Ursula K. Le Guin, who died last week at 88 after creating a lifetime of singularly thoughtful, feminist, leftist and wondrous science fiction. In her books, including The Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed, she explored a wide world of themes - anarchism, androgyny, mythology, capitalism, the Taoist concept of balance, the enduring challenge of being human - and we are richer for it.

“Armies of angels could rise up out of the waves, but if you are looking for a one0eyed giant you could sail right through them without feeling so much as a freshening of the breeze”.

Urusula K. Le Guin

One of the finest sets of critical eyes informed by pure love that ever walked the earth and set pen to paper with the intent of producing creative effervescence in the imaginations of others.

What a loss. Her Earthsea books opened a lot of doors for me to worlds and concepts that I hadn’t dreamed of, and led to a lifetime love of books and fantasy and science fiction. Re-reading her earlier works 40 years later was enlightening, and opened more doors.

She will be missed.

I heard her speak once at Oregon State University many years ago. She made a little joke about Ernest Hemmingway writing in short, simple sentences.

Rocannon’s World and the Earthsea series were my favourite Le Guin writings.