Home | About | Donate

Opioid Plan Called 'Band-Aid on Gunshot Wound': Trump's New and Unimproved War on Drugs Predicted to Fail

Opioid Plan Called 'Band-Aid on Gunshot Wound': Trump's New and Unimproved War on Drugs Predicted to Fail

Jake Johnson, staff writer

President's remarks on opioid epidemic little more than a collection of Reagan-era "just say no" talking points

Trump opioid crisis

What a freaking joke! 480,000, that is 480,000 US residents die yearly from cigarette smoking related causes. 60,000 opioid deaths per year pales in comparison!

However, apparently because people don’t die immediately, that’s not a crisis. And, tobacco companies go on year after year killing US residents with impunity. If terrorists would kill a fraction of 480,000 US residents yearly, the US would spend another $1 Trillion yearly on the military and blow up the world going after them!

Apparently the wrong capitalists, i.e., politically impotent ones profit from the opioid crisis.

Devoid of empathy and always searching for more spotlight, Trump is an addict’s second worse threat and he stands between those with empathy wanting to help–the very help he will block if he thinks he can make political hay–and those who so desperately need it. Some legacy, Trump, you TWIT.

Until we vote the corporate parties out, we’ll keep stewing in the crooked memes of the past.

Just say No? Hell No!

Thank you Nancy, for your contribution to help create yet another Reagan disaster.

Trillions to kill innocent, brown-skinned others and and a handful of insane terrorists; nothing for the tens of thousands of Americans killed by this poison each year. It’s simple: Decriminalize use; spend some money on treatment facilities, lock up dealers and drug company oligarchs.

" War on drugs rhetoric."

Specious rhetoric, to say the least!
There never has been a war on drugs, only a war on who controls the drugs!

I cannot believe these “statistics”. I’ve taken opoid med for years judiciously and sparingly for my back pain. Have never once felt like I “needed it” for anything but pain control,

We who use opoids responsibly for intractible pain relief will suffer needlessly if they are drastically rationed, What would you have us do, just “bear with it”?

As a nation WE ARE FUCKED!!!

There is no doubt that pharmaceutical substances are a For Profit business. Medical/Pharmaceutical realm and MOST certainly within the DOJ. Heck more than 50% of all incarcerated individuals are in that posistion on a Non-Violent drug offense, who benefits off of that. HaHa

Who am I to judge what another consenting adult decides to put in their body, not me and certainly not the Gov’t. If a person has a substance abuse problem, they need substance abuse help, not imprisonment.

There are already HEAPS of laws on the books that cover, death, injury, theft, etc. Drugs or the use thereof is completely irrelevant. How many people drive to work everyday drinking coffee…:joy:

I say make all drugs legal, tax and regulate it all. Money is best spent on education, real substance abuse help which may mean the user continues to use while getting help for the ROOT ISSUE. Taking away a persons only vice that allows them to cope is not going to end well. NO one wants to be an addict, once the root issue becomes manageable, users on their terms end up using less and eventually quit.

I am willing to bet that more than 1/2 of the US population has a substance issue as defined by the Gov’t. Yet they are fully functioning, family members, contributors to their society and NO issues until the LEO finds their stash. Now they have problems thanks to our ever controlling Gov’t.

War on Drugs is a War on the People…

From what I understand, many opioids can/aren be compounded with other drugs in a fashion that lessens addictive potential without sacrificing pain-management efficacy. Many doctors are “educated” about new medicines by pharmaceutical representatives and that needs to stop. The profit incentive in medicine seeks to maximize addiction and chronic conditions of all kinds. It is perverse, invasive, and very difficult to eradicate. Medicare for all is the best alternative about which I have heard.

you don’t understand enough, then.

chronic pain patients know what they require. We’re the ones that suffer every single days as the whipping post of every crusading zealot certain they can save lives (that were never in jeopardy from anything other than despair).

Opiate deaths are overwhelmingly multiply toxic–meaning that people were dying because they took them against prescription AND with other substances.

In short, they were either stupid–which is possible–or actually trying to die, which is far more likely.

this doesn’t address the situation with temporary use patients (post surgical) who do risk addiction if they’re not careful. And even then, it’s almost always a case of them not following their prescription.

Millions of us are under fatal threat from this new witch hunt. I’m one of them. I don’t need an armchair pharmacologist to tell me what works and doesn’t work. I’ve been battling this for seven years. I’m sure sister Evelyn has a similar story to tell.

Just hear us, first, before cheering on the latest “public safety” hysteria. That’s all we ask.

Fire and police departments struggle to afford overdose reversal drugs. WTF! Remember that pentagon budget approval for 2018 at almost $800 billion dollars, and remember which senators who approved it? Keep remembering…

Just say no

The hard narcotics epidemic is real. I happen to know of this one guy who sounds like one giant sniff for hours after he snorts lines of cocaine. It’s blood coming out of his sinuses and he doesn’t want it to drip out of his nose, so he keeps snuffling it back. Then the guy stays up all night and he gets all paranoid. He’d accuse his best friends of treason and betrayal at 5:00 a.m., using Twitter. Before he dies an early death, I hope they get him to a long rehab at the Betty Ford clinic sooner rather than later.

The war on drugs is really a war on mothers.fathers, sons daughters, the people next door. It touches everyone.

This is a close up look at Vancouver Canada which has a different way of looking at addiction.

Trump’s panacea for an ever growing epidemic: more snake oil.

Yes, and the knowledgeable chronic pain sufferer won’t mind a compounded drug that minimizes addiction potential, even if such compounding is not required for them. It is a social safeguard issue and also goes to the issue of minors who have a way of discovering the caches of pills. The issue is very complicated and by no means to I have THE solution. My point is to treat people, not profit. That is all.

After 40 years experience treating opiate dependence my conclusion is that the primary difficulty US society is dealing with is “mood collapse” manifesting as an inability to experience pleasure (anhedonia) and a continuous state of dissatisfaction, frustration anger and a social posture of the “angry victim”. It underlies most of the unregulated intoxication patterns with a spectrum of psychotropics covering the entire range of legal and illegal drugs. The other important factor is that all drugs should be assumed to be available to all people. The acts as an evolutionary stressor on all who are unable to successfully self regulate intake and survive in the face of that availability and are thus culled by the change. The factors generating this state of “mood collapse” are a subject in itself and there is no room here to consider it. Mr Trump can do what he wants just like 5 or 6 presidents before him, the slide will continue towards greater and greater culls and the fixes offered is like looking under the street light even when you know the object fell down the drain because it is “the only place where there is enough light to see and not because that is where the object is likely to be”, an old medical saying, true and tried.

I don’t have exact numbers, but Medicare for all would result in a cut of 30% or more to overall expenditures yearly for the same level of medical care in the US, which is why we will never have Medicare for all.