Home | About | Donate

Organizers Oust Amazon HQ2 From New York

Organizers Oust Amazon HQ2 From New York

Negin Owliaei

mazon offered New Yorkers the best possible Valentine’s Day gift — a breakup. The union-busting, deportation-aiding company announced it wouldn’t go forward with plans to build a new headquarters in Queens, financed in part by tax breaks and capital grants, thanks to the sustained organizing efforts from New York grassroots groups.

As they say on Wall Street …

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish then sell him high-end gear on credit and you bleed him for a lifetime.

4 Likes

This point, very quietly made as part of the vision to benefit community rather than monopoly, is, in my opinion, one of the single most salient points each of us MUST hold front and center.
This bulldozing strategy was used against indigenous peoples and supporters at Standing Rock.

There is an international principle stated in Convention 169 of the ILO. “Free, prior and informed consultation” with communities impacted. Guess the pressure for its origin? Indigenous Peoples subjected the legacy of exclusion from nation state “Constitutions” and usurpation of traditional lands for : EXTRACTION. Extractive public practices for extractive industries. In a word - above the law.

Convention 160 of the ILO: It isn’t just for those who survived the genocide anymore.

And I thought it was:
“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will destroy an ecosystem.”

1 Like

I agree with you, but what to tell the people who were counting on these jobs? Maybe some are homeless.

As a vegan- yes!

Why do they get 2.5 billion?