Home | About | Donate

'Organizing Works': Advocates Credit Pressure Campaign With Forcing High-Ranking Democrat Hakeem Jeffries to Back Medicare for All

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/05/organizing-works-advocates-credit-pressure-campaign-forcing-high-ranking-democrat

Water those grassroots! There are a helluva lot of weeds out there that need replaced or, at least, transplanted!

2 Likes

I was hoping the corporate sock puppet (yes, he’s an actual corporate lawyer) would get primaried.

Maybe it’ll still happen. I mean damn, he represents a district that voted 85% for Hillary.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure Steny Hoyer is next in line. So yeah, it’s even worse. And based on recent votes for Speaker, he’d be a lock.

Democratic Caucus Chairman Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) endorsed the bill (H.R. 1384) authored by Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), saying House Democrats are “united behind the principle of universal access to high quality and affordable healthcare for all.”

“There are several pathways to achieve this objective, including implementation of a single-payer system,” Jeffries added.

I wouldn’t count my chickens before they hatch. This is a slippery, slimy, tongue-in-cheek, wink-wink, I’ve got your back non-endorsement. He clearly signed on only to get the petitioners off his weak back while he manipulates for one of the “several” other “pathways” to guaranty continued profitability for the insurance cartels.

There are NOT several pathways. Either private for profit insurance is taken out of the driver’s seat or nothing changes. HR1384 is the only current proposal in the House that will do this.

This is the first I’ve heard of this jerk but reading his slime filled non-endorsement, I know all I need to know about this low life congressman.

2 Likes

Always be cautious of weasel words like ‘support’. One can support something and still not advocate for it. President Obama signed his name in “support” of single-payer healthcare in the primary and upon election he chose instead, the Heritage Foundation and Republican plan to subsidize the profits of the insurance industry.

Each year hundreds of thousands of citizens WITH INSURANCE are forced into bankruptcy. Nearly 70% of the INSURED public can’t afford drugs, so they go without, or take only what little they can afford. Most INSURED people can’t afford their deductibles, so they delay treatment - causing increased harms and costs.

Never trust people who change to not change. Trust the people who put rubber on the road, not pretty speeches and weasel words. We’ve had this bait-and-switch before.