Home | About | Donate

'Orgy of Wealth' Continues as US Billionaires Grew $584 Billion Richer Over Last 3 Months While 45 Million Lost Their Jobs

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/18/orgy-wealth-continues-us-billionaires-grew-584-billion-richer-over-last-3-months

Gates and Buffet are two of the greatest looters the world has ever known.

“They’ll get it all from you, sooner or later. 'Cause they own this fucking place.” - George Carlin -
“The American Dream” (2004)

7 Likes

I’ll just relax on this evaluation.
Why, you ask.
Amazon replaces Sears Roebuck as America’s general store.
The guy from Omaha does not pay out a dividend.
They will all die someday and leave behind businesses that will
continue on until they die in bankruptcy, merger or sale.

So, the stock price fell and regained. That is some of the story.
One major american company advised all employees to stop saving in 401k
and use their bank savings account.
Suggests a big downturn is coming out of the railroad tunnel.
The billionaires will make even more loot.

“If this pandemic reveals anything,” Clemente added, “it’s how unequal our society has become and how drastically it must change.”

No chance! Until Capitalism is changed, nothing will change. If any Country needs regime change it is the U.S.A.

5 Likes

Mr. Carlin also said: " it’s called the American Dream; because you have to be asleep and dreaming to believe it! " The above article proves again you had it right. Miss you George…

6 Likes

Nothing new in this article.

Within a month of Occupy Wall Street’s (OWS) 2011 launch they gave us all the information we needed to understand the wealth and income inequality problem. That is why Obama tasked his justice department to make everything OWS did illegal so they couldn’t re-emerge in Spring of 2012.

5 Likes

Sadly I saw no column in the spreadsheet to show how much of this gained wealth came from the U.S. Treasury.

2 Likes

The corporate welfare queen equation ?

With each downturn the 1% and their corporations add new lucrative corporate welfare profit centers courtesy of the best Congress money can buy.

Trump has of course taken already out of control corporate welfare to new heights, especially for “farmers”. After his tariff scheme cut farm exports, Trump put taxpayers on the hook for adding big agribusiness corporate welfare profit centers. Moscow Mitch threw more layers of agribusiness corporate welfare in the CARES legislation to the extent that some “farmers” are raking in 30 times their estimated losses from tariffs and the GOP’s botched response to COVID-19.

Many of these “farmers’” biggest harvest is corporate welfare.

4 Likes

So what, it only grows at a somewhat slower rate when Biden is elected? It is pretty awful, but I predict there will be major disappoint within the first year of a Biden presidency. We will be left with a WORSE national feeling than after the disappoint over OBama’s failure to seek “hope and change”. Biden will in fact be “better” than Trump, but so would my stupid male tomcat be too. So much for “hope AND CHANGE”.

3 Likes

“We base our struggle on the concrete realities of our country. We appreciate the experiences and achievements of other peoples and we study them. But revolution or national liberation is like a dress which must fit to each individual’s body. Naturally , there are certain general or universal laws, even scientific laws, for any condition, but the liberation struggle has to be developed according to the specific conditions of each country.l”

Amilcar Cabral

2 Likes

I will never forget during the primaries how Gates stated unconditionally and loudly that he would vote for impeacehd45pos over Sanders or any progressive.

That was enough for me, and he is a home town hero, so they say.

My buddy’s 401K was shut down because it contained a 5% company match ( so he said ), and I believe him. At least he got some $$$ back.
Another one lost this company’s insurance plan after going from " furloughed " to " laid off ". COBRA is the default position, for him now.
If the Neo-Fascists ( The Corporotocracy ) had used the German & other EU country’s model, in reacting to the COVID-19 pandemic, none of the above things would of happened. In fact, we Americans would be looking at an entirely different landscape right now.
" It doesn’t take a weatherman to tell you which way The UniParty Consensus winds blow ", right?
Isn’t a better response to the likes of Bezos, The Zuck, Ellison, Buffet, Gates, et al… " Ask not for whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee. " And, the sooner the bettrr, imo.

ACA may provide good coverage for lower premium than Cobra.
Also, if the company is self insured, we can be sure the family premium will be at least $800 per month.
This is 80/20 with $5,000 max annual out of pocket.

We can expect more moves from furlough on full pay and benefits to unemployed.
U.S. Treasury support to businesses as money runs out and comany’s do not have funds to continue paying wages to their work force.

Maybe Dementia Joe will help to curb this disparity.

Huge tax increases on the rich are necessary for the survival of our future. There may not even be resistance to that since they have already amassed their wealth.

1 Like

Thanks, Warren. Now, go back and sell that junk to the folks in Omaha, ok?
Which, apparently, has replaced Dubuque as the " new normal " to find out if New York stagecraft will sell in the 3rd decade of the 21st Century.
Which part of the " we " you speak of, don’t you get? 99%?, 90%? 80%, 70%… Oh, I get it now.
It’s the comprehension rate of the 1%ers.
Got it, thanks.

'WE" is the worker.
previously employed and making a valid contribution to society and well being.

Why should WE be expected to pay for THEIR mistakes? WE could swap out 535 death certificates, from COVID-19 and BLM source material, and put THEIR names on them. Start on the island where DeBlazio & Cuomo stashed all those John & Jane Does. And, really get a BRAND NEW CONGRESS, in a week or two. { snark- resistance is not futile , it’s just very slow }

Amen, Ray. Thanks for highlighting just another example of sell-out obumbster. How’d that hopey changy thing work out for the world?

ALL politicians all over the world are on the take. Every single one of them are out for their own interests, not anyone elses . Not a genuine servant of the public in the entire bunch. Nowhere in the world. And yet, the world’s people continue to follow them and expect things to change. We, the people are truly, certifiably insane!

1 Like

George Carlin made great statements but no-one makes it to the big stage( TV,Movies, News, etc. ) without being part of the system ( by design). He was controlled opposition.
wakeup-world ( dot com )controlled-opposition-the-hidden-hand-of-misdirection
I also suggest that Common Dreams despite putting out truth and alternative views is a controlled opposition organization. This has been a favorite of the rulers for a long time it’s often hard to detect. I used to listen to WBAI out of NYC for years before realizing/waking up to the fact that they were leading the viewers in circles and most importantly did not address the deception and lies of 9/11 on their flagship program, Democracy NOW.