Home | About | Donate

Our Best Hope for Better Future

Our Best Hope for Better Future

Aaron Mair, Estela Vazquez

This Labor Day, we are joining together to celebrate the contributions of workers of all races, ethnicities, and nationalities to the struggle to hold our country true to the promise of a political and economic democracy, "with liberty and justice for all."

We recognize that the movement for a truly just society is much stronger when we join forces. The same interests who stand in the way of workers' struggles for economic justice are standing in the way of environmental justice and a clean energy economy, and they are standing in the way of racial and immigrant justice.

Fairy tales are instructive for what they reinforce and demonize, For many children, fairy tales act as the original morality tales that continue to unconsciously mold their existences.

One fairytale that comes to mind is that of Sleeping Beauty. At her birth, one important female ("witch") is not invited to the celebration, and as the story goes... she responds by placing a spell on the child that keeps her in a sleep state. This spell can only be broken by the kiss of a handsome prince.

This idea of leaving a certain female power out of equations by not inviting her to the "party" or giving her status any mention continues into this so-called real world.

For all of the good being done by this bridge-making, where is there any scant mention of the following:

1. That women hold the lowest wage jobs
  2. That women are paid about 2/3rds what men are for doing the same work
  3. That males (particularly Caucasian males) advance faster and in greater numbers than women do within corporate and other hierarchies
  4. That one in 5 women is raped on U.S. college campuses
  5. That there is enormous sexism still operational in this country and it shows up as a rape culture
  6. That women's access to birth control (not to mention abortion) is under massive siege (and reproductive sovereignty plays a HUGE role in women's employment options and economic realities)

Militarism and muscular capitalism are what's cannibalizing the U.S. (along with much of the rest of the world's) budget. The laxity allotted to Wall St. speculators merged into banks has created a debt bubble that can never be repaid, and while the crunch currently is on Puerto Rico and Greece, those two entities merely represent the lowest hanging fruit.

It's time to bring Women's Rights into the discussion and add it to the struggle for a more sane, just, humane, and equitable nation... and world!

It's really sad that this staple to corporatism, militarism, and the reversion to old patriarchy through a resurgence of fundamentalist religions is so seldom mentioned.

It is an insult to women. Making the struggles particular to women invisible differs how from the mainstream media making Mr. Sanders disappear from discussions and the public's (intended) view?

This is the primary quote that my post is in response to:

"We embrace those who work to build bridges between our movements and reject the legacy of an outdated agenda that fosters institutionalized police violence, and social, economic and political inequalities that have systematically disempowered Native Americans and Communities of Color. Whether the demand is for economic justice represented by the "Fight for $15", justice for immigrants led by the Dreamers, racial justice as manifested by Black Lives Matter, or climate and environmental justice as reflected in the People's Climate Movement, the common thread is youth-led uprising of millions of working class and progressive people, are calling for a more equitable and just democracy."

SR. I sometimes find your comments perspicacious and at other times downright goofy, and should applaud the former and deride the latter but usually do neither in difference to discretion. Sometimes you display an ability for sound reasoning and at others you come up with responses that originate way out there in left field.

Where in this blog did you encounter a reference to gender other than the line "Together, we are celebrating the burgeoning movements, many led by youth, people of color, and women but benefitting(sic) all of us", and the direction to a quote from one of the most brilliant women and supreme humanists of our age, to Arundhahti Roy? What was it that instigated you feminist diatribe? I see no connection between it and this "Hope for a Better Future".

It was conspicuous by its absence.

It's what is not said. Did you read the quote I placed as "Exhibit A" in triggering my comment? Mention is specifically made to racial justice, environmental justice, and fairer wages but not an iota about women's rights which so many of you boys so summarily dismiss as "off the topic," or irrelevant or divisive.

It's this very dismissal that is at the root of sexism and what allows patriarchy to maintain is asymmetric system (and warfare). This system discounts what does not conform to the spectrum of "white boy" formatting known as history and/or tradition. Many Black males don't recognize their own sexism, it's so deeply ingrained.

Also, what YOU call left-field is the way patriarchy has--for centuries--sought to quiet women, rob them of their particular intuition, and discredit the FEMININE side of sentience. Mine is highly developed.

I would no more try to tell my car mechanic how to fix an engine than I would politely allow someone who is 100% ignorant to my field of expertise denounce it as "goofy" and "out of left field."

The same logic that allows for what you qualify as "perspicacious" commentary is the same intellectual acuity that I bring to those things "never dreamt of in your world, Horatio." You only recognize it when it's applied to mundane events and their underlying causative factors.

Unlike you, I LIKE to broaden the dimensions of discourse.

Back to the times of Shakespeare there were those whose psyches were blinded wholly by the limited witness of the physical senses, and those who sensed and saw beyond them.

BTW: You seem to think I require your approval or validation. I assure you--I do not. You've made this same comment (with slightly different wording) at least 3 times in the past. Do you even hear your paternalistic chauvinism? That you somehow seem to think you are in a position to validate the worth--or viability--of what is totally valid to my experience? In other words, what makes you judge?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

End the wars and jail the war criminals.

"Our Best Hope for Better Future":

Encrypted, decentralized, Grassroots Online Democracy (GOD.. ?) : family

Bridge building between movements typically consists of formulating an action agenda based on common interests, on forging compromises where interests have marginal conflicts, and by agreement to set aside fundamentally conflicting differences. Such cooperation tends to work best where the root values are similar and where there was already some overlapping effort taking place--such as with the ecology movements and the nuclear disarmament movements of the 70's and 80's. My sense is the general focus here is on uniting the general movements against the heavy ecological and climate footprint of corporate-dominated models of production and the movements against the heavy economic footprint of corporate-dominated capitalism.

Climate change, pollution, and current modes of energy production tends to hit poor, minority and native populations harder, so there's a natural point of overlap with the economic policies which also tend to land heaviest on those same populations. Naomi Klein is trying to weave social justice and economic transformation into the climate movement. Vandana Shiva's efforts for agriculture reform also have both a climate change tie-in and an opposition to the giant agri-business model which has left so many small farmers economically devastated. The Pope's encyclical was cited as a possible framework for outreach to the larger Catholic community--providing impetus on both the climate and economic equity fronts. Longtime climate and social justice activists can offer new-arrivals in the Catholic community the benefit of their experience and an already-existing action network, and all concerned benefit from increased unity and less duplicated effort, so it has the potential to be a win for all.

The climate tie-in with low-wage (and particularly fast food) workers seemed weak, aside from the fact that increased wages for these workers means less money for their corporate overlords to throw at derailing certain climate efforts, but there may have been an aspect of quid pro quo, where there is no inherent conflict between low wage workers and climate activists, so by helping the downtrodden, maybe that will put them into a better position to be helpful in the future, particularly if their voting rights have been protected. I gather portions of the Occupy movement scored a big win with public opinion in their efforts after superstorm Sandy, again tying together themes of protecting people from the ravages of corporate economic policies and protecting people from the ravages of extreme weather brought on by corporate-dominated production activity.

And I'm pretty sure that the brief list given in this article was not meant to be exhaustive. Vandana Shiva's primary interests weren't specifically cited, but I'm confident her efforts and groups are nonetheless welcome and appreciated. And I did not get the impression this is an invitation-only affair. If you are keen to wade in and try to do some bridge-building using those winning people skills of yours, I doubt there will be any bouncers at the door to turn you away.

I am curious though, given your feelings about paternalistic anti-abortion religions, how did you imagine yourself doing bridge-building with the Catholics? How were you going to get them on board for your issues, and what were you planning to offer them in return?

Did you have an action agenda for getting women promoted faster in corporations (or other large institutions, like the military)? What action did you want these diverse groups to take regarding rape in college? Do you see either of those as pertinent to relieving the ecological and/or economic burdens created by corporations and their related (or effectively owned) large institutions?

I can see a tie-in when it comes to access to cheap and effective contraception, but I think the challenge there is going to be in addressing Catholic concerns. Even Catholics who feel contraception is not inherently evil worry that it is just the thin end of the wedge which ultimately leads to abortion.

One other problem for you is that these other groups largely behave as groups. There is a fair amount of unity of purpose or belief, and they generally have well-supported leaders who can speak for them, and make deals on their behalf. Women, as such, don't have that kind of unity, or organization, or representation. So what would be the foundation on your end from which to build a bridge?

New World natives might justifiably feel that both continents passed the "too many immigrants" mark several centuries ago.