Home | About | Donate

'Our Climate Is Breaking Down. Business As Usual Is Over': Campaigners Interrupt Televised Speech of UK Treasury Official

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/20/our-climate-breaking-down-business-usual-over-campaigners-interrupt-televised-speech

2 Likes

I think Al Gore nailed with his opening title to climate change. “An Inconvenient Truth.”
Ain’t so, ain’t it so? Apparently people can’t handle the truth of what we are about to witness.

3 Likes

Good luck trying something like this at a Republican event. Heads would be broken.

1 Like

Violence is the first refuge of the scoundrel, and no republican alive can pass as anything better than a scoundrel. I think most republicans see the destruction of this planet as their God given right.

2 Likes

As shown in the picture, wine will be the last thing to go off of the table because we have laid away a 50 year stockpile of the stuff. Wine isn’t as subject to the vagarities of nature because a few poor harvests can be made up by the stockpile.

No, there isn’t anything else on the table to eat, and that’s going to become a problem.

1 Like

Try not to think of it in binary terms- it isn’t only Republicans that are killing us. Obama “all of the above”, who didn’t even show up to the first Climate Conference during his tenure, was no better. This is not Republican vs. Democrat. This is the 1% vs the rest of us and hundreds of other species. When you think in those terms, you are better equipped to locate the real source of the problem and tackle it in time, hopefully, to prevent the worst.

2 Likes

They will do anything as long as they can make a profit off of it.

3 Likes

I’ve written on this subject 'till I’m blue in the face. A collapse is coming. There’s no way to avoid it any longer. No one of any consequence seems to see the climate crisis/6th Mass Extinction Event for all its vainglory ugliness. It’s here today and they sip champagne. They fund more wells and drilling. They are insuring most of the world’s population will perish, hopefully theirs along with all their ill gotten capital from industrialization they support. Peace, all. Stop wars and militaries.

2 Likes

I guess I agree with this, I think binary still applies though, except we can’t think of it as democrat and republican, we need to think of it as left vs right. The fact is the two main party’s are right wing. Only a few if the most hated and feared members of the democrats, (five of them as Pelosi puts it), are left wing. With people like Pelosi calling herself a progressive, and Biden claiming to have been fighting for human rights his whole career, its Important we don’t go with titles; instead we have to go with the more radicalized leftists in the political arena, and completely disown the rest of them - regardless of the outcome to the election for that particular election. There will always be some heinous republican by which loyalist right wing democrats will justify advancing a right wing democratic candidate. Steering hard left, for a bare minimum of half a century at a time, is our only prayer for ongoing human survival, and permanent and irreversible changes have to be made permanent so that business never wield any power at all, ever again, no matter what!

1 Like

Yeah Olhippy, they who own everything certainly do know what is coming. Why else would they be buying up New Zealand? And large tracks of land over aquifers down in South America?

Hmmmm. Don’t get blue in the face, you can’t and neither can I, fix any of this. We just get to watch it come like standing on the tracks with the train a’coming…though don’t stop spreading knowledge about what science is saying is happening all around us. I will certainly continue to refuse to shut up and get with the ‘program’ because it’s one small thing that I can do. Inform others on climate reality with facts and documentation.

But you know something? It gets a tiny bit more weird when you learn that there are climate scientists going to therapy to figure out how to deal with the facts of their own research and then having to go home to face their own young children…and tell them what?

What does a parent do in that situation, facing the tornado coming across the field at them? They pull the child’s face into their chest and wrap their arms around them to hide the truth about to happen. How can you do that as a climatologist/parent? Or just maybe not have kids because, well, you know…

And no, I didn’t have kids by choice but I raised three of someone else’s.

Of course now the kids would have their cell phone between them and parent hugging and probably would be complaining that they couldn’t read the text that just came in…unreal! Some, like Greta Thunberg and others of her generation, are aware and at least are trying something like we did back when we were young…

sealintheSelkirks (old surfer longhair guy)

1 Like

The governor of the Bank of England, due to give a speech later, has stolen Venezuela’s gold that it needed to import food and medical goods. While risking the bank’s reputation as a reliable international repository, he’s also showed us which side of the 1% vs. 99% he’s on.