Home | About | Donate

Our Disaster: Why the United States Bears Responsibility for Yemen’s Humanitarian Crisis

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/06/01/our-disaster-why-united-states-bears-responsibility-yemens-humanitarian-crisis

Zbigniew Brzezinski’s (1997) The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy And Its Geostrategic Imperatives spells all of this out in forethought. Hell, it’s in the title… Uncle Sam’s gloves are soaked in blood.

1 Like

Mike Pompeo is a Born-Again Christian. Of course he loves violence and war. That’s what Born-Again Christians are. That’s what they do.

2 Likes

Don’t like the title----The US could stop the war in Yemen if they really wanted too. And how many children are dying in Venezuela or Iran because of US sanctions that hardly ever gets mentioned.

Sick weak minds are in charge.

A recent AP report described a network of secret detention centers where security forces have severely abused women they’ve targeted as dissenters. In the Sanaa governorate alone, an estimated 200 to 350 women and girls are being held, according to multiple human rights groups. A U.N. panel of experts accused Sultan Zabin, the head of the Sanaa criminal investigative division, of running an undisclosed detention site where women have been raped and tortured.

This passage is vague about who is responsible, though the U.S./Saudi-back side is likely the problem.

I’m not inclined to distrust AP when it runs what seem to be factual stories that Washington doesn’t like. More often it runs stuff that Washington does like, and that’s what I’m wary of. (Since the CIA is Washington, it’s of course in tandem.)

Amnesty in Britain seems in step with the State Department’s view of Latin America (especially
Venezuela and Nicaragua). Amnesty Canada is not that bad, though I don’t think it says much
about other branches’ reactionary stances. Amnesty U.S. – didn’t it hire a State Dept. flunky as ED?
As bad as HRW, I guess, which has (or at least had) some Pentagon influence.