Home | About | Donate

Our Failure to Invest in Infrastructure Is Literally Making Us Sick: #JusticeforFlint

Our Failure to Invest in Infrastructure Is Literally Making Us Sick: #JusticeforFlint

Lindsay Koshgarian

My water’s clean, but I’m feeling sick anyway.

The residents of Flint have gone without clean water for 752 days, and counting. That’s more than two years: long enough for toddlers to become preschoolers, for infants to graduate from lead-tainted formula to lead-tainted Kool-Aid. When you think of school kids subjected to lead poisoning for years in the supposedly greatest country on earth, it’s hard not to feel sick. It’s not my kid. But it could be.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The companion article to this one ought to be Ellen Brown's "Print the Money". When we "print the money" for infrastructure development instead of enriching private bankers bottom line profits we employ people who buy goods and services as well as pay taxes with their wages and by so doing stimulate the economy and generate the wealth needed for further infrastructure repairs and expansion.

Spot on, Poet. If post 2008 stimulus had followed your recommendation, the US would have had a real recovery and infrastructure would be improving rather than decaying.

The 2009 General Motors bailout "stimulus" did just the opposite. GM used the money to close US auto plants, expand auto plants in China and buy back stock, all actions that continue to benefit stockholders and executives at the expense of US workers, US communities, and the tax base that funds US infrastructure.

The failure in Flint was not caused by infrastructure, but rather by callous disrespect for Flint's citizens. Adding the recommended corrosion inhibitors easily and affordably would have kept the lead from leaching into the water. The pipe pictures, while seemingly shocking are of no concern to those in the business of delivering water, as the pipes actually would be more filled with scale inside were the corrosion inhibited. I urge CD to find another graphic (perhaps a periodic table to represent the manifold complexities of water chemistry) in lieu of such "graphic" and yet misleading photographs.

Having said that, failing infrastructure is a MAJOR problem in this country.

In addition to confusing decaying infrastructure with a failure to spend money to properly OPERATE the Flint water system that you point out WiseOwl, Michigan's economic downward spiral of the past half century has attracted and sustained many other mischaracterizations, The post 2008 taxpayer funded GM bailout money was used to close US plants, expand plants in China and buy back stock, benefiting stockholders and executives at the expense of Michigan workers, communities and tax bases that fund the operation and upgrading of infrastructure.

But 1 trillion was just earmarked for "upgrading" the nation's arsenal of nuclear weapons over the course of the next 10 years. It's been documented that the MIC (and its consortium of weapons' designers) have the means to kill every living being on this planet MANY TIMES over. There is ZERO need for any new nuclear weapons... and zero moral justification for those that exist.

But in the name of National Security... entire cities will be left to ruin, set up as necessary sacrifice zones all so that The Beast can flex HIS macho muscles.

Until it's understood that the capacity to kill is demonic, rather than godly (of course it does comport with one archetypal god; and that's Mars, the god of war) the fixation with weapons will continue as the dis-ease that it is, and chief characteristic of patriarchy.

Not to mention that many military expenditures for occupations and wars are done "off budget" which means that not even the pretense of budgeting protocol, checks and balances or accountability ever occurs.

The city government of Flint has known for decades that there was a potential problem with their water lines. They should have appropriated the funds from their local citizens years ago to start incremental replacement of lead pipes, and they ignored the problem. Now I'm supposed to dig into my pocket and fix their water system? Thank you very much, I'm paying taxes in my own town to update and maintain infrastructure systems. Flint should pay to fix their own problems.

GOV'S BIG SELL OFF iF PEOPLE HAVEN'T BY NOW FIGURED IT OUT. iT HAS BEEN A PLAN FOR DECADES TO TURN OVER EVERY ASPECT OF GOV. TO PRIVATE CONTRACTORS. EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE. THEY DO THIS BY RUNNING UP MASSIVE DEBT. AND INFRASTRUCTURE IS AUCTIONED OFF BIT BY BIT. TO CORPORATIONS AROUND THE WORLD - FOR A FEE THEY COME IN REPAIR AND MAINTAIN ROADS - WATER AND ANY THING ELSE THE GOV NO LONGER WANTS TO BE LIABLE FOR. IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA - ROAD WAYS HAVE TOLLS SET UP AT EXTREME OVER PRICING. tHEY JUST PASSED A LAW WHERE AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS WILL BE LET GO OVER THE NEXT SEVEN YEARS AND REPLACED BY PRIVATE CORPORATIONS. WE SEE IT WITH THE PRISON SYSTEMS AND WE WILL SEE IT WITH OUR POLICE FORCE. EVERY THING WILL BE FOR SALE.. SO JUMP IN AND GET A PIECE OF THE ACTION..

There's really not enough left to take from the poor to finance this. We ended actual welfare, food stamps have virtually been ended, we cut education, housing and health care budgets to the bone, etc., etc. We're still going to be paying off our latest war after we launch the next one. We did decide that human needs was at the bottom of our list of priorities, and water is a human need.

Yes, we've been hearing about this for over 20 years. What should we do about it?

I'm surprised they didn't try to impose a fine.

Keep on speaking out in hopes that, before it's too late, enough of the populace will get sufficiently indignant to elect "democratic" officials who will properly regulate everything and enforce the regulations with criminal sanctions. Is it possible for this to happen before one of the catastrophic tipping points we are at the outer edge of tips? I doubt it but hope I'm wrong.