Home | About | Donate

Our Fake Commander-in-Chief Steps on a Landmine—Again

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/09/07/our-fake-commander-chief-steps-landmine-again

1 Like

What a ridiculously pro-war article! More of the patriotic support our troops rubbish. If people would refuse to join the military our govt. would have to bring back the draft which I guarantee would end a lot of these foolish military endeavors that have gotten all these so-called “war heroes” killed in the first place, not to mention free up billions of dollars to spend on things that actually benefit the people here at home.

My heroes are people who have stood up to all this militarism and refused to participate in this needless killing and waste of money. My ancestors were burned at the stake and buried alive, not to mention persecuted relentlessly in other ways, for refusing to participate in war, so when I read articles like this about how we should be worshiping all the fallen soldiers instead of condemning their killing (or willingness to kill others) it makes my blood boil.

9 Likes

Funny, Michael Corleone came around to seeing things his father’s way.

And the entire premise of capitalism – the system that defines this country – is based on self-interest, aka “what’s in it for me?”

And let me add that my father, a military recruiter, never advised me or my siblings to enlist. On top of that, he made it abundantly clear that where his military service was concerned, his patriotism took a back seat to the nice pension he “earned” when he retired as a colonel after serving in the Air Force Reserves. My father was many things – not all of them praiseworthy – a sucker wasn’t one of them.

On the other hand, let’s see now:
Korea (Loss)
Viet Nam (Loss)
Afghanistan (Loss)
Iraq (Loss)
Libya (Loss)
Syria (Loss)

Yeah, I’m seeing some pretty good evidence for the “losers” part of the equation.

7 Likes

I was drafted in late April 1970, one week before Kent State.
My first day in boot camp I knew ‘they’ were f’n with our minds.
Get uniformed and booted, marched and fed, marched twice again,
fed and taken to an auditorium for introductory speeches.
Lastly came an invitation to the base theater for a current movie.
Decided to go. Guess what the movie was? Wait for it. “Alice’s Restaurant” - true story.
I knew then they were f’n with our minds.

6 Likes

I hear this argument frequently, then I look at Korea and Vietnam and wonder, would it really? If Nixon hadn’t put an end to Vietnam when he did, the draft may very well have killed me. Before the American war in Vietnam ended, the draft did kill close to 60,000 Americans and over 1.5 million Vietnamese. Would it have been any worse without a draft? I don’t know. It could have been.

2 Likes

Great comments, so far, but I have to point out that Mr. Winship is just another neocon propagandist, spinning jingoistic nonsense without an ounce of evidence to back it up.

(“Trump trashes troops!” “Russia/Iran pays bounties for U.S. soldiers!” “Bernie Sanders/Tulsi Gabbard/Donald Trump is a Russian dupe!” “Putin swung the 2016 election with troll farm ads!” “Saddam and al Qaeda are in cahoots, and Saddam has an arsenal of WMDs… Get 'im!”)

Not that journalism counts for much anymore, but Pulitzer-winner Glenn Greenwald has done some excellent reporting on the false-confirmation “journalism” that gives legs to bullshit stories like this one: ~https://theintercept.com/2020/09/05/journalisms-new-propaganda-tool-using-confirmed-to-mean-its-opposite/

I suppose Winship thinks he’s fighting “the good fight,” but I just can’t see things that way when he’s carrying water for the rah-rah neoconservatives who have only brought a holocaust to Middle Eastern Muslims in recent years: ~http://invitation2artivism.com/assuaging-white-liberal-guilt-by-erasing-millions

If the Democrats hadn’t spent the last few years championing the worst of the worst neocons and spooks – from John Brennan to David Frum to John Bolton to Michael Hayden to Max Boot to Ken Dilanian to William Kristol to Jeffrey Goldberg and beyond – maybe I could see Mr. Winship’s point.

But all I can see with this column is an opportunist elitist jumping on the latest bandwagon – on behalf of the worsts fascists since the Third Reich (the people who are PO’d that Trump hasn’t expanded the GWOT).

Michael Winship, who needs you? (What are you adding to this conversation that the right-leaning corporate media hasn’t got covered?)

5 Likes

Seems YOU need him just to have another body who actually respects the military, rather than hating anything that even sniffs like it might once have been related to the military the way you appear to.

1 Like

Trump says stupid things and disparages everybody. Whether this is real or fake news, however, is anyone’s guess as Glenn Greenwald explains in his Intercept article " Journalism’s New Propaganda Tool: Using “Confirmed” to Mean Its Opposite"

2 Likes

I’ve had compassion for our troops for longer than you can know – and I don’t appreciate your insipid and baseless attack on me.

I wrote the following plea to help our military members (and stop the butchery of Muslims) over 12 years ago. It was one of my very first blog posts. My father, a Korean War veteran, read every word of it, and heartily approved. I hope you will, too.

~http://invitation2artivism.com/a-blast-from-my-code-pink-past-an-olive-branch-to-the-right/

2 Likes

Don’t mistake the Orange Anus for those individuals who stand up against perpetual war.

Remember, now, that since Vietnam, there’s no confusion about why people choose the military. It’s the largest welfare program available and those don’t need the money simply want to murder.

I see your point, Ron, but I urge you to read about who actually signs up:

~https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/10/us/military-enlistment.html

1 Like