Home | About | Donate

Our Long National Debate Nightmare is Over

Our Long National Debate Nightmare is Over

Richard Eskow

“No, you’re the puppet!”

Well, that was grueling. How did the third and final debate manage to be so sensationalistic and yet at the same time so boring? It seemed to go on forever.

The media declared that Donald Trump lost the debate the moment he refused to promise he’d accept the election outcome, saying “I will keep you in suspense, okay?” But they couched their outrage in the warm, soft glow of insular self-satisfaction. There are deep problems with our democracy, and with the journalistic profession that is supposed to serve it.

When I vote for POTUS , I select the candidate who is most likely to be my advocate in Washington DC.

If I was one of the low information voters who limits their choice to red or blue, the 2016 debates would have left me with the feeling that I have a choice between having my left leg cut off or my right leg cut off.

Anybody wanting to keep both legs intact best vote Green.

These so called debates should make any intelligent American be ashamed to be an American! But the nightmare is not over, in fact, it is just starting!

Why does Mr Eskow say that "there are deep problems with our democracy" when government is not "our"s and its not "democracy"?

Our long national nightmare will have just begun on January 20th 2017.

The Electoral College should be junked in favor of a strict popular voting system with multiple parties allowed to run.
The top two candidates would then hold a run-off with the top vote getter elected.

Richard Eskow's title reminded me of Gerald Ford's acceptance speech after Nixon resigned.
Back then the phrase was followed by these words:
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over. Our Constitution works; our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men.

Here the people rule. But there is a higher Power, by whatever name we honor Him, who ordains not only righteousness but love, not only justice but mercy.

As we bind up the internal wounds of Watergate, more painful and more poisonous than those of foreign wars, let us restore the golden rule to our political process, and let brotherly love purge our hearts of suspicion and of hate..."
Gerald Ford
Remarks on taking the oath of office
08-09-74
That's how much has been lost in the past 42 years.

Thank you. Voting one's conscience cannot be morally wrong. Also, if we continue to submit ourselves to D or R, they can count on our inclusion in the next election, and any 3rd party will be tossed out as always.

The only way we will ever have a viable third party is to vote for them and support them whenever, however possible. But I must say, this is the saddest, most unreal election in my life. And every day will still be groundhog day after the election.

yup - This debate was not boring - it was irrelevant - because the critical issues facing us - primarily the risk of global nuclear war with Russia have never been addressed. Mrs. Clinton's utterly irresponsible and unfounded accusation that Russia hacked the DNC and fed the leaks to wikileaks - a claim both Putin and Lavrov vehemently deny and call "preposterous" - was just one more instance of Mrs. Clinton making a vain attempt to writhe out of her hypocritical positions with "Putin did it" - her standard response every time she gets caught breaking the law. If she keeps up with this reckless propaganda, we may be at war before she even takes office.

We can actually have election of the president by popular vote without amending the Constitution:

www.nationalpopularvote.com

The debate had more substance than the first two. The first half hour was sounded almost like presidential debates of the past. But then Clinton got down to the real business of the day and hit Trump with her puppet of Putin remark and it off to chaos. With chaos reigning Trump again proved to be no match for Clinton and went down to a third defeat, although not as decisive as the in the first debate. The debates this time seemed to be very valuable because Trump got exposed as someone who could not hold his own with Clinton. His image as a winner was severely tarnished. The first debate was really his downfall and the second debate confirmed that the first was no fluke. The third debate really wasn't necessary and it largely confirmed was the fist two debates showed.