Home | About | Donate

Our Media Problem is Deeper than We Admit

Our Media Problem is Deeper than We Admit

John Hawes

The roots of our media dysfunction are deeply embedded in the ethos of the country, and always have been. We are -- in our dominant value system, our historical behavior, and even to some extent in our very genes – pirates: We are the ideological and biological descendants of Vikings, robber barons, slave runners, and the stereotypical mad scientist villains who populate James Bond fantasies. By contrast, relatively balanced, peace-loving, community-building citizens are, by definition and since the very beginning, outside the dominant culture.

Recall Citizen Kane debuting in 1941 depicting William Randolph Hearst's fake news empire.

Hearst bragged about making the news, not just reporting it. The mainstream media hobbled director Orson Welles' career to send the message to other media players to avoid messing with fake news.

Although Trump is spot on criticizing fake news, he fails to mention that he and the GOP have a track record of creating and sustaining fake news that is second to none.

For anyone that cares to check it out, Americans have been subjected to fake war news for at least, the past 200 years by the economic, media, elite. They were cheerleaders for slavery; for stealing the Native Americans lands; and for the massacre of untold numbers of indigenous people, labeling them with the egregious, pejorative " savages".

The MSM were cheerleaders for the invasion of Cuba and the false flag of the Maine; for the false flag of the Lusitania; for the second world war; for the Korean war; for the false flag of the Gulf of Tonkin; and to this day nothing has changed. The MSM is still cheer leading and not apologizing for the shocking and awful attack of Iraq, for oil, and the current 15 year poppy war in Afghanistan.

Yes our Media problem is much deeper than we admit!

This article completely ignores the two biggest problems with modern media:
1) the influence of the shadow state and the intelligence community

2) the effect of Edward Bernays and marketing

He doesn't ignore these things. Their significance can be understood in the light of the critique that the author makes of the ideological foundations of the US.
Do you disagree with anything he writes?

And the Bana Alabed psy op.

Google Caitlin Johnstone and Bana Alabed.

Moreover: Powerful industrialist republicans of the Civil War era probably viewed freed slaves as future wage-slave labor alongside Irish, Italian, Chinese, other immigrants and the working poor. Republicans today who associate themselves with the party of Lincoln, may view their party leadership as of that kind of class warfare apologist.

I don't disagree with him, but I don't believe he has addressed the underlying problems. The modern media is fundamentally broken, and deliberately so.

I agree with everyone here. " It is very hard to be against something you are ( extremely ) well paid to be for ". And, the Fox News scandals point out what someone will endure for $$$ and a big opportunity. And, that example is just so easy to explain what money, power amd privilege does, mostly with impunity, all the time in the MSM.

Important points in this article on the cultural foundations of the society, so frequently ignored. What is possible politically is generally confined by the prevailing cultural norms in the population. To anyone familiar with western democratic countries today - which have similar economic/political systems as us - can you even imagine a scenario where the police officers i.e. the state, kill 100 people per month with no impunity?...or another with 3% of the population incarcerated and punished again afterwards...or lack of family leave...and on and on? The political or economic system is one thing, but the cultural system is quite another.

Thanks, Hawes, how's Poppy?

What else could we expect, dogpaddle, he worked for Poppy.

No more representative government, no more elites

Direct Democracy.

I tend to think that what you note, " It is very hard to be against something you are ( extremely ) well paid to be for ", points to yet another important element of the news: TIME.
The element of time seems always to be treated as a static, virtually architectural component of life. In reality it does not exist, there is only the present and anticipation of the future and choice to either recognize, or not, the consequences of the past in the present.
What time, as treated in the "modern/western" world, does do is provide an infinitely expandable and contractible chopping block for everything addressed by its 'architecture'. Not all calendars are alike, but clocks are.

From Kurt Vonnegut's "Breakfast of Champions":

"Actually, the sea pirates who had the most to do with the creation of the new government owned human slaves. They used human beings for machinery, and, even after slavery was eliminated, because it was so embarrassing, they and their descendants continued to think of ordinary human beings as machines. The sea pirates were white. The people who were already on the continent when the pirates arrived were copper-colored. When slavery was introduced onto the continent, the slaves were black. Color was everything.
Here is how the pirates were able to take whatever they wanted from anybody else: they had the best boats in the world, and they were meaner than anybody else, and they had gunpowder, which is a mixture of potassium nitrate, charcoal, and sulphur. They touched the seemingly listless powder with fire, and it turned violently into gas. This gas blew projectiles out of metal tubes at terrific velocities. The projectiles cut through meat and bone very easily; so the pirates could wreck the wiring or the bellows or the plumbing of a stubborn human being, even when he was far, far away.
The chief weapon of the sea pirates, however, was their capacity to astonish. Nobody else could believe, until it was much too late, how heartless and greedy they were.”

We don't need to re-invent the wheel here.

Any critique of the media - and the US media in particular - starts with it being operated under private ownership which is bought, sold and speculated under the capitalist system, and where other capitalist interests (advertizers) rather than people are its customers. Yet, the word "capitalism" does not appear in Mr. Hawes' article.

I wonder if Mr. Hawes has read Herman and Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent - The Political Economy of the Mass Media or any of the works of Robert McChesney.

And don't leave out actions like the Denver newspaper, The Rocky Mountain News, and its instigation of the Sand Creek Massacre in 1864. From an editorial following the massacre:

"Among the brilliant feats of arms in Indian warfare, the recent campaign of our Colorado volunteers will stand in history with few rivals, and none to exceed it in final results. We are not prepared to write its history, which can only be done by some one who accompanied the expedition, but we have gathered from those who participated in it, and from others who were in that part country, some facts which will doubtless interest many of our readers."

In fact, 675 soldiers with cannons killed mostly women and children after attacking a sleeping camp that had been granted protection by the Federal government.

I generally agree, however, some of the reasons for differences are due to the political systems. Other "democracies" have parliamentary systems and in particular electoral systems which are far more democratic than the absurd US system - the "electoral college", ruling-party-gerrymandering and no usage of proportional representation, first-past-the-post and no runoffs...

I have read many atrocities of the Native Americans, but never the one you posted. Thank you!

How in the hell can you call it a " BRILLIANT FEAT" the massacre by 675 soldiers with cannons, attacking a sleeping camp, " of mostly women and children that had been granted protection by the Federal Government" ?

Sickness was in those butchers. And, having personally visited this site, it feels like it is still in the ground where the blood of the women and children seeped. Returning to the highway, I recommended listening to some music. The response was, " you need to focus on driving, we're going like 85 miles an hour ".
" And, the newspaper boys in Denver hollered out the headlines, eventually making enough money to feed and shelter their mothers and siblings for weeks, while the fathers' earnest search for gold and silver continued. Liguor sales spiked as saloons swelled with the battles' heroes, retelling their personal tales. Merchants sold record numbers of guns and ammunition, as the vigilant citizens prepared for a counter insurgency. Land speculators and bankers stocked up on contractual documents, telling East Coast reporters, " the gates of the former Indian Territories are opening wide, opportunities abound for those wishing to seize them. The sky's the limit ". The Dept. of War & Congress, desiring to link the East and West, enlisted the railroad barons with promises of free land and virtual monopolies on trade and commerce. And bored old generals, flocked to Washington, D. C., telling anyone who'd listen, " I'm the man who can end this Indian problem in 4 or 5 years, with adequate resources. I'm a man that gets things done. Trust me ". So it went, and went...."