Home | About | Donate

'Our Movement Didn't Just Win. We Earned Mandate for Change,' Says Ilhan Omar After Soundly Defeating Big-Money Challenger

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/12/our-movement-didnt-just-win-we-earned-mandate-change-says-ilhan-omar-after-soundly

3 Likes

This Canadian supports " Ilhan Omar and her policies ".

Mr. Blair M. Phillips
Canada
Retired

9 Likes

I approve this message.

Mr. Smerl
Alabama Converted Redneck
Retired

9 Likes

Another great example of progressive influence rising.

9 Likes

And the “Masters of the Universe” are worried:

~https://truthout.org/articles/noam-chomsky-trump-is-quite-capable-of-an-october-surprise/

Noam Chomsky: Trump Is Quite Capable of an “October Surprise”

2 Likes

Happy Congrats to her, her Team, and the people of Minnesota !

9 Likes

Everything Trump touches dies, i.e. the GOP.

4 Likes

People Power, which at the national level had seemingly been on life support, is getting back momentum, even if more slowly than I would have liked. Go Ilhan! Go Squad! Progressives of the World, Unite!

10 Likes

Second straight defeat for the Lobby…nice!

2 Likes

Ilhan Omar’s challenger was funded by AIPAC and its many offshoots.

Looks like the pro-(Apartheid State of)Israel lobby continues to wane in influence.

Which is nice.

13 Likes

More proof of a true American mix tired of the “same ol’-same-ol”, seeking a revolution. Hats off to you, Mr Smerl!

3 Likes

Not really, they love and got Kamala.

~https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/01/31/kamala-harris-and-israel-taking-the-aipac-line/

The entire d-party establishment wanted Kambama.
And fittingly, the NYTimes is calling her the safe choice.

I’m pretty sure they mean “safe for oligarchs.”

5 Likes

True, but still a small victory with Tlaib and Omar, nonetheless. Hey - you gotta take 'em when you can get 'em. The “V’s” for the good guys are hard to come by these days.

9 Likes

Congratulations to Ilhan Omar for her win and even more congratulations to those who supported her and kept another Progressive in office. To win the war against Corporate Interests and Concentrated Wealth we will need a strong and organized public who will work to put candidates who really represent the working class in office.

7 Likes

A detail that caught my eye was Congresswoman Omar’s main challenger spent 4.1 million in his losing effort. Granted, in this Democratic district, this was the re-election of the congresswoman, but it’s an indication of the billions we are spending and will spend to tilt our democracy toward the rich.
It will be a bright day for this country when the Citizens United decision is overturned.

14 Likes

Good that she won, but without Sanders in leadership, it won’t matter much.

Americans would rather see Bezos become a trillionaire than have a health insurance system that costs less and gets better results.

Then they incoherently return the squad.

I guess it’s better with them in congress than the corporate tools. Im so very happy she held on to her seat.

2 Likes

What an incredible Woman. Congresswoman Omar is exactly the type of Representatives we need in Congress. People that come to Washington to actually Represent We The People Instead of selling their Votes to Big Donor Corporations.

She has the Republican Party and Corporate Dems uneasy about her presence in Congress. The Woman is Fearless and exposes the Phony Representatives who place taking legal Bribes ahead of doing what is best for their Constituents.

Bravo Omar, may you serve in Congress til the place is swept clean of the Trash that Represent Big Donors and continuously deny We The People the Representation we demand like: Medicare For All and the Green New Deal.

11 Likes

Agree - the hope is in the primaries, the first hurdle to change the democrats grassroots support. Totally applaud this WIN.

1 Like

This seems to be the Canadian Commons. We rarely see specifically Canadian news stories, and often see a plurality of northern commonwealthers among the correspondents. Possibly US Americans are effectively bullied into silence by the surveillance state, or else Canadians are just more locquacious, or a combination of the two…

I heard Canadians only need three letters to spell the name of their country: C eh? N eh? D eh?