Home | About | Donate

Our Post-Carbon Future Depends on Electric Vehicles—Our Congress Controls Their Economic Lifeline

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/13/our-post-carbon-future-depends-electric-vehicles-our-congress-controls-their

As long as congressional members are allowed to take funds from the Fossil Fuel Industry, we can never depend on them to do what’s best for us and our planet.

Make it illegal to take money from this industry with stiff penalties including loss of position and prison time, and perhaps then Congress could be trusted.

I’d rather see a more comprehensive bell that also bill that injects more federal funding into public transit and intercity rail.

And regarding the Smart Electric Drive shown in the picture, I own one and they have a critical design bug (or maybe a deliberate “feature”) that self-destroys the traction battery pack and renders the car a total-loss brick if you let its conventional 12 volt battery (all EV’s have them for powering accessories and systems) go dead for more than a few days - even if you leave it plugged in for charging!

Supposing that man is contributing to climate change to a significant degree, and supposing that climate change is a crisis, let alone a problem…

I question some of the statements in the article.
First, the hyperlink doesn’t work, of " By comparison, U.S. oil and gas subsidies in 2015 and 2016 averaged an eye-popping $15 billion, according to a Natural Resources Defense Council study." It goes to a contribute to the NRDC page.

For contrast, see

The Federal govt. is definitely holding its thumb on the scale, and environment special interests want the government to put its thumb on the scale. Part of a tendency of progressives and here on this forum of not trusting the people with economic decisions.

[A big example of that was the CAFE standards imposed in the 1970s and early 1980s. Intended side effect was to get Americans to drive smaller less polluting cars, and drive them less. Instead the public bought trucks not subject to the regulation.]

Quote from the article, to be questioned: “As my colleague David Reichmuth, an auto engineer, likes to say, the future of transportation is electric.”
– James Kunstler (Peak Oil) would point out that there aren’t enough, never will be enough, solar panel or wind turbines (or bad-bad hydropower dams) to meet that demand. Instead he sees a future where transportation is biologically pedestrian, i.e. walking, bicycling, riding a horse. (Excerpt for sailing ships and boats, a sort of wind power…)

The most extreme environmentalists agree with Kunstler. As they see it, the future of a saved planet is degrowth: degrowth of the economy and consumption, and degrowth of the human population. Smaller by > 50%.

Now, instead of nudge nudge government put a thumb on economic actions, try persuading the public that this is needed, to become more like environment no-consumption ascetic saints.