Home | About | Donate

Our Power: Battling Austerity with a Bold Green Vision

Our Power: Battling Austerity with a Bold Green Vision

Avi Lewis

Avi Lewis delivered the opening keynote at the 9th annual Advocacy Conference of Public Interest Alberta, entitled “A Just and Fair Alberta: Making It Happen,” on April 9 in Edmonton. PIA “exists to foster an understanding of the importance of public spaces, services and institutions in Albertans’ lives, and to build a network of people and organizations committed to advancing the public interest.” Here’s the (lightly condensed) text of Avi’s rousing, wide-ranging speech.

Thank you for connecting the dots, Mr. Lewis.

From the article:

"I have here a report released just 3 weeks ago, the work of more than 70 Canadian scientists, engineers and economists. It’s called “Acting on Climate Change: Solutions from Canadian Scholars.” It is peer-reviewed, meticulously detailed, and utterly convincing.

"It says that a 100% renewable energy system is possible in Canada in just 20 years time."

I am posting this since "Whoazzer" or one of his pals will no doubt soon show up to insist that the situation is hopeless, that converting to a fossil free economy is not possible or would cost too much, etc.

And this should be added, too as offset to those Paid Posters who try to malign Naomi Klein or her partner, Avi Lewis by insisting that both are tainted due to Rockefeller $:

"The day after the People’s Climate March, members of the Rockefeller family and one of the Rockefeller foundations announced their intention to divest from fossil fuels. Just think about that: the heirs of the Standard Oil fortune declaring that fossil fuel investments are immoral. Talk about a sea change."

Many thanks to Avi Lewis and Naomi Klein an international power couple who are more than capable of advancing real environmental and political change. This message on solar is one of the few bright spots in our dismal time. I first noticed this kind of specific insight and communicative ability with the writing and criticism of John Kenneth Galbraith and later with C. Wright Mills. It is an invaluable resource, and thanks to Common Dreams for making it available to us.

Mega churches are not teaching renewable energy. Mega churches are teaching the glory of Armageddon and the end of the world. The mammon corporate empires church followers grin with glee. These church followers think “see I told you so” rather than thinking about their duties as stewards of this earth. The mammon church followers cannot get enough Armageddon activities such as atomic blasts, Ebola, genocide, pollution, wars, torture and prisons, one nation under their god. In God we trust is not their modus operandi.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I grew tomato sprouts in the winter of 2010 with only solar heat. My next target is ripening tomatoes (58 degrees or better) in January. In Alberta this would require great insulation, but we could do it. My system's strengths are safety and low cost.

If you need to warm your building up to 68 degrees at 6:00 a.m. on a winter morning before sunrise, you might look at my Warwick prototype. We can work with existing hydronic heating systems. Ground mount is less expensive, otherwise we're nicer to your roof than most systems.

The bold green vision can be done, but people need to go a bit beyond hearing great speeches and then going home. That's the problem. They never seem to get to step two. Oh well...